Thank you! (DM-1701)

KC7RBW

Thank you! (DM-1701)

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:47 am

I just picked up a DM-1701 so that I'd have a second radio capable of running OpenGD77, and I'm very pleased. Everything seems to work great!

The display is positioned so that the top and sides are hard to see, but that will be easily worked around by some slight UI adjustments. And the button differences will take some getting used to. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased! The larger screen should leave room for extra data on the display, which will be nice.

Thank you to all who made it possible.

PS: Some may complain that the display doesn't take advantage of color (yet), but I love the simple black-and-white scheme.

VK3KYY

Re: Thank you! (DM-1701)

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:47 am
I just picked up a DM-1701 so that I'd have a second radio capable of running OpenGD77, and I'm very pleased. Everything seems to work great!

The display is positioned so that the top and sides are hard to see, but that will be easily worked around by some slight UI adjustments. And the button differences will take some getting used to. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased! The larger screen should leave room for extra data on the display, which will be nice.

Thank you to all who made it possible.

PS: Some may complain that the display doesn't take advantage of color (yet), but I love the simple black-and-white scheme.
Not using colour is generally a deliberate choice as conveying meaning by colour alone can be problematic as it can often depend on cultural factors.
And of course many people have some sort of colorblindless or visual impactment

We will probably add a feature to allow the background and foreground colors to be set by the operator, but writing the user interface for this is not trivial unless the operator just enters a number Red Green Blue values as numbers ( not hexidecimal as that would be difficult to enter on the numerical keypad)

Re Screen clipping at the top

We will probably have to set the firmware to not use the top and bottom 8 pixels, and loose one line of the menus

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:07 pm

Mine clips almost a full character on the left, about half of one on the right, and just a few pixels on the top. None of the bottom is clipped on mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pyCiSUe3NW1VWwHX6

It's possible there's a lot of variation in the build.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Build quality with the position of the display is a problem with these radio, and I think people may need to open their radios and reposition the display if it's fitted really badly