Audio trouble sometime - UV390

ve2dka

Re: Audio trouble sometime - UV390

Post by ve2dka » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:20 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:35 pm
Dropouts and strange noises are problems when the radio can't decode the DMR audio data

Anytone radios have much better hardware and are able to handle lower quality DMR data. MD-380 also has completely different RF and demodulation hardware

Did you test using a MD9600? This has similar RF hardware to the MD-380

Note.
When I write MD-380 I mean the old single band radios, not the UV380

Duplex hotspots are renound for being quite unreliable, and the MMDVM_HS hotspots in general don't produce good quality DMR signals and need a lot of calibration to work at all.
Hi !
No, I don't have right now the MD-9600 unfortunatly. And yes I have the UHF only MD-380 and tested with it (and my new opengd77 UV-390). My Hotspot have a good signal. My BER is around 0.4%. I can try to ajust the TXOffset if I have this again. It's already tune for the other radios.

Thanks !! :)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:02 pm

If you have more than one radio, then each radio needs to be calibrated to match the hotspot.

Procedure is.

Decide which is your most accuratly calibrated radio.
Adjust you hotspot to work with that radio
Adjust the calibration in your other radios to work with your most accurately calibrated radio

This requires frequency calibration to at least 500Hz resolution. Note I use the term 'resolution' not accuracy. It does not matter if all your radios are 2kHz off frequency, as long as they are all calibrated to the same frequency within at least 500Hz

Because I do not own a frequency counter with that level of resolution, I use a SDR dongle connected to my PC, and one of the usual SDR applications, to view the spectrum envelope of each radio and adjust so that they are all as close to the same frequency as each other.

Also note. During calibration use FM with no modulation, i.e which is what the OpenGD77 calibration screen allows the radios to produce.

ve2dka

Post by ve2dka » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:14 pm

Thanks !! :)