Installing using M1 Mac and VMWare Fusion/Parallels

KD0RK

Installing using M1 Mac and VMWare Fusion/Parallels

Post by KD0RK » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 pm

Has anyone managed to install using an M1 Mac with either VMWare Fusion or Parallels? None of the drivers seem to load even changing amd64 to arm64. I've been able to successfully load drivers for other radios (different cable, of course). The DFU drivers seem to be the issue.

Thanks.

N0PEU

Re: Installing using M1 Mac and VMWare Fusion/Parallels

Post by N0PEU » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:50 pm

I am going to start with a disclaimer here. I do not have an Apple Silicon Mac

If you can configure VMware Fusion to emulate AMD64 and can boot Windows 10 AMD64 you are half way there.

Now when you connect the cable in DFU mode you are going to have to go to the USB sub menu of the Virtual Machine menu and select to connect the USB device to the VM. This should trigger found new hardware in Windows. If you get the STM in DFU mode device you can try flashing your radio.

Very important, do not let the Mac go to sleep while flashing or you may make a brick.

KD0RK

Post by KD0RK » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:08 am

Thanks for chiming in! The problem is that it needs arm64 drivers or a way to use the built in drivers that I can modify for the USB PID.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:28 am

KD0RK wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:08 am
Thanks for chiming in! The problem is that it needs arm64 drivers or a way to use the built in drivers that I can modify for the USB PID.
The DFU driver to update firmware is from STMicro who make the CPU in the radio. Intel Windows has the driver built in, or it can be downloaded from ST's site. However STM may not have a ARM / M1 DFU driver.

You would need to contact STM via their support website

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/su ... -home.html

KD0RK

Post by KD0RK » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:25 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:28 am
You would need to contact STM via their support website

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/su ... -home.html
Thanks! I've searched and haven't found an ARM64 driver. Contacting them is a good idea.

W8SCL

Post by W8SCL » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm

I use Parallels, but also have been unable to find an Arm driver for the STM chip. Apart from the firmware updates the CPS works flawlessly though.

You may want to give this driver a try if you're feeling adventurous. I haven't tried it yet so YMMV.

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus- ... d-p/224127

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:03 pm

There are a lot of cheap N100/N95 based (Intel processor) miniPCs - https://www.reddit.com/r/MiniPCs/ is where I went for advice on what to get.

I ended up finding a quad-core N95 computer, 8GB RAM (soldered on) and 256GB NVMe (upgradable) on Amazon for $60. This is unusually low, it was just a right time/right place sort of thing. Currently the same computer is listed for $110. I use MacOS and Linux myself and run into needing to run some windows software a couple times a year, usually firmware updating tools for some piece of hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Portable ... B0CKYWW721

I did run into some driver issues for the built-in Realtek microSD card reader after wiping Windows 11 and reinstalling it, I detailed my experience in one of the Amazon reviews. There is no support from the manufacturer. But its a shockingly nice computer and has lots of connectivity considering what I paid.

GMKtec, Beelink are brands I read about a lot.

KC6WOG

Post by KC6WOG » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:49 pm

This is unusually low, it was just a right time/right place sort of thing. Currently the same computer is listed for $110.
It's crazy how prices can fluctuate like that from moment to moment. I just checked your link and now it's $160. Bezos is up to something!

Do you happen to know if the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on this computer can be used simultaneously?

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:49 pm

KC6WOG wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:49 pm
It's crazy how prices can fluctuate like that from moment to moment. I just checked your link and now it's $160. Bezos is up to something!

Do you happen to know if the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on this computer can be used simultaneously?
I checked and I still see $110 but I noticed it says "Exclusive Prime price" - which I've not noticed before. Do you know anyone with prime?

I just tried it out for you - two displays works great! One on the full size Displayport port, one on full size HDMI.
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg (195.72 KiB) Viewed 1170 times

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:02 pm

If you are installing from a blank PC etc, its probably better if use Windows 10 because it installs the correct DFU drivers automatically.

Even better, get hold of a copy of Windows 10 LTSB, and then you won't have any of the MS bloatware either