Hardware problem - PTT needs to be push very hard to transmit

SP9EX

Hardware problem - PTT needs to be push very hard to transmit

Post by SP9EX » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IdKJFPSO0[/youtube]

Hello guys. I have problem with my Retevis RT3S - few weeks ago my PTT button starts need to be push harder to transmit. Right now i can't even talk on DMR, because after maybe 30-40 seconds i can't feel my thumb. Did anyone has same problem, or know how to fix this?

73/SP9EX

F1RMB

Re: Hardware problem - PTT needs to be push very hard to transmit

Post by F1RMB » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm

Hi,

Better to open the radio.
I had a similar problem on one GD77, with SK2.
It ended up to be a problem with the glue of the tape that keeps the dome in place that leaked between the dome and PCB.
I removed the tape, cleaned everything with IPA, reassemble and no problem anymore.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SP9EX

Re: Hardware problem - PTT needs to be push very hard to transmit

Post by SP9EX » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi, I am back after a short break. Today at our ham radio club a friend of mine diagnosed the problem - the defect was probably a cold solder joint at the connection between the button board and the main board. We fixed the solder, while also improving the encoder solder joint connection for changing channels/zones. In addition, I taped some tape on the button to make it catch faster. The whole thing required pulling out the board, thus desoldering the antenna connector. Thank you @F1RMB for directing where the problem might lie, now I can enjoy my radio again.