DM-1701 questions

N1EMS

DM-1701 questions

Post by N1EMS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:50 am

Hello,

I have a pair of DM-1701 that have been upgraded to the latest firmware and CPS of OpenGD77. Along with them I have a pair of Retevis speaker mics. Prior to updating with factory 2.03 firmware, the speaker mics worked without a problem.

Post upgrade, the speaker mics do not work. They do not key up, they do not receive audio when connected. Is there something in the firmware that has to be turned on for this to be recognized? My research on the forum do not seem to indicate this has been a problem elsewhere.

Colour themes also do not seem to be taking after flashing when saved. I have looked at the normal and inverted colours, and did seem some posts that this may be broken, might this be the case.

Within CPS 2023.5.20.01, there are missing options in the support window for flashing that exist in support documentation. Have these been upgraded or consolidated out from older versions?

Concerning voice prompts. I noticed that menu items and certain other areas speak the words. In channels and zones, everything is spelled out letter by letter. In one example, I have K10X Bow NH. It spells K-1-O-X-B-O-W-N-H rather than Bow like a bow-tie N-H. This is more of I'm curious how the firmware/system knows to spell versus pronouce what is programmed.

I have browsed the forum extensively looking for my answers, I have not found what I think I am looking for, or the information isn't conclusive. Please be kind in your responses, I am visually impaired, what might be visually obvious to you likely isnt for me, and I could miss something.

Thank you in advance for any responses

Jason N1EMS

F1RMB

Re: DM-1701 questions

Post by F1RMB » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 am

Hi,
N1EMS wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:50 am
Hello,

I have a pair of DM-1701 that have been upgraded to the latest firmware and CPS of OpenGD77. Along with them I have a pair of Retevis speaker mics. Prior to updating with factory 2.03 firmware, the speaker mics worked without a problem.

Post upgrade, the speaker mics do not work. They do not key up, they do not receive audio when connected. Is there something in the firmware that has to be turned on for this to be recognized? My research on the forum do not seem to indicate this has been a problem elsewhere.
Which firmware version ?
I just tried on my DM-1701, the speaker mic is working as intended.
N1EMS wrote:
Colour themes also do not seem to be taking after flashing when saved. I have looked at the normal and inverted colours, and did seem some posts that this may be broken, might this be the case.
I don't get your question.
Colour support works, using the 2023.05.09.
N1EMS wrote:
Within CPS 2023.5.20.01, there are missing options in the support window for flashing that exist in support documentation. Have these been upgraded or consolidated out from older versions?
They are missing because of hardware differences (like, there is no EEPROM in the STM32 platforms).
N1EMS wrote:
Concerning voice prompts. I noticed that menu items and certain other areas speak the words. In channels and zones, everything is spelled out letter by letter. In one example, I have K10X Bow NH. It spells K-1-O-X-B-O-W-N-H rather than Bow like a bow-tie N-H. This is more of I'm curious how the firmware/system knows to spell versus pronouce what is programmed.
Normal behaviour. All known sentences at compilation time are pronounced, everything else is spelled. The firmware doesn't have a text to speech engine builtin.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

N1EMS

Post by N1EMS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:58 am

Thank you for the reply. I am attempting to grab the screen with version info and attach.
Regarding the speaker mics, i have tried both on both radios and they don't seem to connect, the programming cable works just fine. not a big deal at this time for me.

Thank you for the info on voice prompts. This is a far leap ahead of what i had before hand. I truly an grateful for the accessibility and the time the devs invest.
Attachments
n1ems 313161001.png
n1ems 313161001.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:03 am

Hi,

You'd better use the latest beta (2023 05 09).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

N1EMS

Post by N1EMS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:34 am

Thank you.

I seem to have downloaded 4 iterations of the bin file, and in the end chose one that i'm not entirely sure where it came from, nonetheless that was the problem.

may i make a humble suggestion? when compiling, could the XXXXX.bin have a version identifier in the file name?

my best

Jason

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:52 am

Verified that my Baofeng DM-1701 and Retevis speaker mic worked just fine with version 20230509.

On my first DMR radio which was a Retevis RT-84 (same as DM-1701) the connector was broken or maybe bad soldering so that
the internal mic didn't worked but it worked with the external handsfree. But I could program it.
Had to return it to Retevis for repair/replacement.

Have also wondered how much wear and tear these connectors can handle.

Maybe you have some similar problem that is the other way around ?

N1EMS

Post by N1EMS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:01 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. In using the latest firmware as published, I did gain speaker mic back, and I can adjust screen attributes to my personal likings. The downside is the voice prompts are not available. I think this is pending dev time to compile new prompts, if I understand things.

I have the 1701, which does seem to be built fairly well against other Country of Origin products. I haven't noticed wear and tear yet, with about 9 months of actual use in two years. The original OEM firmware leaves a lot to be desired as far as creating code plugs and using it.

The same chassis with this firmware has made it much more valuable to me in terms of its ease of use. Ive been programming and reprogramming quite a bit the last month unplugging replugging flash flash flash. I read a lot of forums and facebook groups to learn about DMR and it strikes me that THIS firmware would be absolutely ideal for the beginner proclaiming DMR is just too hard to learn. I appreciate its blend of traditional HT functionality and new DMR options. I grew up on Yaesu HT's and didn't really like my initial purchase in DMR.

Anyway, whatever part of the world you are in, hope your day goes well

Jason