Newbie Assistance - OpenGD77 Firmware Installation

VE7PJG

Newbie Assistance - OpenGD77 Firmware Installation

Post by VE7PJG » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:29 pm

Please excuse me as I am very new to the process of installing firmware on DMR radios, I have the Retevis RT3G with GPS.

I have followed the instructions and when I get to the task of installing the firmware I held up.

After my pc, Lenonvo with Win 10 fully updated, my radio goes blank. Nothing happens but a black blank screen, no LED and nothing happens if I turn it off and then on again.

The radio or pc does not allow me to back up th eflash at this point.

My only option is to install the original firmware from Retevis.

It then returns to it's factoryt setup.

I thought it was my pc so i tried the porcess again on anothe win 10 machine and the same result.

Any assistnace would be apprciated but please keep in mind I have a rookie at a process like this.

Cheers,

Patrick - VE7PJG

VK3KYY

Re: Newbie Assistance - OpenGD77 Firmware Installation

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:13 pm

See the thread about new RT3S

The manufacturer changed the CPU chip for an unmarked Chinese clone, and the firmware will not run on the clone chip, it only runs on the real CPU manufactured by STM

VE7PJG

Post by VE7PJG » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 pm

That is unfortunate.

Can I assume the best route would be to wait for a GD77 when they beome available?

Or shop for an older used RT3S?

Thank you,

Patrick VE7PJG

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 pm

VE7PJG wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 pm
That is unfortunate.

Can I assume the best route would be to wait for a GD77 when they beome available?

Or shop for an older used RT3S?

Thank you,

Patrick VE7PJG
GD77's are not currently in production, because the CPU chip in that radio in unobtainable

It looks like the same problem with CPU chips, albeit a different CPU chip is in the RT3S, has occurred and the manufacturer has found a non-idential chinese clone

I recommend you try to find a second hand / older RT3S, as we may never be able to get the firmware working with the chinese clone CPU chip the RT3S is now using, and even if we do get it working with the current clone they are using, the manufacturer could change for another type of clone and the firmware could stop working again :-(

VE7PJG

Post by VE7PJG » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm

Many thanks from western Canada.

Patrick - VE7PJG

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 pm

VE7PJG wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm
Many thanks from western Canada.

Patrick - VE7PJG
No worries.

See my other posts, but it looks like this is a cost saving exercise by the manufacturer, as the original STM32F405VGT CPU is still in production and available in China (listed on AliExpress)

Hopefully they will notice a drop in sales and work out they need to put a non-clone CPU in their radios if they want people to buy them