MD-UV380 PLUS/MD-UV390 PLUS sold together with original ones

KB8YKF

Re: MD-UV380 PLUS/MD-UV390 PLUS sold together with original ones

Post by KB8YKF » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:08 pm

JP7NJT wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:46 pm
from what a Chinese friend told me, the firmware (119.023) of the Plus doesn't work on the normal one (he tested with an RT3S but I guess it's the same as the UV380, right?)

When flashing the normal with the firmware of the Plus, the screen remains white when the normal is turned on. The friend is not allowed to send me the firmware. probably a security to be able to continue selling Plus once the firmware is widely distributed.
Any idea if the RT3S your friend tested with has the Original STM32 processor or the clone processor used in the last year or so of UV380/UV390/RT3S production? I was wondering if the clone processor used on recent radios is what enables the AES256 encryption, so maybe the Plus firmware only works on recent RT3S examples. Just guessing here.

OpenGD77 firmware on the RT3S will report which processor it has - if it says "tyt" processor in the firmware screen, its the clone processor.

JP7NJT

Post by JP7NJT » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:26 pm

KB8YKF wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:08 pm
JP7NJT wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:46 pm
from what a Chinese friend told me, the firmware (119.023) of the Plus doesn't work on the normal one (he tested with an RT3S but I guess it's the same as the UV380, right?)

When flashing the normal with the firmware of the Plus, the screen remains white when the normal is turned on. The friend is not allowed to send me the firmware. probably a security to be able to continue selling Plus once the firmware is widely distributed.
Any idea if the RT3S your friend tested with has the Original STM32 processor or the clone processor used in the last year or so of UV380/UV390/RT3S production? I was wondering if the clone processor used on recent radios is what enables the AES256 encryption, so maybe the Plus firmware only works on recent RT3S examples. Just guessing here.

OpenGD77 firmware on the RT3S will report which processor it has - if it says "tyt" processor in the firmware screen, its the clone processor.
RT3S says :

Code: Select all

unknown D
CPU:TYT
What is the conclusion ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:52 pm

AES functinality has nothing to do with the processor clone type in the radio.

AES can be implemetented in code that any processor can run.

Some of the supported radios e.g. GD77 have a separate AES chip, but I can't remember if the UV380/390/RT3S etc have that chip

You would need to look at the hardware of the old UV380 and the Plus version and see if the original radio has the AES chip and whether the new one has it, to know whether this is actually a hardware change.

I suspect its not a hardware change, and that the Plus version is mainly a marketing monika

R2ZFN

Post by R2ZFN » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:05 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:52 pm
AES functinality has nothing to do with the processor clone type in the radio.

AES can be implemetented in code that any processor can run.

Some of the supported radios e.g. GD77 have a separate AES chip, but I can't remember if the UV380/390/RT3S etc have that chip

You would need to look at the hardware of the old UV380 and the Plus version and see if the original radio has the AES chip and whether the new one has it, to know whether this is actually a hardware change.

I suspect its not a hardware change, and that the Plus version is mainly a marketing monika
As they said on another forum, there is no AES chip there, everything is embedded in the firmware.
But to activate AES, you need to read the file from the station, send it to China, and then the program for unlocking will come.
But we are not talking about AES right now, but about the fact that there are two versions 5 Plus and 10 Plus.
At these stations, the backlight of the screen and the power are controlled differently.
Current firmware for new revisions - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IbmWC7 ... drive_link

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:51 am

Please will anyone who has the UV380/390 PLUS version, whether it works correctly or not with the OpenGD77 firmware, use the "Backup registers" function in the CPS, and zip the file and then post it here

In the CPS.
Make sure you select the Radio Type as MD-9600/UV380 etc
In the Extras menu item select "OpenGD77 support"
On the OpenGD77 support screen, press the "Backup registers" button.

This will prompt to save the file.

After the file has been saved, zip it and post it here

We need this data for multiple versions of the UV380/390 PLUS radios, both 5W and 10W to try to understand the manufacturer settuings which may be affecting the display operation on the 10W version of the UV380/390