Settings Updated Message

G1PVZ

Settings Updated Message

Post by G1PVZ » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi when I turn on my RT3S (with OpenMDUV380 Built Nov 29 2022) I get the message Settings Updated and an option to click OK.

When I click OK the radio goes to FM analogue mode (which was not the mode last unused).

I have not changed any settings - it is only an inconvenience but is there a fix ?

Many thanks for such great firmware !

James G1PVZ

VK3KYY

Re: Settings Updated Message

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:10 pm

G1PVZ wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:39 pm
Hi when I turn on my RT3S (with OpenMDUV380 Built Nov 29 2022) I get the message Settings Updated and an option to click OK.

When I click OK the radio goes to FM analogue mode (which was not the mode last unused).

I have not changed any settings - it is only an inconvenience but is there a fix ?

Many thanks for such great firmware !

James G1PVZ
Is this an old RT3S or an old one.

If the radio has not been used for an extended period, the backup battery goes flat and needs to be rechanged.
Leave the radio turned on in the charger for at least 24 hours, then see if the problem persists

G1PVZ

Post by G1PVZ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:10 am

Hi VK3KYY,

Thanks for the very quick reply - the radio is on charge at the moment and I'll report back.

I'm used to using the DM-1801 which I don't think uses a battery for data back-up, hence the confusion.

Thanks

James G1PVZ

G1PVZ

Post by G1PVZ » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:41 am

I've had the radio on charge for at least 24 hours and I'm still getting the "Settings Updated" message on the first power up. After the OK is selected things are OK - the radio is only a few months old.

Would flashing the latest firmware help ?

Thanks
James G1PVZ

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:35 am

You say the radio has been on charge for 24 hours. Was the radio itself turned on while it was in the charger? It needs to be left turned on in order for the backup battery to charge.

If you have done that and you are still getting the message then you may have a faulty backup battery.

Loading the latest firmware is unlikely to make any difference.

Colin G4EML

G1PVZ

Post by G1PVZ » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Hi Colin,
No the radio was off when charging - I'll now charge it switched on for 24 hours.

Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated.

James G1PVZ

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello James,

The memory backup battery charges from the main battery, but only when the radio is turned on. So leaving it turned on while in the charger is the best way of recharging both batteries.

The backup battery should in theory last about 2 months, even a new radio will probably have been in storage and shipment for longer than this. So the backup cell will probably start off its life in a fairly flat condition. It only charges slowly so the radio needs to be left turned on for quite a long time in order to fully recharge the backup battery.

This does seem to be a design flaw on both the MD9600 and the MDUV380. The battery going flat occurs even on the official firmware but is less noticeable as there is no warning message.

Colin.

G1PVZ

Post by G1PVZ » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:49 am

Hi Colin,

I've charged the radio with it switched on. This seems to have stopped the updated settings message being displayed on power on.

Thanks for everyone's help with this - charging whilst on was counter- intuitive for me but now it all makes sense - apart from the backup battery design!

James G1PVZ

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:16 am

Hi James,

Yes, the backup battery design is not good. They don't even charge the battery to its maximum voltage because it is charged from 3.3V via a Schottky diode, so it can never reach more than about 2.9V.

You may find that you have to repeat the charging procedure in the future, especially if you tend to only use the radio occasionally for short periods.

Colin G4EML