DM-1701 received today

VK3KYY

DM-1701 received today

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:50 am

I received my DM-1701 today

It has been delivered quickly, only 6 days after ordering on AliExpress

I have not installed the OpenGD77 firmware on the radio yet

One thing I notice with the official firmware is a loud click at the end of the beep sounds

I do not know yet if the OpenGD77 also has this problem on this radio

VK3KYY

Re: DM-1701 received today

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:02 am

BD4VOW

Post by BD4VOW » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:00 am

Yes, the plastic screen protector of my DM1701 also has the problem that it will fall off, and the viewing window is a bit small, and the top icon needs to be turned forward at a certain angle to see the full view. And this plastic screen protector is not flat, like a convex lens. Moreover, the cover of the programming port of DM1701 will be loosened by itself.
But DM-1802/DM-1701B/RT-84 do not have the above problems at all. They should be an shell-improved version of the DM-1701, and the up and down buttons have also been changed to a vertical layout. It’s a pity that they are not selling anymore, but judging from the review videos on youtube, it should have been sold before, and may be a lot of owners are still putting them in the drawer to collect dust.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:14 am

I have almost fixed the problem with the clear plastic

My wife has scraped off the black paint, and used actylic polish to make the surface shiny.

There is still a slight line where the edge of the paint was located, but its much better than it was before

Another option would be to laser cut a piece of clear acrylic to fit in place of the orignal acrylic, but the acrylic would be flat and not different thickness

Also designing the exact shape to be cut by the laser printer would be difficult.

And... My laser cutter is currently not working correctly, because I must polish all the mirrors becuase they have become tarnished :-(

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:16 am

Re: RT-84

I checked but I do not think it is still manufactured

And unfortunatly DM-1802 / DM-1701B does not seem to be available outside China :-(

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:10 am

I have ordered last retevis rt84 from Retevis, contacting local store. The same is with baofeng 1802 - none of those two radios will be produced in the future also - i've got response by official baofeng and retevis producer.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am

Received my Baofeng DM-1701 yesterday.

One thing I didn't thought about was that it would be an US charger in the box, but I found a US-EU plug converter in my junkbox.
Wonder why they use 10 V/1A and not 12V ?, maybe the charger base can handle 12 V ?

And that curved display cover is not the best, did you opened the radio to erase the black display mask ?

BTW: CPU was STM

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am

One thing I didn't thought about was that it would be an US charger in the box, but I found a US-EU plug converter in my junkbox.
Wonder why they use 10 V/1A and not 12V ?, maybe the charger base can handle 12 V ?

And that curved display cover is not the best, did you opened the radio to erase the black display mask ?

When I removed the protective film the acrylic curved display cover fell out !

So I scraped away the paint at the top, but the surface was then matt and I could not see the text.

So I polished it with toothpase and a piece of fabric, and surprisingly it became shiny and transparent again.

I do still have a slighly line at the edge of the paint, but probably if I used something slightly more abrasive and then repolised with toothpaste it would remove the line

I was also thinking of perhasp just cutting a piece of acrylic to fit. Iwould probably just cut a rectangular shape and then fill the two gaps at the top with black coloured hot glue.

We could also reduce the screen height in the display calculations, so the top 4 pixels were not used, but the number of menu items would need to be reduced by 1, because currently 100% of the screen height is used.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am
SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am

When I removed the protective film the acrylic curved display cover fell out !

So I scraped away the paint at the top, but the surface was then matt and I could not see the text.

So I polished it with toothpase and a piece of fabric, and surprisingly it became shiny and transparent again.

I do still have a slighly line at the edge of the paint, but probably if I used something slightly more abrasive and then repolised with toothpaste it would remove the line

I was also thinking of perhasp just cutting a piece of acrylic to fit. Iwould probably just cut a rectangular shape and then fill the two gaps at the top with black coloured hot glue.

We could also reduce the screen height in the display calculations, so the top 4 pixels were not used, but the number of menu items would need to be reduced by 1, because currently 100% of the screen height is used.
Thanks, lets see what happens when I remove the protective.

Watchmakers use "PolyWatch" for polishing the crystal, https://www.polywatch.de/en/products/plastic-polish

But toothpaste will work too ofc.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:25 am

I also tried some polish for rejuvinating car headlights but toothpaste seemed to work equally well