Initial source code release

VK3KYY

Initial source code release

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:35 am

The source code for the current MD-UV380 / DM-1701 is now available here

downloads/releases/MDUV380/R20230311

Edit. This was a prerelease and has now been removed.
Use this latest releaese

https://opengd77.com/downloads/releases ... /R20231231

The firmware is built using the STM32Cube IDE

Unzip the sources and build tools zip file into the same location, so that the codec_cleaner is inserted into the firmware/tools folder

Use the perpare.bat file to run the codec_cleaner to generate dummy codec files filled with 0xFF, which are necessary to the code to link correctly

Important.

Do not generate code from the Configurator tool inside STM32Cube IDE, this will overwrite files which needed to be modified for to support the STM32 CPU clone, because the clone does not support the correct number of interrupt priorities

MD-UV380 build target is hopefully stable.

The DM-1701 build target is fully functional, but is still a work in progress

The MD-2017 build target has not started development. This build target will not run correctly on the MD-2017 as it is currently just a copy of the MDUV380 build target

SA0BUX

Re: Initial source code release

Post by SA0BUX » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 am

Thanks for all the work !

Had to try a build myself so I downloaded latest windows IDE and the code.

Loaded the bin file into one of my RT3S and it works great !

/Lars

BD4VOW

Post by BD4VOW » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:52 am

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with this excellent project.
My sincerest respect to your team.

BD4VOW Amo

KQ4FIS

Post by KQ4FIS » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Awesome! Thanks for releasing this and for all of the teams hard work on this!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:41 pm

Under normal circumstances I would not release the source code until it had much more QA, however becasue of the rapid expansion of the number of radios that can now be supported if the code is ported to those radios e.g. MD-2017, we felt we should release the source code even without undergoing full QA

I hope this was not a mistake and also that people honour the souce code and usage license, but only time will tell.

If I find out the source code is being used commercially etc, I will cease all development , and do doubt any of the other devs would continue working on it, if someone else was profiting from their hard work.

CU7AAZ

Post by CU7AAZ » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:20 pm

So much work involved and offered at no cost!
I want to believe that everything will be respected.
Thank you, good team!
8-)
73s
CU7AAZ

EA5JAQ

Post by EA5JAQ » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am

Thank you so much! I downloaded everything today and built it and it seems to work fine. I also extracted the codec binary section from an MCU dump in case I need to use the JLink for debugging.

I'm currently cleaning the code, removing unused functions, etc. and trying to investigate a couple minor bugs I found. Firstly, after receiving analog audio or using monitor mode in an analog channel, a bit of unsquelched audio can be heard in the next beep. And also, the red and green keys seem to fail or work slowly sometimes in the VFO screen (in channel mode and the menus they work fine).

If I can solve them, I'll post it here.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 am

EA5JAQ wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am
Thank you so much! I downloaded everything today and built it and it seems to work fine. I also extracted the codec binary section from an MCU dump in case I need to use the JLink for debugging.

I'm currently cleaning the code, removing unused functions, etc. and trying to investigate a couple minor bugs I found. Firstly, after receiving analog audio or using monitor mode in an analog channel, a bit of unsquelched audio can be heard in the next beep. And also, the red and green keys seem to fail or work slowly sometimes in the VFO screen (in channel mode and the menus they work fine).

If I can solve them, I'll post it here.

OK.

Normally we do not release until we had time to clean the source code, but because we have very limited free time, the source code had to be released before it was cleaned.

BTW.
IMO the VFO screen code needs to be split into 4 separate files, a wrapper / dispatcher and then separate files for normal operation, step scan and for sweep scan. However at the moment I have to port the calibration screen to the GD77 and change its GUI, and also start porting to the MD2017 etc etc

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:05 am

BTW. Jlink will not work unless you hack the bootloader to prevent it reprotecting the MCU.

Also the bootloader configures all pins except USB to be GPIO and this kills SWD.

And. The SWD pins are used to cotrol the hardware :-(, So you need to modify the pin initialisation to prevent the SWD pins from being initialised

BG0EBU

Post by BG0EBU » Tue May 30, 2023 3:23 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 am
Thanks for all the work !

Had to try a build myself so I downloaded latest windows IDE and the code.

Loaded the bin file into one of my RT3S and it works great !

/Lars
Can you make a tutorial? thanks!