Zone Hide Feature

W4EIP

Zone Hide Feature

Post by W4EIP » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:31 pm

Hello,
I just upgraded firmware to the lastest version on my 1701. It works great! One feature that would be really nice to have is Hide Zone like you can do on AnyTone 878. Hide zones that you are not currently using at hine but you use when you travel. As far as I know this feature is not currently available. Any Comments?

Dave W4EIP

VK3KYY

Re: Zone Hide Feature

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:05 pm

No. There is no support for hiding zones

I do not have any Anytime radios.

Is the hiding feature in the CPS or the radio.

The total number of zones that the codeplug format supports is quite low, so even if they could be hidden , this would increase the total, because the CPS saves the codeplug in the same binary format to PC disk, as it sends to the radio

ZL2MGS

Post by ZL2MGS » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:27 pm

For what it's worth, my approach to this is to use the CPS to sort my zones in order of how likely I am to want to use them - so, at the top of my Zone list I have my hotspot zone, then my local repeater zone, the the two adjacent repeater coverage areas, where I am most likely to travel.

Zones covering the rest of the country are sorted on the same basis, ending with zones I may never go to - but thanks to the magic of OpenGD77 and the fact that nationally we have a set of repeaters with the same TG setup, these are only a single channel entry with a standard TG List assigned, so it's easy enough to have them there "just in case".

For my purposes this provides a more than adequate substitute to being able to hide zones - without the risk of me forgetting that I've previously hidden a zone that I now want to use - YMMV, but I offer this as a potential solution.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:31 am

Sounds like the zone hiding on the Anytone radios may be something in the CPS

But unfortunately even if we did add something to hide / show zone in the radio, there is no way to extend the number of zones that the CPS can store.

But perhaps what you are saying is the number of zones is enough i.e 68, but that you don't want to have all 68 zones in the radio

I'm not entirely sure how you would end up managing the zones in the CPS to hide and show them, if you are saying that effectively you have zones for multiple regions.

i.e you'd probably need some sort of zone heirarchy, which is impractical to support.

One other option is to use the CSV export and Import function, and have differe zones csv files,

W4EIP

Post by W4EIP » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I only have about 6 or 7 zones, so I can get away without zone hiding.
Thanks,
Dave W4EIP