Channel scanning

KS0CW

Channel scanning

Post by KS0CW » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:26 pm

Is scanning of channels in a zone possible on the MD-UV380?
looking at the OpenGD77 user guide under scanning/channel scanning seems to indicate that it should... but no joy

VK3KYY

Re: Channel scanning

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:28 pm

Puysh and hold the Up button, as described in the User Guide

KS0CW

Post by KS0CW » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 pm

i just beeps as long as I keep the Up button pressed, if i short press the Up button, it advances through the channels as it should.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:41 pm

KS0CW wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 pm
i just beeps as long as I keep the Up button pressed, if i short press the Up button, it advances through the channels as it should.
I just retested and it works fine for me

Press and hold the Up button until it starts to scan. I can even hold in the Up button after it starts to scan, so you don't need to quickly release the button after scanning has started

KS0CW

Post by KS0CW » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:37 pm

I just reloaded the firmware and still the same, just a constant beep when holding the button.
However, when in VFO and press/hold the up and it starts to scan..
also, the radio is a MD-UV390GPS not sure that could be part of my issue.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:10 pm

KS0CW wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 pm
No one else has this problem

Try resetting your settings, and or make a very simple codeplug and test that

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:27 pm

Also check the channel details for each channel in the zone. Make sure 'Zone Skip' is set to No.

KS0CW

Post by KS0CW » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 pm

Zone Skip is set to no for the channel...

I created two additional DMR channels and set a contact for each and put it in the same zone that my TG List channel is in....
Viola... it's scanning --- i was assuming it would scan the TG list, but since the zone only had one channel in it it just beeped at me as it had nothing to scan.. thanks for assist... i'm heading over to the posts in the CPS topic.

is it safe to say that scan function will not scan the contents of a TG List channel and i should set Scan: zone skip & all skip to yes and build individual channels for each contact that i want to scan.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:22 am

Scanning scans channels

There is no need to scan TG's because the firmware always operates in promiscious mode and will receive an TG on that channel

If you only want to hear the TG's in your current TG list you need to set the DMR filter in the Quick Menu to "RxG"

This is documented in the User Guide

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... .md#filter

Scanning is also documented https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... l-scanning

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:52 am

Setting Zone Skip to Yes for a channel will stop it being scanned when scanning the zone. All skip does the same thing for the All Channels special zone.

So, for example, if you have one channel In a zone that is always busy you can set Zone Skip to Yes for that channel. You can then still select that channel manually but it will be skipped when scanning.

Alternatively if you have a large number of channels in a zone you may only want to scan some of them. You can do this by setting Zone Skip to Yes for each of the channels you do not want to scan.

Note, when setting Zone Skip or All skip using the Channel Details menu you will need to exit the menu by pressing SK2 + Green in order to save the change to the codeplug.