Channel and Zone Controls

K7RRL

Channel and Zone Controls

Post by K7RRL » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:23 pm

Has there been any talk on swapping the channel and zone controls on the MD-UV380 and variants? Currently the zone is changed by the encoder on top and the channels changed by the up/down arrow. Maybe this had already been done?

G4EML

Re: Channel and Zone Controls

Post by G4EML » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:20 pm

The rotary encoder changes the channel.
The arrow keys change the selected talkgroup.
To change the zone use SK2 + rotary encoder.

K7RRL

Post by K7RRL » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:29 pm

I stand corrected... I'm used to how the radio used to operate, where I had multiple channels on the same repeater but with different talk groups. Changing the rotary encoder would change talk groups.

I had that backwards. Has there been any thought about changing the talk group with the rotary encoder?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 am

It has been discussed before. However if changed it would mean that the function of the controls was inconsistent between modes.

Think of the situation when using FM.

In VFO mode it is logical that the knob controls the frequency and the arrows control the squelch.
In Channel mode it is also logical that the knob changes channels and the arrows control the squelch.

To have the knob do something different when on DMR would be confusing and inconsistent. Especially as there may well be a mix of FM and DMR channels in a zone.

Colin G4EML

G0ETP

Post by G0ETP » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi chaps.

I have to admit that I too would very much like to have DMR TGs selectable by the rotary encoder and RF channels selected by the up/down buttons. I completely understand the comments made by G4EML regarding consistency but I feel that in many respects, TG is actually the 'logical channel' when operating DMR and most importantly, there are MANY TGs to select from and the rotary encoder is way better for this.

I am a professional S/W developer but am currently very new to OpenGD77. Once I get the build system up and running I would be happy to either make a private hack or an official branch that functions in this way (for myself and K7RRL + others), though I would argue a better option would be to make it menu selectable, at the expense of adding bloat to the menu system. Plus, I need to walk before I run.

Thanks to all OpenGD77 developers - it is truly awesome to be able to select/add TGs at will on an MD-UV380!

Tim G0ETP.

K7RRL

Post by K7RRL » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:35 pm

G4EML wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 am

Colin G4EML

I understand and agree - it would be confusing, but I'd still like to try it.

Thank You for your efforts!

73s K7RRL

N6UGP

Post by N6UGP » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:39 am

K7RRL wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:35 pm
G4EML wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 am
Colin G4EML
I understand and agree - it would be confusing, but I'd still like to try it.

Thank You for your efforts!

73s K7RRL
I also would like to see the alternate behavior. It would seem like an obvious solution would be to add an option setting in the menus to allow the user to choose which way they would like it to behave and have the current model as the default setting and allow users wanting the other behavior to chose it if they wish.

73s de N6UGP

N6UGP

Post by N6UGP » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:40 am

G0ETP wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:30 pm
I am a professional S/W developer but am currently very new to OpenGD77. Once I get the build system up and running I would be happy to either make a private hack or an official branch that functions in this way (for myself and K7RRL + others), though I would argue a better option would be to make it menu selectable, at the expense of adding bloat to the menu system. Plus, I need to walk before I run.
Similarly I'm a retired Computer FW engineer and brand new to the OpenGD77 system. I'd be interested in this too once I figure out the build system.

73s de N6UGP

KD0GIS

Post by KD0GIS » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32 pm

Sorry that I am not a dev so can't help but this feature is the only thing keeping me from using OpenGD77 on a regular basis with my DM-1701 radios which are my #1 EDC hts.

To my mind, TGs are "channels" within a zone and I most often select a zone that is a local repeater then I switch between the channel/TGs using the encoder knob. Or, I have a zone set up with my simplex channels which may be either analog or dmr.

Looking forward to if/when this project is completed. I have 4 DM-1701s and I would be glad to dedicate one for testing if needed.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:18 pm

KD0GIS wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32 pm
To my mind, TGs are "channels" within a zone and I most often select a zone that is a local repeater then I switch between the channel/TGs using the encoder knob.
The old DMR paradigm sucks eggs IMO and I just didn't want to join in on that BS. The OpenGD77 paradigm is SO much easier to program and puts DMR on a par with the other two digital modes - DSTAR and YSF - as far as being Ham friendly :)