Windows/Arm64 Driver

M0GZP

Windows/Arm64 Driver

Post by M0GZP » Tue May 16, 2023 11:55 am

Hi folks,

I have a Retevis RT-3S and it works superbly with OpenGD77. I initially upgraded the firmware using an x64 windows machine, however I don't always have access to that, so I installed Windows/Arm64 on a MacBook to have an environment where I can run windows programs. Using this image I can happily communicate between the CPS and the radio to program it (and now to change colour themes, these are awesome by the way), however I can't flash firmware because there doesn't appear to exist a driver for Arm64; not from Retevis, not the STM DFU driver, or any other driver I can find. I've tried installing the various x64 drivers under emulation and none of them seem to work. Has anyone tried this and gotten something working to enable the firmware to be flashed on Windows/Arm64?

Many thanks,

-simon

VK3KYY

Re: Windows/Arm64 Driver

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 16, 2023 12:10 pm

M0GZP wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:55 am
Hi folks,

I have a Retevis RT-3S and it works superbly with OpenGD77. I initially upgraded the firmware using an x64 windows machine, however I don't always have access to that, so I installed Windows/Arm64 on a MacBook to have an environment where I can run windows programs. Using this image I can happily communicate between the CPS and the radio to program it (and now to change colour themes, these are awesome by the way), however I can't flash firmware because there doesn't appear to exist a driver for Arm64; not from Retevis, not the STM DFU driver, or any other driver I can find. I've tried installing the various x64 drivers under emulation and none of them seem to work. Has anyone tried this and gotten something working to enable the firmware to be flashed on Windows/Arm64?

Many thanks,

-simon
You would need to contact STM via their support forum

M0GZP

Post by M0GZP » Tue May 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Right, to get a native driver they'd need to write one. But in theory there's no reason it shouldn't work under emulation. I was asking if anyone has worked out a workaround. For example, I've tried manually forcing it to be seen as a WinUSB device, but that didn't work. I've tried installing a modified unsigned driver as per the suggestion https://community.st.com/s/question/0D5 ... dows-arm64 but also no joy (I'm assuming the "Radio not connected, or not in DFU mode" message simply means the driver doesn't work). If anyone has a workaround it would be great to hear from you :-)

KD0RK

Post by KD0RK » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:14 am

For using the CPS, did you have to do anything special? I'm in the same boat where I can use a VM under an Intel Mac, but my main machine is an M1 and I'd like to update the firmware as well as use the CPS.

Thanks!

BG4QL

Post by BG4QL » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:13 am

Me too, I am M2MAX, and I cannot install the DFU driver in the virtual machine. I have tried various methods to no avail.

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:47 pm

I am running Windows 10 inside VMware on an Intel Mac - 2018 Mac Mini. I had to force the USB port in VMware Fusion down to 2.0 USB for the programming cable to work. I am just throwing this out there in case thats one component of why it doesn't work on ARM based macs.