VK3KYY

Updated voice prompts 2023 08 18

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:23 am

Voice prompts have been update for Turkish, Czech and French

See downloads/Voice_Prompts/Latest

SA0BUX

Re: Updated voice prompts 2023 08 18

Post by SA0BUX » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:52 pm

I looked if Amazon Polly supports Ukrainan but I did only see Russian in the list

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/lates ... guage.html

So that is probably the explanation why it sounds so bad.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:55 pm

iromanyshyn wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:30 pm
Sorry, but Ukrainian voice prompts are actually some crap because are russian voices applied. Hence, it sounds like a russian soldier trying to speak Ukrainian after capture in the liberated village. These voice prompts should be removed.
- leave such phrasing/subjects outside this forum (first and last warning),
- you don't like it, perfect, spend time to make it better.
- no, it won't be removed because that doesn't please you.
- and yes, there is no Ukrainian voice available, hence the guy who added this voice support used Russian ones.

Thanks.

sq9hht

Post by sq9hht » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:32 am

Hello.
Some time ago in another thread there was a topic of translation for Polish. The appropriate files were uploaded and we received feedback that it could not be done overnight, but that it would be done at some time. We pointed out that for blind radio amateurs from Poland this is an important topic. I know that the translation tool is free and has its limits. We even pointed out the appropriate voices that would be most beneficial for us. It has been more than 2 months since then. I understand that there are many other issues, including professional ones, and working on these issues is extra time, but is it not possible to revisit the topic of translation for Polish? As a reminder, the topic of this translation appeared in the welcome thread by colleague SP7CZO Once again, we very much ask you to lean on this issue. With greetings Blind radio amateur Paweł SQ9HHT

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:50 am

Hi,
sq9hht wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:32 am
Hello.
Some time ago in another thread there was a topic of translation for Polish. The appropriate files were uploaded and we received feedback that it could not be done overnight, but that it would be done at some time. We pointed out that for blind radio amateurs from Poland this is an important topic. I know that the translation tool is free and has its limits. We even pointed out the appropriate voices that would be most beneficial for us. It has been more than 2 months since then. I understand that there are many other issues, including professional ones, and working on these issues is extra time, but is it not possible to revisit the topic of translation for Polish? As a reminder, the topic of this translation appeared in the welcome thread by colleague SP7CZO Once again, we very much ask you to lean on this issue. With greetings Blind radio amateur Paweł SQ9HHT
Could you reming me what is wrong about Polish VP ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

sq9hht

Post by sq9hht » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:42 am

mon Dieu !
I could write about it until evening Central European time. There are very ! very many problems with the Polish language. First of all, the voice itself is of very poor quality. I know that there used to be as many as 4 voices to choose from, at this moment by you only one was used, probably the worst one. I perfectly understand that Polish is a niche language, and without knowing the specifics of this language it is difficult to properly address the topic, and most of the translation is done by an automaton. But very many phrases in the translation are wrong, in addition, the translation file was somehow created incorrectly and a whole lot of features do not correspond to the actic state. For example, we have a message that we enter the sound options, and this time the control of the display functions appears. There are a lot of such errors in the translation for Polish. Therefore, together with my colleague SP7CZO, we corrected the translation by doing it basically from scratch. He touched on this topic in the thread in which he welcomed to our community. If you found the time to take a peek at that thread, everything would become clear to you. In that thread all the information was listed, as well as the suggestion of what voice the translation we made taking into account all the latest corrections like GPS and so on.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3302&hilit=sp7czo

73 sq9hht

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 am

sq9hht wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:42 am
mon Dieu !
Sorry, Daniel here...
sq9hht wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:42 am
I could write about it until evening Central European time. There are very ! very many problems with the Polish language. First of all, the voice itself is of very poor quality. I know that there used to be as many as 4 voices to choose from, at this moment by you only one was used, probably the worst one. I perfectly understand that Polish is a niche language, and without knowing the specifics of this language it is difficult to properly address the topic, and most of the translation is done by an automaton. But very many phrases in the translation are wrong, in addition, the translation file was somehow created incorrectly and a whole lot of features do not correspond to the actic state. For example, we have a message that we enter the sound options, and this time the control of the display functions appears. There are a lot of such errors in the translation for Polish. Therefore, together with my colleague SP7CZO, we corrected the translation by doing it basically from scratch. He touched on this topic in the thread in which he welcomed to our community. If you found the time to take a peek at that thread, everything would become clear to you. In that thread all the information was listed, as well as the suggestion of what voice the translation we made taking into account all the latest corrections like GPS and so on.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3302&hilit=sp7czo

73 sq9hht

SP7CZO changes were merged. I can't remember if a VP pack was release since then.

Hmmm, I'm currently building new VP, will only work with latest firmware (the one with aprs beaconing).
I will post a link to all of this later today.

---
Daniel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:27 am

You can grab the firmware and VPs from here:

MEGA:
https://mega.nz/folder/Q5YEWTyA#dhFgXFxBvvfr5JcgHJFNxw

Proton Drive:
https://drive.proton.me/urls/2SAP7HEHYC#TBxYYF037pAk

This is Beta, based on latest development code (without NMEA logging). VP may work with the latest Beta (APRS beaconing testing thread) Roger released, but that won't work with previous version or the firmware.

---
Daniel

sp7czo

Post by sp7czo » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47 am

Hello. I tested the Polish voice files, which were allegedly updated by you based on the dictionary we translated. After the tests, it turned out that nothing had been corrected. After tests, I must admit that it worried me, because we put a lot of work into translating it correctly. I thought you also cared about proper operation and that users were satisfied. I repeat my request to re-convert the voice files to the dictionary model that we have correctly translated and is attached in this post above. And I'm waiting for some information on this matter. We blind people really care that these voices work properly. We don't cut corners, we put a lot of work into it, but there are things we can't do on our own, so we really count on your help.
With Best Regard
Przemek
Attachments
wordlist_polish _new.csv
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:10 pm

Your changes from Sept 20 were merged.
BTW, your wordlist is outdated and broken (I had to fix it by hand).

I will recheck and post the updated wordlist.