DM-1701 screen clipping

VK3KYY

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 pm

You also need to change

Code: Select all

#if defined(PLATFORM_MD380) || defined(PLATFORM_MDUV380) ||  defined(PLATFORM_MD2017)
#define MENU_MAX_DISPLAYED_ENTRIES 7 // Should be an odd value
#elif defined(PLATFORM_DM1701)
#define MENU_MAX_DISPLAYED_ENTRIES 5 // Should be an odd value
#else
#define MENU_MAX_DISPLAYED_ENTRIES 3 // Should be an odd value
#endif

Compiled and packaged firmware binary

downloads/MDUV380_DM1701/Firmware/Exper ... T_HACK.zip

HA5DS

Post by HA5DS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:05 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:31 pm
Becasue you don't need to modify all that stuff

Just move the whole display down 8 lines
No, that's completely wrong. I don't want the bottom 2 pixels of the zone display cropped.
Also moving down the menu 8 pixels is not necessary, leaving everything as-is is better. You don't see the top title of the bezel, but you also don't cut the last row in half, and cut the bottom of the battery graphics, etc. (and the radio info displays have a little flashing arrow at the bottom for navigation).
VK3KYY wrote:
Look at the code I posted, it shows how to move everything down 8 lines.
I looked at the code, but I still don't want to move down everything by 8 pixel.
VK3KYY wrote:
But adding a new build platform is time consuming, as you have to look for every line in the code that has PLATFORM_DM1701 and add PLATFORM_RT84 apart from the places which affect the display
Sure that will be a one time task, but doing that will provide a better user experience for the DM-1701 users. Of course there is always the option to ignore that the DM-1701 needs special treatment, because even there are some radios which hardware are identical, the bezel in the DM-1701 block more than 8 pixels from the display.

But again, I don't want to convince anyone, I also don't want my solution to be accepted as on official solution. I'm completely statisfied that the source code is released, and I can fixed this for myself. Thanks for that!

I did the .zip file you asked for with my modifications but that won't be needed anymore I suppose. :D

HA5DS

Post by HA5DS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:50 pm
Compiled and packaged firmware binary

That still crops the left part of the mode text, the right part of the % sign (it looks much worse in life than in the photo), and the left part of the frame around the TG, and crops the selected Zone, and channel number in the zone:
1701_photo_1.jpg
1701_photo_1.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 548 times
You think this solution is better than this?
1701_photo_2.jpg
1701_photo_2.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 548 times

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:17 pm

Well, you are doing your own special version which just suits you

Thats fine.

The bezel on these radios obscures at least the top 8 pixels of the screen when viewed directly from the front
In fact its more like 10 lines.

So if we eventually do a fix it would not use the first 8 lines, and the menu's item numbers would need to be reduce by 2 etc to keep the code generic across all radios

I'm not sure that its going to be practical to do a version which also reduces the screen width by 8 or 16 pixles because the bezel obscures that as well.

We have to Support 3 completely different architectures, MK22 devices with black and white LCD panels, MD9600 type devices with STM32 processors and the same small black / white LCD panel, UV380 / DM1701 / MD2017 type devices with 160 x 128 colour LCD panels.

There are thousands of lines of code, for the UI and in order that this is maintainable, we can't have individual modifications to any of the UI files.
i.e the UI files are effectively common across all platforms, so making changes just for one sub-platform becomes a support nightmare.

Anyway. I think the binary version I posted in a previous post is almost OK, and will be the basis of when we get around to implementing this fully

Actually I noticed some hender rendering issues on the sweep scan, but I'm not sure why that is happening

But at the moment I'm working on the Beta release of the MD2017 / RT-82, which must take priority

ct1esj

Post by ct1esj » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:23 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:17 pm

Thats fine.

The bezel on these radios obscures at least the top 8 pixels of the screen when viewed directly from the front
In fact its more like 10 lines.

So if we eventually do a fix it would not use the first 8 lines, and the menu's item numbers would need to be reduce by 2 etc to keep the code generic across all radios

I'm not sure that its going to be practical to do a version which also reduces the screen width by 8 or 16 pixles because the bezel obscures that as well.

We have to Support 3 completely different architectures, MK22 devices with black and white LCD panels, MD9600 type devices with STM32 processors and the same small black / white LCD panel, UV380 / DM1701 / MD2017 type devices with 160 x 128 colour LCD panels.

