TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82 Public Alpha version

VK3KYY

TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82 Public Alpha version

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:22 am

A public Alpha version of the OpenGD77 firmware is now available for the TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82

Important.
This is Alpha version firmware. It has been tested on at least 10 different radios, by various people, but you use it at your own risk

There appears to be at least 3 hardware versions of this radio, but the firmware will only work correctly on one version

The 2 versions which do not work have the following symptoms

1. Keypad does not work. Display works, but it's not possible to control the radio
2. Radio works but Rx audio is unintelligible

If the firmware does not work with your radio, please backup the Flash, the Backup Registers and the MCU ROM and post a link so we can download and analyse them

Then reload the official firmware

To install the firmware you will need the latest OpenGD77CPS downloads/PC_CPS/Latest/OpenGD77CPSInst ... .22.01.exe

Firmware files are here
downloads/MD2017/Firmware/2c767f719dbb4 ... 956ba48ad/

Installation is basically the same for as other radios.
  • Put the radio into firmware update mode.
    On the MD2017/RT-82, this is achived by holding the PTT and the Orange button on the top, and turning the power on.
    The display on the radio should be blank but the LED on the top of the radio should be flashing red and green
  • Connect the USB cable from the radio to the PC
  • Using the Windows Device manager, check under Universal Serial Bus devices, that a device named "STM Device in DFU mode" is in the list and is working i.e the device driver is now showing an exclamation symbol

If the device manager does not show the STM DFU device, you may need to manually install the device driver, which can be downloaded from here
    downloads/drivers/Dfuse_3.0.6_drivers.zip
  • Run the OpenGD77CPS
    Select the radio type as MD2017/RT-82; this is the same item in the list as the MD9600 and UV380 etc, because all these radios use the same CPU/MCU
  • From the Extras menu, select "Firmware loader"
  • Select the radio as MD-2017/RT-82
  • If you have not loaded the firmware onto a MD9600 or UV380 or DM1701 using the CPS, you will need to download the official firmware or the TYT MD9600 from her
    The official donor firmware file https://www.passion-radio.com/index.php ... chment=760
    and extract the file named MD9600-CSV(2571V5)-V26.45.bin

Note. We use a MD9600 donor file for all radios which use the same CPU / MCU
  • Select this file by pressing the "Select official firmware (donor) file" button
  • Now select the OpenGD77 firmware .zip file

This will start the firmware upload

After the firmware has been loaded on the radio it will reboot
  • On the radio, press the Menu key to acknoledge that the Settings have been updated. In this case it means the settings have been initialised, then select the language, and press the Menu key
  • Next, in the CPS open Extras -> OpenGD77 Support and use the "Backup Flash" and "Backup Registers" function to backup all the data in the radio
  • If you use OpenGD77 on another radio, you can use the same codeplug with the MD2017, so simply upload the codeplug to the radio

If you don't have an OpenGD77 codeplug, you will need to make a basic codeplug, by entering your DMR ID and callsign into the CPS, and optionally setup some channels and then upload that codeplug to the radio

The radio should now operate almost exactly the same as other OpenGD77 compatible radios.

I have made a video of the whole process, which I have uploaded to YouTube and which should be available to view soon

youtu.be/ZvFfMJ_FyUI

Currently the trackball/joystick is not suported, instead use the Up/Down buttons on the side of the radio to move up / down in menus , frequencies and channels etc
Use keys P1 and P2 as Left and Right
Use the button on the side of the radio above the PTT as button SK2
Use the centre push button function of the trackball as button SK1
The Orange button has the same function as other radios which have an orange button

See the OpenGD77 User Guide for details of the functionality of SK1, SK2, Orange, Left and Right buttons

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... r_Guide.md

Known issues

1. Some older radios may have incompatible hardware. If you radio doesn't worth with the firmware, you will need to revert to the official firmware
2. Speaker clicks when there is a beep etc. This is also a problem in the official firmware, cause by electronic design errors. We may be able to implement some form of "click suppresson" at a later date.
3. Audio levels for FM and DMR are different and also audio levels on DMR may be lower than ideal. We will need to investigate a solution for this

PR7LDR

Re: TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82 Public Alpha version

Post by PR7LDR » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:27 am

Thank you again Roger. Your efforts are always welcome. Nice to see that whenever you have spare time, you are working in the project.

Keep it going!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:30 am

PR7LDR wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:27 am
Nice to see that whenever you have spare time, you are working in the project.
LOL

I probably spend too much time on this when I should be doing other things like repairing leaks in my house ;-)

PR7LDR

Post by PR7LDR » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 am

vk3kyy wrote:
PR7LDR wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:27 am
Nice to see that whenever you have spare time, you are working in the project.
LOL

I probably spend too much time on this when I should be doing other things like repairing leaks in my house ;-)
If Brazil were just a little closer to Australia, I would help you... :lol:

ct2igy

Post by ct2igy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:38 pm

obrigado por toda esta lofada de ar fresco
tinha meu rt-82 como pisa papeis e agora renasceu
muito obrigado mais uma vez por todo seu trabalho
73s de ct2igy

ADMIN-Google-Translate -> English wrote: thanks for all this breath of fresh air
I had my RT-82 as a paperweight and now it has been reborn
Thank you very much again for all your work
73s by ct2igy

mw1coe

Post by mw1coe » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 am

Just Installed the Open GD77

Finally an option for this Radio as It was always Let Down by the lack of Decent Firmware

I have the Non-GPS Version but I like the ability to maybe add something in the future..

Can GPS be added my using the Pins on the Speaker Mic Port and Injecting Data in or would an Internal Option be the only way to go ?

Rob..

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 am

mw1coe wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 am
Can GPS be added my using the Pins on the Speaker Mic Port and Injecting Data in or would an Internal Option be the only way to go ?
No. As far as we know, it not possible to connect a GPS via the speaker mic port.
We don't have a pinout for that connector, and I doubt there are connections on there for external GPS

It would however, be relatively simple to fit a GPS to the Non-GPS version, as the PCB's are the same, its just the GPS module and the GPS antenna won't be fitted

mw1coe

Post by mw1coe » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 am

Hmm OK thanks..

I see some investigation and as long as it's just a case of fitting a Chip and an Antenna it might be an interesting Mod..

Rob..

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:13 am

mw1coe wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 am
Hmm OK thanks..

I see some investigation and as long as it's just a case of fitting a Chip and an Antenna it might be an interesting Mod..

Rob..
Take a look at this video I made

youtu.be/E-AY2iX2qmE

Skip to the 20 minute mark in the video

You can see the GPS antenna on one side of the main PCB and the GPS module on the other

This means you'd need to unsolder the SMA antenna plug, as you need to get to both sides of the radio
But its not rocket science, its a normal through hole connection and very simple soldering

14FRS498

Post by 14FRS498 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:35 am

Hello and thank you for this fw, it works very well on my two 2017s.
Great job.