VFO changes seems not be saved to persistance on DM1701

BD4VOW

VFO changes seems not be saved to persistance on DM1701

Post by BD4VOW » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:29 am

In my DM1701, any changes to VFO mode, I tried both SK1+Green(Quick menu ui) and SK3+Green(Channel detail ui) to save, but after turned off and turned on, changes seems lost, and maybe they have not been saved to storage.

VK3KYY

Re: VFO changes seems not be saved to persistance on DM1701

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:35 am

OK

I also noticed this when I loaded the firmware yesterday

I will check, probably something in the conditional compile is missing

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:38 am

I think I have found it

I will compile and test on my DM-1701

Probably some of the #if defined(PLATFORM_XXX) can be removed in this codebase, because its unlikely that the non UI code will every be common with the GD77 (MK22) radios

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:03 am

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:42 am

See

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2742

For source code

Note.

We had to fix several bugs today, so the code is not as stable as I would normally like it to be , before I released souces.

BD4VOW

Post by BD4VOW » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:23 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:42 am
See

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2742

For source code

Note.

We had to fix several bugs today, so the code is not as stable as I would normally like it to be , before I released souces.
Tested and fixed!
Thank you Roger!

Amo

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm

Normally we would not release the source code without much more QA and testing, and cleaning etc etc

But hopefully it will be useful to you, creating a Chinese language version

BTW.

How many characters is the normal Chinese font used by the official firmware.

I don't know much about the Chinese language, would you use simplified character set ? How many characters would be required in the font ?

BD4VOW

Post by BD4VOW » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:41 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm
Normally we would not release the source code without much more QA and testing, and cleaning etc etc

But hopefully it will be useful to you, creating a Chinese language version
I've started reading the code.
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 pm
BTW.

How many characters is the normal Chinese font used by the official firmware.

I don't know much about the Chinese language, would you use simplified character set ? How many characters would be required in the font ?
Referring to GB2312, usually the smallest Simplified Chinese character library needs 6763 characters, but there are about 3000 commonly used characters.

However, in embedded scenarios, if resources are very limited, there are usually several different levels of approach:

1. Resources are extremely limited, then we only need to support Chinese display of menus and functions, and at this time we only need to analyze multilingual files , extract all the Chinese characters used in the interface, usually there are less than 100 characters, we can re-index and encode these used characters, and then we will find the corresponding Chinese characters from the Chinese font. Extract it and generate font data corresponding to at least 16×16 dot matrix display, so that the Chinese menu can be displayed with very few resources. but in this scenario, the user’s data does not support Chinese display, because we don’t know which Chinese characters are used in his contact name.

2. Embedded with GB2312 font support, this can display 6763 Simplified Chinese characters, which can basically meet the display of 99.75% of the usage scenarios. In this scenario, we use standard encoding for the multilingual file content. and the Chinese characters in the user data can be displayed almost completely.

3. Addition to the second case, the Chinese input method is supplemented to allow the user to switch between Chinese and English input on the data input interface.

4. For Traditional Chinese display, We can use the same approach in different branch following BIG-5 Instead of GB-2312.

5. A better solution for full CJK( Including simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean)display Would be unicode or UTF-8, But I haven't estimated the Possibility yet, I need to understand the current detail flash layout to check if we have enough space.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:08 am

OK

Already if you could encode the characters used for the menu to maximum 127 characters, you could use the same method as the Japanese verison, with no othe changes

You would need to write a tool to encode the 127 characters used in the menus to your 127 symbols in the font

For full character support you would need to put the character set in Flash, perhaps allocate the last 1Mb for characters

I think the official firmware uses Flash for the characters, but we did not do that because it was not necessary for English, which was the initial language that was supported.

BD4VOW

Post by BD4VOW » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:55 am

I tried to start a new post for Chinese UI implementation progress, but server return "403 Forbidden" every time I post, and all edited contents lost what ever back or retry, this reply is for testing purpose.