DTMF dial Tx CTCSS problem

VK3KYY

Re: DTMF dial Tx CTCSS problem

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:10 pm

OK

We are still working on some fixes, and I will release an update later today, however it appears that the problem may not just be the CTCSS during DTMF Tx as people seem to be having problems with all-star modes which use DTMF

G7JIQ

Post by G7JIQ » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 pm

Hi VK3KYY

First I must say a big thank you for all your work on this project.

I have just tried the latest ver of the software. (which programs fine on the clone cpu)

I am also having problems with the dialer and allstar as mentioned on other posts.

Compairing the uv-380 to the Radioddity gd77 I have found some differences.
I find the following on the uv-380 which maybe causing problems.

The mic audio doesn't mute when sending dtmf via the dialer. (which could upset the dmf tones if in a noisey or windy location)
If you have the key tone turned on you get a single long tone over the dtmf tones after the green button is pressed.
The first 3 dtmf tones send ok, after that there is a clicking over the dtmf tones and the ctcss is no longer reconised by the rx radio.
(which is probably the reason for problems when using freestar nodes)

So far all other functions seem ok.

Hope this helps

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:42 pm

G7JIQ wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 pm
Hi VK3KYY

First I must say a big thank you for all your work on this project.

I have just tried the latest ver of the software. (which programs fine on the clone cpu)

I am also having problems with the dialer and allstar as mentioned on other posts.

Compairing the uv-380 to the Radioddity gd77 I have found some differences.
I find the following on the uv-380 which maybe causing problems.

The mic audio doesn't mute when sending dtmf via the dialer. (which could upset the dmf tones if in a noisey or windy location)
If you have the key tone turned on you get a single long tone over the dtmf tones after the green button is pressed.
The first 3 dtmf tones send ok, after that there is a clicking over the dtmf tones and the ctcss is no longer reconised by the rx radio.
(which is probably the reason for problems when using freestar nodes)

So far all other functions seem ok.

Hope this helps
Thanks

Colin already tested the mic muting, and thought the mic had been muted.

I will re-test this. Perhaps the mic gets intially muted and then gets unmuted after a while

Re: other problems

I only tested the connection to a local IRLP repeater and as it only needed a 3 digit number to be sent, I didn't notice the problem if more than 3 tones were sent

I'll try to replicate your problem by making a longer set of tones etc

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 pm

I've just retested this and my mic is muted and I don't hear any extra tones being transmitted, when I listen on my MD9600

I do however hear a continuous tone comming out of the speaker on the RT3S which AFIK should not be happening.

The tone sounds roughly like the 1750Hz 'tone bust', the entire duration of the DTMF Tx, but as far as I can tell is only comming out of the speaker of the RT3S and not being transmitted

I've tested this both in the VFO and on a channel and I get the same results.

Possibly something in the channel configuation or other settings is different in your radio, but I can't see how that would enable the mic

To send the DTMF, what do you do ?

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:10 pm
OK

We are still working on some fixes, and I will release an update later today, however it appears that the problem may not just be the CTCSS during DTMF Tx as people seem to be having problems with all-star modes which use DTMF
Is this a general problem ?

I have noticed problems on my MD-9600 when I try to use DTMF commands against a svxlink repeater that use CTCSS.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:18 pm

SA0BUX.
The MD-9600 has the same issue where it can't send DTMF and CTCSS at the same time. However we can't fix it in the same way as on the MDUV380 because it doesn't have the same chips.

Roger,

The radio does generate a sidetone beep when sending each DTMF digit. This is only routed to the speaker and should not be transmitted. On the GD77 the sidetone is the actual DTMF tones but the HRC6000 can't route the tones to the speaker so it send a simple beep instead.

G7JIQ,

Can you please describe exactly how you are sending the DTMF tones, step by step with as much detail as possible. Or even if possible make a short video demonstrating your findings.

The reason for asking is because I still cannot reproduce the symptoms you are reporting.
The mic is definitely muted when sending tones.
All tones send and the CTCSS continues to work throughout. (with Roger's latest release)

It may well be that some combination of radio settings can cause this but so far I can't find it. Can you try holding down the SK2 key when turning on the radio which will cause a settings reset and then repeat the test.

If your mic is not muting when sending the tones then I can understand it causing problems but none of my three MDUV380 radios show that problem, the mic, internal or external is muted whenever DTMF is being sent.

I am beginning to wonder if there are some hardware differences between radios that are causing this.

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 pm

Colin

I could change the code to use the AT1846S to generate the DTMF like it does in the GD77, however as neither of us can replicate this problem, I don't think there is any point in making this change at the moment.

G7JIQ

Post by G7JIQ » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Hi

I have done as you suggested.

Holding down the SK2 key when turning on the radio, (reset settings)
This made no difference.

DTMF setting set to
First Digit Delay 600ms
First Digit Duration 100ms
*# duration 100ms
DTMF Tail 100ms
DTMF Rate 3

(monitor radio GD-77 set slightly below normal listening level for test)

Holding down SK1 and pressing #, selecting from the list and pressing green,

When monitoring the signal I get audio feedback and just the first 2 dtmf tones before the ctcss stops and the monitor radio goes silent.
(This doesn't happen with the radioddity)

If I just press # and enter '12345' and press green, it sends 12 before the ctcss stops and the monitor radio goes silent. all 5 digits can be heard if the rx ctcss is turned off on the monitor radio.
Also the mic is live during tx.

Unfortunately for all-star nodes ctcss this is recomended.

Hope this is of help

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Do you use an external mic?

Try plugging in the USB programming cable and retest

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:51 pm

Your description still doesn't agree with what I am seeing.

Can you confirm that you are using the latest version firmware from here.

https://opengd77.com/downloads/MDUV380/Firmware/Latest

If you are then it sounds like your radio is behaving differently from ours.

I have created a test version of the firmware which adds extra microphone muting commands. This makes no difference on my radios but may have some effect on yours. I don't have access to your email so Roger will try to send you a copy to test.

Colin G4EML