What might cause Voice Prompt files not to "take" as it were?

PD5EAR

What might cause Voice Prompt files not to "take" as it were?

Post by PD5EAR » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:39 am

I am running the latest firmware for this radio. The firmware runs fine, everything appears to work, except the voice prompts.
I can write the voice prompts just fine, in CPS the upload appears to complete successfully and no errors are thrown, however, when looking at the menu -> sound options -> prompt option, the only choices are No Keys, Beep and Silent.
I have already tried reflashing the firmware entirely, clearing and writing the voice prompts again, everything goes according to how it's meant to go but yet the option does not show up.
Radio language is set to English, which is also what the voice prompt file is for.
Is there any way for me to debug this further?

VK3KYY

Re: What might cause Voice Prompt files not to "take" as it were?

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:09 am

What is your callsign ?

There does not seem to be any record of you posting to the New members section giving your callsign

Site policy is for everyone to indentify using their callsign

PD5EAR

Post by PD5EAR » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:15 am

My apologies, when I created this account several months ago I did not have a callsign yet and I must have missed that policy. I am PD5EAR. I'll go sort that out right now.

PD5EAR

Post by PD5EAR » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:11 pm

@vk3kyy I am going to respond to what you asked here to keep things within the same topic as it were.
You asked me if I had used the latest version of the prompts. That is hard to say as I was using a prepackaged set of files that uses different filenames, although the packager assures me the files are of the correct version and others who use the same procedure appear to have no problems. Using this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mbiohlm3 ... tvv9w&dl=0

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:55 pm

PD5EAR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:11 pm
@vk3kyy I am going to respond to what you asked here to keep things within the same topic as it were.
You asked me if I had used the latest version of the prompts. That is hard to say as I was using a prepackaged set of files that uses different filenames, although the packager assures me the files are of the correct version and others who use the same procedure appear to have no problems. Using this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mbiohlm3 ... tvv9w&dl=0

I think that you need to use the latest version of speech files that was specified here if you use the latest firmware.

There is relationships between the speech files and firmware.

downloads/Voice_Prompts/Latest/

PD5EAR

Post by PD5EAR » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:15 pm

I'm aware. This person essentially makes sure CCPS, firmware and voice prompts stay in sync and provides a package for folks to flash to the radios, I'm just not sure to what file in that link you provided his vpr files correspond. I can certainly try to grab the latest off that link though, do the numbers after the voie names indicate anything? E.g., 2.0 etc? Do I just want the highest number of the preferred language?

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:34 pm

The numbers indicate speed coefficient of the voice prompt (1.0 is normal speed, 2.0 is twice as fast)

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:32 am

PD5EAR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:15 pm
I'm aware. This person essentially makes sure CCPS, firmware and voice prompts stay in sync and provides a package for folks to flash to the radios, I'm just not sure to what file in that link you provided his vpr files correspond. I can certainly try to grab the latest off that link though, do the numbers after the voie names indicate anything? E.g., 2.0 etc? Do I just want the highest number of the preferred language?
I compared the md5sum in voicem.vpr with the md5sums from the files in downloads/Voice_Prompts/Latest/
and your file is the same as english_uk_brian-1.75_UV380-like.vpr so that seems OK then.

eaa3a867c983a97ac327d8b7e23586dc voicem.vpr

eaa3a867c983a97ac327d8b7e23586dc english_uk_brian-1.75_UV380-like.vpr