There are thousands of lines of code, for the UI and in order that this is maintainable, we can't have individual modifications to any of the UI files.
i.e the UI files are effectively common across all platforms, so making changes just for one sub-platform becomes a support nightmare.

Anyway. I think the binary version I posted in a previous post is almost OK, and will be the basis of when we get around to implementing this fully

Actually I noticed some hender rendering issues on the sweep scan, but I'm not sure why that is happening

But at the moment I'm working on the Beta release of the MD2017 / RT-82, which must take priority
Yes Roger, it's almost perfect, only the space between the name of the zones and the name of the channel could be reduced. Everything else looks fine to me, menus, etc.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:33 pm

ct1esj wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:23 pm

Yes Roger, it's almost perfect, only the space between the name of the zones and the name of the channel could be reduced. Everything else looks fine to me, menus, etc.
OK. Give me 5 minutes. I have moved the Zone up by 8 pixels, I just need to rebuild

PS.

I had not noticed the cropping on the right side of the screen for the % and of course there is also slight cropping on the left, because of the stupid plastic on these radios.

I actually have a laser cutter, so perhaps I should make a design for a replacement acrylic and post it

Probably there are online cutting services in china that are cheap

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm

ct1esj wrote:

OK.

Try

downloads/MDUV380_DM1701/Firmware/Exper ... HACK_2.zip

Zone name has been moved up, as we have a definition for this position in the code.

i.e.

#if defined(PLATFORM_DM1701)
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS - 8)
#else
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS )
#endif
Note.

Like I said previously.

Because the RT-84 is a DM-1701 with different case which has a wider window over the LCD panel, we will need to make a separate build for the RT-82

Also. I think there is some problem with the header rendering on the VFO sweep scan , which I don't understand, and perhaps not entirely related to my change, because the only think I changed the position of is the Zone text

And, I think possibly using the hardware scrolling in the LCD panel may be an even simpler option, but that will take several hours to investigate and like I said I want to release the MD2017 / RT-82 / V2017 public Alpha later today

ct1esj

Post by ct1esj » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:48 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm
ct1esj wrote:

OK.

Try

Zone name has been moved up, as we have a definition for this position in the code.

i.e.

#else
#endif
Note.

Like I said previously.

Because the RT-84 is a DM-1701 with different case which has a wider window over the LCD panel, we will need to make a separate build for the RT-82

Also. I think there is some problem with the header rendering on the VFO sweep scan , which I don't understand, and perhaps not entirely related to my change, because the only think I changed the position of is the Zone text

And, I think possibly using the hardware scrolling in the LCD panel may be an even simpler option, but that will take several hours to investigate and like I said I want to release the MD2017 / RT-82 / V2017 public Alpha later today
Perfect now Roger, everything is in the exact place where it is supposed to be. I'm going to leave it installed because now I see everything. Thank you to you and also to HA5DS who had the power to spark interest in this subject.

HA5DS

Post by HA5DS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
I would argue if it just suits me or every DM-1701 user, but all right. :)
VK3KYY wrote:
I'm not saying that also. The two outermost text fields needs to be moved a little bit to the inside, and also the frame of the TG needs to be modified by a couple pixels. Since (almost) every text position is already done by #defines, it's a very simple thing to do.
VK3KYY wrote:
I needed to introduce 7 #if-#else defines form the PLATFORM_DM1701 in the entire code to change which row needs to be rendered in the display. And even if you add new platform, you never need to change this part of the code again, because it's an IF DM1701 than render these rows, ELSE for every other platform render those rows. I think it's far from a support nightmare.

Also if you are touching up things, I noticed some disorder in drawing an inverse rectangle for the mode text. There are three occasions when it's done in uiUtilities.c, and it's not consistent. Sometimes it starts from x=0, sometimes from x=1. And the width of the rectangle is not always right, sometimes its 2 pixels more on the right, not 1.

TA1ECA

Post by TA1ECA » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm
ct1esj wrote:

OK.

Try

i.e.

#else
#endif
Note.

Like I said previously.

Good weekend everyone. I wonder if this patch can work on UV390? My old UV390's screen adjustment is not precise. It's a bit offset. I tried to reposition the screen, but it didn't go very well. When I look at the screen, I see that the edges of the acrylic window, block the top line of the screen. I can live with that. But I'd like to try this patch if it's a simple solution.