Nothing heard on DMR Heeellllppppp!

M7IGI

Nothing heard on DMR Heeellllppppp!

Post by M7IGI » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:54 pm

I purchased a Retevis RT3s this week and flashed to the latest opengd77 firmware dated 31-12-2023. All seemed to go ok with the update process following the update guides.

I have watched and followed guides online and created a codeplug and added local vhf\uhf repeaters and 1 local DMR repeater on the UK SW Cluster (GB7FB). Also added some talk groups but this is where the issue is, but probably something i am doing wrong!! I am pulling my hair out!!

I hear uhf\vhf but nothing over dmr, occasionally the led will go green but just silence. On a few occasions i have heard voice on dmr but for a split second, when i say a split second it really has been that. Nothing shows up in last heard.

I dont have a hotspot but i am near to the local dmr repeater. I thought i would ask if anyone has any good tips to trying to work out what is wrong or any advice as to what i can check. I have searched on here and have seen similar issues with no dmr audio but nothing has really helped. I have reset the radio twice SK2 and power on and even flashed the firmware again last night.

KB8YKF

Re: Nothing heard on DMR Heeellllppppp!

Post by KB8YKF » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:37 pm

Have you tried the Parrot dmr talkgroup ? You talk to it and it repeats back what you say.

I also have a Retevis RT3S and don't have a hotspot, its my first DMR radio. It turns out the 3-4 DMR repeaters near me listed in Repeaterbook and RadioID.net are all offline according to other local hams. I was also told about an unlisted DMR repeater near me and it works, but I can go days without hearing any traffic on it. I think Parrott is your best bet to make sure things are configured correctly.

What DMR network are you using? I think Parrott talkgroup has different talkgroup numbers depending on the network.

M7IGI

Post by M7IGI » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have tried different parrots but not heard anything back.

I know I am missing something obvious and probably stupid and and one of your questions highlights that,

'What DMR network are you using?'

I have no idea!! How do I find that out, there are different networks? Oh wow this is even more complicated than I thought!!

And i thought i was doing so well :(

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:50 pm

For DMR it's important that you have the correct Colour Code for the repeater.
If they differ between radio and repeater your radio will ignore the transmission.
Next thing to check is the timeslot but that is easy to change on the fly when there is activity.
It could be good to listen in fm on the same channel to verify that it sounds like DMR.

But if could also be that the activity on your DMR repeater is low.

What repeaters have you programmed?

M7IGI

Post by M7IGI » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:59 pm

yeah, correct colour code entered and also tried time slot 1 and 2

the 1 local DMR repeater to me is GB7FB i have also added GB7ND and GB7HD (probably not within range).

So I listen on FM to my call to the repeater? I am not quite sure what you mean by that

KC6WOG

Post by KC6WOG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:43 pm

M7IGI wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:54 pm
I hear uhf\vhf but nothing over dmr, occasionally the led will go green but just silence. On a few occasions i have heard voice on dmr but for a split second, when i say a split second it really has been that. Nothing shows up in last heard.
When you're seeing the green LED, check your DMR filter setting in the quick menu. Setting it to "NONE" should allow any traffic to pass, it's what is commonly known as "promiscuous" mode.

M7IGI

Post by M7IGI » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:06 pm

yeah DMR filter was set to None

I have had the radio on this afternoon and a couple times its made a noise when i think im going to hear something but again only a fraction of a second and then nothing.

Soooooo frustrating!! But i appreciate all the support.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:11 pm

M7IGI wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:59 pm
yeah, correct colour code entered and also tried time slot 1 and 2

the 1 local DMR repeater to me is GB7FB i have also added GB7ND and GB7HD (probably not within range).

So I listen on FM to my call to the repeater? I am not quite sure what you mean by that
Just to verify that you hear dmr digital noise and no other QRM.
I'll see if I can record some dmr in fm.
The green led on the radio could lit up without a valid dmr transmission.
Most repeaters send some beacon frame regularly.

M7IGI

Post by M7IGI » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:54 pm

I used a uhf radio set to the input frequency of the repeater and recorded this when i pressed ptt on the rt-3s.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mpFn4a ... drive_link

So i am now monitoring the local repeaters output frequency which i assume i should hear a digital transmission if there is any output?

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:10 pm

Have you tried going outside and trying parrott from there?