Baofeng DM-1701 programmed & seems to be working but no receive audio on DMR

K7XTN

Baofeng DM-1701 programmed & seems to be working but no receive audio on DMR

Post by K7XTN » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:26 am

Hi all, I'm new to DMR and last week got a DM-1701, loaded OpenGD77 firmware and created a code plug and loaded it onto the radio, and everything seems to be working except that I'm not receiving any audio on DMR, neither from repeaters or the parrot. And just to confirm one obvious point, I have registered for a DMR ID, received it, and have entered it in the radio. I'm running v. R2023.09.21.01 of the OpenGD77 CPS and firmware v. 20230915173056 [ad23585 D] CPU: TYT.

Quick overview what happens:
1) I'll tune to a SeattleDMR repeater, e.g., WW7PSR on 440.775 +5.000 CC2, and set the contact to the parrot (9998, TS1) and when I key up, I get the red transmit light, and a transmit timer starts counting up. I'll do a brief verbal count, and after I unkey, the green receive light comes on but I don't hear any audio.
2) I turned off the DMR filter and TS filter via the quick menu settings, and still don't hear anything. DMR Filter had been set to TGL (which includes all the SeattleDMR talk groups, including the parrot).
3) I don't think it matters on DMR, but I also tried turning the squelch off in the radio options menu (i.e., turned to 0% for UHF) but no effect. However, if I use the side key 3 to open squelch (press & hold) while the green receive light is on (e.g., right after I try transmitting on the parrot), I hear a DMR signal (presumably the parrot) but it's not decoding.
4) I've also loaded a bunch of area analog repeaters, and those work great on both transmit and receive. I've had several QSOs on analog. So it's not a bad speaker or bad mic on the radio.
5) I've tried several other area DMR repeaters, W7ACS, W7AW and K7NWS among others. It's maybe worth mentioning that W7AW is in West Seattle with a big hill between me and it (I'm in NE Seattle), and when I try to transmit on W7AW on the parrot or one of the talk groups (e.g., Seattle 1) I get a "timed out" error on the radio. So it seems like I'm getting through on the repeater side, and for some reason my radio isn't recognizing / decoding the DMR signal.
6) I've also tried hailing 3 talk groups on the repeaters: Seattle 1, 803153, TS1; Seattle 2, 813153, TS2, and King County, 333153, TS2. As with the parrot, the transmission looks good, and a couple of times I got a green light for a received signal (presumably hams returning my CQ call) but no audio.
7) I originally had the parrot entered as a private call, based on what I found online it seemed to be the normal etiquette. But two of my local DMR elmers told me that the parrot should be set to group call and thought that it might not respond to a private call. I tried changing the parrot to group call, and even deleted the contact and re-entered it as a new group call contact, but it was exactly the same.

The only thing one of my DMR elmers suggested was that OpenGD77 might require me to specify a Rx contact as well as a Tx contact. But I don't seen an option to specify a Rx contact, and don't see that mentioned in the OpenGD77 manual.

I'll attach screen shots of my channel and contact lists and examples from each in case there are any obviously incorrect settings there.

The other thing I'll mention is that I've searched this problem on this forum as well as on Google and saw a couple of posts about the same problem, but but don't seem to apply. The first is a post on this forum where the issue had to do using the radio with hotspots: viewtopic.php?t=1827. The second post was on Reddit and sounds like it could have been the same audio issue I'm having, but the solution was disabling a Talk Group Match setting that doesn't appear to exist my version of the OpenGD77 firmware, and a subsequent user posted a follow-up on the Reddit thread saying they had the same problem & disabling the TG Match didn't fix it, but there were no further posts on that thread (4 yrs ago): https://www.reddit.com/r/Baofeng/commen ... ?rdt=54341.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies if this post is excessively long.
Christian K7XTN
Attachments
DMR channels list.jpg
DMR channels list.jpg (118.45 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
DMR contacts list.jpg
DMR contacts list.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
DMR BEARS W Tiger channel detail.jpg
DMR BEARS W Tiger channel detail.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 3022 times

K7XTN

Re: Baofeng DM-1701 programmed & seems to be working but no receive audio on DMR

Post by K7XTN » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:48 am

Brief update: I ordered a second DM-1701 from Amazon in the remote chance that there was something wrong with the 1st radio. The 2nd radio arrived today, and this evening I programmed it (kept the original firmware) with the Baofeng CPS. I just put in the Parrot and Seattle 1 TG on 2 of the DMR repeaters (WW7PSR & K7NWS). And I had exactly the same thing happen with the 2nd radio as with the first: when I tried the Parrot on Seattle 1 on the WW7PSR repeater to the north of me, it appears to transmit fine (e.g., red transmit LED, and I get a green receive light for about as long as I transmit) but no audio. Similar thing on K7NWS. And similar when I tried calling CQ on the Seattle 1 (only tried that once to avoid antagonizing people in case I was getting through).

Then I tried putting the first DM-1701 on Talkaround, tuned to DMR repeater to the north of me, while I tried transmitting on the Parrot and lo and behold, I could hear my audio (audio transmitted from the 2nd Baofeng and received on the 1st). It's late and I need to go to bed, so don't have time to do more.

