Help on solving a “frozen” radio.

OZ7ET

Re: Help on solving a “frozen” radio.

Post by OZ7ET » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:11 pm

I have now tried installing the CPS version R2024.01.22.01 and installed the latest firmware (2023-12-31 19:49) again. But this time I have made a new empty code plug, created two DMR channels and one VHF channel, made a zone with these 3 channels. And written the code plug to the radio.
Unfortunately I get the exact same ‘settings updated’ screen but I cannot press ok via the green button as no buttons are working? This screen appears first thing when I install the firmware. Just as it appeared first time while using the working radio.
Am I missing something in the installation process?
Any other suggestions to what I could do to get it up and running again?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:32 am

Can you (re)confirm that the buttons are working with the original firmware ?

OZ7ET

Post by OZ7ET » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:38 am

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:32 am
Can you (re)confirm that the buttons are working with the original firmware ?
Yes, If I reinstall the original firmware everything works just fine.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 am

That's really strange !
Which donor file are you using ?
What is your model (complete details, from the backside stickers).

OZ7ET

Post by OZ7ET » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:04 am

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 am
That's really strange !
Which donor file are you using ?
What is your model (complete details, from the backside stickers).
Yes it is! I find i really strange as well , and it has come to the point that the only thing I can imagine is wrong, is that I am doing something wrong..? But I have done the process some times before with no problems. But then again, the ‘settings updated’ screen first came on while I was using a functional radio that had been running Open GD77 for a long period without any problems whatsoever.
I would like to do that again, as Open GD77 is the most useful firmware in my opinion. The work that has been put into this is very amazing!

Donor file: MD9600-CSV(2571V5)-V26.45.bin

Model:MD-UV380
Power:5W
Frequency:136-174Mhz 400-480Mhz
FCC ID: POD-MDUV380
S/N:2212L01xxx

OZ7ET

Post by OZ7ET » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:51 pm

I have tried again but unfortunately with the same results.
I am using the same donor file as I have used when it all worked well. Should I use a new/other version or something with the latest CPS and firmware version?

Any suggestions?

OZ7ET

Post by OZ7ET » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 pm

When I restore flash and go back to the original firmware (or newer version of open gd77. Does any data (e.g. some settings or other stuff) remain on the radio?
As I understand the settings updated screen that I get is because that some new features have been added to the new version of the firmware and I need to push green button for ‘ok’ (still no buttons are working).
If any settings data is not deleted when I flash to original or newest version of open GD77, is there any way to get rid of that? Maby the problem is some ‘old’ settings remaining, even after flashing. Is this a possibility?
If yes, is there a way to get rid of this? And start from scratch?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

And again, I really appreciate your time and effort in this project!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 pm

OZ7ET wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 pm
When I restore flash and go back to the original firmware (or newer version of open gd77. Does any data (e.g. some settings or other stuff) remain on the radio?
As I understand the settings updated screen that I get is because that some new features have been added to the new version of the firmware and I need to push green button for ‘ok’ (still no buttons are working).
If any settings data is not deleted when I flash to original or newest version of open GD77, is there any way to get rid of that? Maby the problem is some ‘old’ settings remaining, even after flashing. Is this a possibility?

Some data will remain when you change versions

Settings data e.g. Options settings, will get reset if the settings version in the version of firmware you load does not match the settings version in the radio.
Settings version does not change for each firmware version, it only changes if a new setting was added or there was a bug caused by the default value of one of the settings

On the UV380 etc, some of the OpenGD77 codeplug and settings data is in memory locations not used by the official codeplug and settings data.
So installing the official firmware and codeplug and then reinstalling OpenGD77, some OpenGD77 will still remain.

If your radio constantly reboots, even if you force a settings reset, and do not even reach the "Settings updated" screen, then there is currently no way to erase the entire flash memory.

If the radio reboots after the "Settings Updated" screen, you can use the CPS to back and restore the entire Flash memory.

i.e You could make a 16mB binary file full of 0x00 and upload this to the radio and it would completely erase the Flash memory, however, I'm not sure whether if you did this, you would be able to use the official firmware on the radio again, because the official firmware has its display font data in Flash memory, and possibly other things, and its not know for sure whether the official firmware files contain absolute every piece of data needed to install from a completely erased radio.

Does you radio reach the "Settings Updated" screen, and not reboot if you do not press any buttons ?

OZ7ET

Post by OZ7ET » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:28 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 pm
OZ7ET wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 pm

Some data will remain when you change versions

Settings data e.g. Options settings, will get reset if the settings version in the version of firmware you load does not match the settings version in the radio.
Settings version does not change for each firmware version, it only changes if a new setting was added or there was a bug caused by the default value of one of the settings

On the UV380 etc, some of the OpenGD77 codeplug and settings data is in memory locations not used by the official codeplug and settings data.
So installing the official firmware and codeplug and then reinstalling OpenGD77, some OpenGD77 will still remain.

If your radio constantly reboots, even if you force a settings reset, and do not even reach the "Settings updated" screen, then there is currently no way to erase the entire flash memory.

If the radio reboots after the "Settings Updated" screen, you can use the CPS to back and restore the entire Flash memory.

i.e You could make a 16mB binary file full of 0x00 and upload this to the radio and it would completely erase the Flash memory, however, I'm not sure whether if you did this, you would be able to use the official firmware on the radio again, because the official firmware has its display font data in Flash memory, and possibly other things, and its not know for sure whether the official firmware files contain absolute every piece of data needed to install from a completely erased radio.

Does you radio reach the "Settings Updated" screen, and not reboot if you do not press any buttons ?
Ok, Thanks for explaining this.

When I install the open gd77 firmware, the CPS says something like’firmware update completed’ then the radio goes from black screen directly to the ‘settings updated’ screen. But no buttons are working after this.
(If I go back to original firmware, all buttons are working fine).

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:58 am

Could send me the backup of your flash (private email, and you have to put the binary file somewhere on the internet, as it is too large for email).
You will find my email address on QRZ.com.
Also, from the CPS, Extas -> OpenGD77 Support, read the secure register, and send it as well.