Need help with hotspot mode and pi-star setup

KO4RSN

Need help with hotspot mode and pi-star setup

Post by KO4RSN » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:03 pm

I have a TYT MD-UV390 that I loaded the OpenGD77 firmware on and got the whole thing set up. I feel like I set everything up correctly but I can’t get the radio to communicate with my raspberry pi running pi-star. I watched some of M0FXB’s videos where he did it on an MD-UV380 (which should be the exact same process as my 390) and the only difference I can see between what he did and what I did is after installing the OpenGD77 firmware on the radio, when I go into the hotspot setting (which says “off”) and select it, it just goes back to the main radio screen and says “hotspot”. On his radio, however, whenever he goes to the hotspot setting instead of saying “off” it says “mmdvm”. I’ve pressed every button I can think of and nothing changes it too “MMDVM”, I can only select it with the green key and it goes back to the main screen and says “hotspot”. It’s possible that was a change in the firmware but idk.

Anyways, when I key up my 878, the MD-UV390 appeared to be receiving everything fine, but nothing comes up on the dashboard of pi-star showing it’s coming through to the pi. I’m using the factory TYT cable that came with the radio. Is there a setting I missed to make the radio and pi work together through the pi usb port?

F1RMB

Re: Need help with hotspot mode and pi-star setup

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi,

In General options, set Hotspot to MMDVM, then press GREEN.
The radio mode will be using a bold font when hotspot mode is enabled.
After this, you need to configure your pi-star to use this modem.

You might read the user manual about hotspot.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

KO4RSN

Re: Need help with hotspot mode and pi-star setup

Post by KO4RSN » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:16 am

Well my issue was I couldn’t figure out how to change it to mmdvm. I didn’t realize the channel knob is what changed the settings. I got it switched to mmdvm and it’s working fine now.