[RESOLVED] RT3S Callsign Database Information not displayed

VA3VPN

[RESOLVED] RT3S Callsign Database Information not displayed

Post by VA3VPN » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:52 pm

I did not file this in the bugs section as it may not be a bug & I just screwed something up!

I flashed the 20230915 firmware to a recently acquired RT3S (non-GPS, CPU identifies as "STM"). I then flashed the codeplug of my existing UV380 (GPS, CPU identifies as "TYT", same firmware revision) to the RT3S, then downloaded the entire DMR callsign/ID database from RadioID.net with 16-char length to the RT3S (just as I had done with my UV380). Both radios seem to be essentially identically configured for the Brandmeister network via a local hotspot, and seem to behave identically except for the issue below:

On the UV380, when someone makes a call, the contents of their DMR ID (first name, last name, location) are displayed below their callsign. On the RT3S, this does not occur, and the much more limited Brandmeister-provided string is displayed instead. I have tried re-flashing the ID database to the radio with no improvement. I have even set the display order to DB/Ct/TA.

What could be the cause & what could I try to resolve this?

EDIT: I have now flashed 20231212 and re-flashed the callsign database, no improvement.
Last edited by VA3VPN on Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VA7LBA

Re: RT3S Callsign Database Information not displayed

Post by VA7LBA » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 pm

I am having the same issue. Going to try and download the db with the allowable characters set to max.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:47 am

VA7LBA wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 pm
I am having the same issue. Going to try and download the db with the allowable characters set to max.
I've just tested downloading from RadioID.net for the 505 region with the number of characters set to the maximum and it works fine

You need to provide more information about what you did

i.e where did you download the data from e.g. RadioID.net, how many records did the CPS download, how many records did you upload to the radio, did you download all regions or just your local region (not sure what the region could would be for VA)

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:55 am

How to you flash the DMR Id database (you have to flash at once the countries you're interested in, or the full world, and not one after the other, as it will erase the previous uploaded IDs).

Also, set the number of character to max value, as the STM32 based transceivers have enough space for this.
I suggest you to change the "Display Options" -> "Contact" to "Auto", or at least "2 Lines" (see https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... md#contact)

VA7LBA

Post by VA7LBA » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:01 am

Fixed. Maxing out the allowable letters worked.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:43 am

VA7LBA wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:01 am
Fixed. Maxing out the allowable letters worked.
Please explain

It doesn't matter what number of letters you set. It will still display something. however if you only allow 6 or 7 characters you will onlt see the callsign.

This thread seemed to imply that the calsign database was not working, but that is untrue.

VA7LBA

Post by VA7LBA » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:48 am

Would you relax. This thread was not about the database, it was about what the Retevis RT3S was displaying from the database. When you limit the characters or use the 16 char default, the radio will just display the first 16 characters which were basically the callsign and the first name. The database was dowloaded with all the correct contact info as per the checked filter boxes.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:12 am

VA7LBA wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:48 am
Would you relax. This thread was not about the database, it was about what the Retevis RT3S was displaying from the database. When you limit the characters or use the 16 char default, the radio will just display the first 16 characters which were basically the callsign and the first name. The database was dowloaded with all the correct contact info as per the checked filter boxes.
Errrr, title says "RT3S Callsign Database Information not displayed", and according to the opening post, it's detailed that RT3S was not working like the other radio, despite the same settings.

So, instead of being rude, as it's a PEBCAK, I would you suggest to make amends.

Thanks.

VA3VPN

Post by VA3VPN » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:02 pm

In my case I downloaded all records by leaving the region field blank, the CPS pulled ~250k records, all seemed to be successfully uploaded. This was done in a single flash. I did the exact same steps when uploading to my UV380. Both were set to a 16-char limit.

Display Options->Contact was/is "2 Lines" on both radios.

I have now tried it again by leaving both the region and data record length fields blank. Total IDs is 250515 from a max of 342864. Flashing this took a considerably longer time but completed without issue. This seems to have resolved it, thank you all for your assistance!!