Talkgroup Assignment

KO4NFP

Talkgroup Assignment

Post by KO4NFP » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:44 am

Good evening everyone. I am fairly new to the OpenGD77 on my TYT MD-UV390. I have 4 hotspots consisting of a Pi-Star Simplex, Skybridge, Boomerang Duplex Pi-Star, and an openSPOT 4 Pro, all as their own individual channel in the radio. I was wondering if there is a way to assign each channel in the radio its own specific talkgroup from the front panel. Basically creating a channel for each hotspot and being able to enter a Talkgroup from the front panel for each hotspot, and being able to assign a Talkgroup for each channel for channel from the front panel without the CPS.

VK3KYY

Re: Talkgroup Assignment

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:56 am

KO4NFP wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:44 am
Good evening everyone. I am fairly new to the OpenGD77 on my TYT MD-UV390. I have 4 hotspots consisting of a Pi-Star Simplex, Skybridge, Boomerang Duplex Pi-Star, and an openSPOT 4 Pro, all as their own individual channel in the radio. I was wondering if there is a way to assign each channel in the radio its own specific talkgroup from the front panel. Basically creating a channel for each hotspot and being able to enter a Talkgroup from the front panel for each hotspot, and being able to assign a Talkgroup for each channel for channel from the front panel without the CPS.
See the User Guide

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 pm

Channels can be configured on the radio using the 'Channel Details' menu. SK2+Green.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:04 pm

G4EML wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 pm
Channels can be configured on the radio using the 'Channel Details' menu. SK2+Green.
He also needs to create digital contacts etc etc.

KO4NFP

Post by KO4NFP » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:53 am

Thank you for the replies so far. If I assign a Talkgroup to say the Pi Zero channel and then go to the OpenSpot channel and assign it a talkgroup, the last talkgroup assigned is what is assigned on all channels if that makes any sense.

KO4NFP

Post by KO4NFP » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:54 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:56 am
KO4NFP wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:44 am
See the User Guide
Wow I didn't think of that!!! I have looked through the User Guide numerous times and cannot find the answer to what I am looking to do. Thanks again for the awesome advice.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:19 am

Talkgroups entered manually through the front panel by direct entry or by scrolling through the TG list apply to all channels. This is by design.

It sounds like you are wanting each channel to remember the last talkgroup used on that channel. That would need extra storage which is in short supply, so it does not do that.

It is possible to program a single talkgroup for each channel but that needs to be done using the CPS. Set TG List to NONE and Contact to the talkgroup you require.
It is then still possible to manually override the programmed contact by direct entry. Pressing the arrow keys will cancel the override and return to the programmed talkgroup.

Colin G4EML

KO4NFP

Post by KO4NFP » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:48 pm

Thank you Colin for your genuinely honest reply. Yes that is what I was wanting it to do, but it is nice to know that it does not do that, so I can't expect it to function that way. Thank you sir. 73

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:10 am

This is something that may be improved in a future release. It should be possible to edit the selected contact using the channel details menu. Then by using that menu you could change the talkgroup for each channel. That won't be as convenient as the direct entry or TG list methods but it will allow you to achieve what you need.

Colin G4EML