One other thing. As I understand it, RadioID.net keeps a record of the last date/time you were on a DMR repeater and the last TG you accessed, but my log show no contacts. So that presumably means that I'm not actually getting through to any of the TGs on the repeater in spite of what looks like a received signal when I transmit. Is it possible there's a problem with my DMR ID (3128819)? I copied and pasted it directly in the DMR ID window on the CPS. Is there somewhere else I need to enter it on the radio?
Again, thanks for any suggestions.
73, Christian K7XTN

F1RMB

Re: Baofeng DM-1701 programmed & seems to be working but no receive audio on DMR

Post by F1RMB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:59 am

Looks like a TimeSlot configuration issue.
Better off checking what this repeater offers, and TG/etc configuration.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:30 am

K7XTN wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:48 am
Brief update: I ordered a second DM-1701 from Amazon in the remote chance that there was something wrong with the 1st radio. The 2nd radio arrived today, and this evening I programmed it (kept the original firmware) with the Baofeng CPS. I just put in the Parrot and Seattle 1 TG on 2 of the DMR repeaters (WW7PSR & K7NWS). And I had exactly the same thing happen with the 2nd radio as with the first: when I tried the Parrot on Seattle 1 on the WW7PSR repeater to the north of me, it appears to transmit fine (e.g., red transmit LED, and I get a green receive light for about as long as I transmit) but no audio. Similar thing on K7NWS. And similar when I tried calling CQ on the Seattle 1 (only tried that once to avoid antagonizing people in case I was getting through).

Then I tried putting the first DM-1701 on Talkaround, tuned to DMR repeater to the north of me, while I tried transmitting on the Parrot and lo and behold, I could hear my audio (audio transmitted from the 2nd Baofeng and received on the 1st). It's late and I need to go to bed, so don't have time to do more.

One other thing. As I understand it, RadioID.net keeps a record of the last date/time you were on a DMR repeater and the last TG you accessed, but my log show no contacts. So that presumably means that I'm not actually getting through to any of the TGs on the repeater in spite of what looks like a received signal when I transmit. Is it possible there's a problem with my DMR ID (3128819)? I copied and pasted it directly in the DMR ID window on the CPS. Is there somewhere else I need to enter it on the radio?
Again, thanks for any suggestions.
73, Christian K7XTN
Any radioid.net activity log is delayed and I doubt that they check every DMR backbone for activity.
You should check the activity on the DMR net provider.

I searched a bit under https://seattledmr.org/ but I could not find any status page

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:23 am

It may not be causing your problem but I can see one potential error.

Your screenshot shows that you have defined a DMR ID of 312488 for the channel. That looks like it is a repeater ID. Although repeaters have their own ID it is only used by the network and is never sent 'over the air' . You therefore never need to specify the ID for a repeater.

The DMR ID box on the channel page is there if you need to specify a different user ID for that channel. Not a common requirement. It should normally be left blank or set to your own user ID.

Colin G4EML

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:31 am

Yes the ID he put on the channel is the repeater ID

312488 K7NWS Seattle Washington United States

Leave it blank on all channels unless you have several ID for different usage and want to override your own ID (like on a commercial or private channel)

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:33 am

Nice catch.

K7XTN

Post by K7XTN » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:16 pm

Thanks @SA0BUX @F1RMB and @G4EML. Acknowledging that I added several repeater IDs in the channel entries in the off chance they were necessary; I just saw "DMR ID" and in desperation thought that might be the problem. I'll remove those.

I don't know if @F1RMD meant that I might have the wrong TS, but just to check, I tried changing the TS but didn't have any luck either with the parrot or Seattle 1 TG.

Is there somewhere I need to separately indicate a Rx TG?

I got a code plug for a GD77 from an EmComm colleague and have been working through trying to recreate the entries in the Baofeng CPS for the 2nd DM-1701. It has been interesting, because the structure is fundamentally different than what I understood from watching various examples of building code plugs online. My colleague's code plug creates a separate TG for each contact and lists the TG in the Rx TG entry for the channel. I may have misunderstood how the code plug works; the GD77 CPS and the Baofeng CPS are very similar but it looks like Baofeng, in the channel entry, includes both a dropdown for the contact and the TG, and the GD77 only includes a dropdown for a Rx TG.

BTW, @F1RMD, I saw that you're in Grenoble. I attended Universite Lyon II as an exchange student back in the '90s and fondly recall a couple of trips to Grenoble.

K7XTN

Post by K7XTN » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:55 am

Another brief follow-up. I got the 2nd Baofeng DM-1701 programmed with a code plug I made by walking through my Elmer's GD77 code plug and duplicating the structure. And I get exactly the same result as with the 1st Baofeng with the OpenGD77 firmware: everything seems to work fine but there's no receive audio on DMR. That would seem to suggest the problem is a feature of the hardware.
If I transmit on the parrot with the 2nd radio and listen on reverse (press & hold #) with the first radio, I can hear my own audio. I'll put an ear piece in on the first radio, and can do a test count on the 2nd radio and the audio comes through. I'm perplexed.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:03 am

K7XTN wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:55 am
Another brief follow-up. I got the 2nd Baofeng DM-1701 programmed with a code plug I made by walking through my Elmer's GD77 code plug and duplicating the structure. And I get exactly the same result as with the 1st Baofeng with the OpenGD77 firmware: everything seems to work fine but there's no receive audio on DMR. That would seem to suggest the problem is a feature of the hardware.
If I transmit on the parrot with the 2nd radio and listen on reverse (press & hold #) with the first radio, I can hear my own audio. I'll put an ear piece in on the first radio, and can do a test count on the 2nd radio and the audio comes through. I'm perplexed.
Post your codeplug that doesn't work or mail it to me at sa0bux@hotmail.com

Do you hear something on analogue channels or other sounds in the speaker ?
If radio #1 only works with an ear piece plugged in it could be a bad mic/speaker contact.