SA0BUX

Re: Initial source code release

Post by SA0BUX » Tue May 30, 2023 7:55 am

BG0EBU wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:23 am
SA0BUX wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 am
Thanks for all the work !

Had to try a build myself so I downloaded latest windows IDE and the code.

Loaded the bin file into one of my RT3S and it works great !

/Lars
Can you make a tutorial? thanks!
I followed what was written in the first message in the thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2742#p22536

But I think that that source code release is a bit behind in features and fixes now.

BG0EBU

Post by BG0EBU » Tue May 30, 2023 10:01 am

okay thanks:)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Steve5 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:17 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:35 am
Do not generate code from the Configurator tool inside STM32Cube IDE, this will overwrite files which needed to be modified for to support the STM32 CPU clone, because the clone does not support the correct number of interrupt priorities
Thanks for this project.
How to compile the project ? I used :

1-File
2-Open the project from system file or archive
3-select \OpenMDUV380\MDUV380_firmware directory
4-project-build all

Is this correct ?
Sounds about right

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:15 am

Steve5 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:15 pm
is it possible to read the codeplug original structure to read the encryption key (basic privacy, enhanced...)

i see nothing about that in the codeplug.h

i see only a integer in the codeplug.c to know if the channel is encrypted or not :

channelBuf->encrypt = tmpID & 0xFF;
Encryption is not supported for legal reasons.

AFIK no one has analysed the encryption key data in official GD77 codeplug format

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:50 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:15 am
Steve5 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:15 pm
is it possible to read the codeplug original structure to read the encryption key (basic privacy, enhanced...)

i see nothing about that in the codeplug.h

i see only a integer in the codeplug.c to know if the channel is encrypted or not :

channelBuf->encrypt = tmpID & 0xFF;
Encryption is not supported for legal reasons.

AFIK no one has analysed the encryption key data in official GD77 codeplug format
If the developer is from country, that allows it, why not? Australia is not the whole world at all! In most of the european countries, if you own a station (like motorola, anytone etc.) that supports encryption, it doesn't make it illegal, as if you do not know the key in a first place, so you cannot listen and the encryption possibility itself means nothing. If you find a key (it's almost impossible, depends on encryption type, but still), you can use a station but not allowed to forward the information of the trafic to 3th person in other words, if you listen home, nobody will ever know and wont hurt him! Of course interruption/TX on those frequencies is illegal. This is how the law is here for example.

Also i've heard, that this kind of opengd77 also exists, but only on a closed group - maybe just a fairytale. The code is open source, so maybe some european developers could step in-....

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:00 pm

European steps in: it's forbidden to encrypt communication in amateur radio world here too.

This has been stated multiple times, the encryption will never be supported. IIRC, not a single transceiver from the big three (for amateur radio, don't even try to starts talking about professional ones) permits encryption. Period.

This kind of constant demanding, with a bit of arrogance, starts to be really annoying, even more when it comes from Ham guys.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:06 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:00 pm
European steps in: it's forbidden to encrypt communication in amateur radio world here too.

This has been stated multiple times, the encryption will never be supported. IIRC, not a single transceiver from the big three (for amateur radio, don't even try to starts talking about professional ones) permits encryption. Period.

This kind of constant demanding, with a bit of arrogance, starts to be really annoying, even more when it comes from Ham guys.
Not sure about Sweden, amateur radio is more or less unregulated, only demand is that you have a certificate, send inside the bands use allowed power and id regularly.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:35 pm

Okay, maybe.
But what is the point, as a Ham, to have private communication ? It's against the whole nature of Ham radio.

If I want to have private communication, I grab, lets say, my cellphone.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:31 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:35 pm
Okay, maybe.
But what is the point, as a Ham, to have private communication ? It's against the whole nature of Ham radio.

If I want to have private communication, I grab, lets say, my cellphone.
Of course, only use for encryption should be satellite control links or similar.

But I found that the question about encryption has been asked towards Swedish Telecom Authority (PTS) and there answer was that nothing forbids it as long as you id the traffic in cleartext.

But they also recommend that ITU-RR rules should be respected if it's international traffic.
But you can't be prosecuted or so in Sweden if you misuse amateur radio as there is no laws against it, nor is it possible to revoke a call sign.

CU7AAZ

Post by CU7AAZ » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:03 pm

Hello,
I know that subject of encryption is a sensitive one for the OPENGD77 developers.
I probably won't get anything with my opinion...
(Let it be very clear that I respect the team a lot.!)
But I can give my opinion
If it's to take things 100% seriously and right,
the firmware has a frequency range out of our band... the factory one and the opengd77 one.
Factory firmware/hardware is prepared with encryption
An example that many know, is not a secret. The md380-tools firmware has a compatibility patch for basic motorola privacy. (So far no one has been arrested for this feature.)
I think that here the issue is the responsibility of each user, the way in which you are going to use certain features. (In my opinion never be the responsibility of the developer.)
Just wanted to share my opinion, no intention of opening a discussion. or create some kind of problem.
I just have to thank the team a lot, they do wonders!
Best 73s to all!
CU7AAZ