Is thier a way to scan the TG list that is on a channel?

KD2GOO

Is thier a way to scan the TG list that is on a channel?

Post by KD2GOO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:40 pm

When I hold the up arrow it scans through the channels and only brings up the talkgroup that is selected on that channel. What I want to do is scan through the talkgroup list that I have set up for a single channel.

VK3KYY

Re: Is thier a way to scan the TG list that is on a channel?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:55 pm

KD2GOO wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:40 pm
When I hold the up arrow it scans through the channels and only brings up the talkgroup that is selected on that channel. What I want to do is scan through the talkgroup list that I have set up for a single channel.
This question doesn't make any sense

A channel ( frequency / timeslot) can only carry one TG at a time.
By default the firmware receives any TG on the current channel (frequency / timeslot)

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:30 pm

As Roger says, your question doesn't appear to make sense.

Which talkgroup you hear is determined by the 'DMR Filter' setting.
By default this is 'Off' which means you will hear any, and all, talkgroups on the frequency.

You can optionally restrict reception to only the selected talkgroup by setting 'DMR Filter' to 'TG'
You can also restrict reception to only the talkgroups in your talkgroup list by setting it to 'TGL'

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:23 pm

G4EML wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:30 pm
As Roger says, your question doesn't appear to make sense.

Which talkgroup you hear is determined by the 'DMR Filter' setting.
By default this is 'Off' which means you will hear any, and all, talkgroups on the frequency.

You can optionally restrict reception to only the selected talkgroup by setting 'DMR Filter' to 'TG'
You can also restrict reception to only the talkgroups in your talkgroup list by setting it to 'TGL'

Colin G4EML
I suspect this is the old missunderstanding of DMR, where people believe that a single channel (frequency / TimeSlot) can handle multiple TG streams at the same time, and that the operator can choose which of the TG's to receive.

However DMR can only handle one TG per TimeSlot, and even using both (2) TimeSlots, DMR can only handle 2 simultaenous QSO's at the same time.

All on-air digital radio modes are limited to a small number of concurrent QSO's.

Wikiepedia has a good overview of DMR's capabilities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio

KD2GOO

Post by KD2GOO » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:30 pm

No i made a talk group list in the CPS and assinged that to a single channel. So my one channel has around 10 talkgroups. I am trying to scan through the talkgroups on that channel but it will not let me. It only scans channels. Does that make any more sense or more confusing? haha

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:56 pm

With OpenGD77 firmware you do not need to scan talkgroups.
With 'DMR Filter' set to 'Off' (the default setting) you radio will already be receiving all talkgroups. This is known as Promiscuous mode on some other radios.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:44 am

See the documentation

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... .md#filter

The TG list assigned to a Channel , or the VFO, is by default for Tx, unless you change the filter setting. i.e this is so that you don't need to have 1 Channel per frequency per TG.