TYT MD-UV380 / RT-3S Installation information

SQ5RE

Re: ALPHA TYT MD-UV380 / RT-3S Installation information

Post by SQ5RE » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:15 am

Hello everyone

I have a problem with the display on the radio, it has turned off permanently.

1. I have installed OpenDG77 as instructed. Everything worked fine. Programming, TX / RX - OK etc.
2. I was browsing the menu, turning various functions on and off. In one of the options, after switching the values, the screen went blank. I probably approved the change. The radio works but the display does not.
3. I restored Flash memory, installed the original software and everything is OK. The screen works fine.
4. I have installed OpenDG77 again. The screen does not work, but I can read the radio, program it.

I was uploading earlier versions of the firmware version, the effect was the same.
Anyone have an idea what to do with it?

EU1AEQ

Post by EU1AEQ » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:25 am

SQ5RE wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:15 am
Hello everyone

I have a problem with the display on the radio, it has turned off permanently.

1. I have installed OpenDG77 as instructed. Everything worked fine. Programming, TX / RX - OK etc.
2. I was browsing the menu, turning various functions on and off. In one of the options, after switching the values, the screen went blank. I probably approved the change. The radio works but the display does not.
3. I restored Flash memory, installed the original software and everything is OK. The screen works fine.
4. I have installed OpenDG77 again. The screen does not work, but I can read the radio, program it.

I was uploading earlier versions of the firmware version, the effect was the same.
Anyone have an idea what to do with it?
Perhaps the screen is simply turned off. I do not know why the settings were not reset when flashing. Take a powerful LED flashlight and try to turn on the backlight in the menu.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:46 am

Also you could try resetting the settings.
Hold SK2 when powering on.

SQ5RE

Post by SQ5RE » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:19 am

Holding SK2 when powering on resolved the problem.
Thank you for your help.

DG1GMY

Post by DG1GMY » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:26 pm

G4EML wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:10 pm

It can be reproduced in simplex mode. Set Eco 5. Wait 30 seconds so that the full eco power saving has started. Transmit with a second handheld, speaking quietly. If your chip has the bug the audio will probably be missing. Speak loudly and the audio will start again.
Colin, thanks for the details. I just proceeded with your "simplex experiment" (2nd TRX: RD-5R with latest beta) but could not reproduce the "mute situation" on the RT3S. Tried at ECO 5 multiple times but DMR beep and my audio always came through as expected (and I waited way beyond the 30 sec. to be sure). Not sure if this result is of any help for further development or just confirms that my RT3S does not have the HRC6000 DMR Chip bug and stays muted for other reasons (i.e. combined DMR Rx AGC settings?!). I'll certainly review again with upcoming releases.

Cheers
—Michael

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:36 pm

If you have the beep turned on for incoming DMR signals then that could be 'fixing' the problem. (The known fix effectively sends a silent 'beep' to the hardware)

Maybe your issue is actually that sometimes the beep is not generated?

DG1GMY

Post by DG1GMY » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:10 pm

G4EML wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:36 pm
If you have the beep turned on for incoming DMR signals then that could be 'fixing' the problem. (The known fix effectively sends a silent 'beep' to the hardware)

Maybe your issue is actually that sometimes the beep is not generated?
I had activated the beep from the very beginning (since first public alpha), so all "undefined mute" occurred with beep on. Not sure how to validate if the beep is actually generated as I don't hear any audio if the issue occurs.
Last edited by DG1GMY on Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:27 am

Hi Michael,

It may be that the bug I have found and fixed is not the same as the one you are seeing.
Any information you can gather would still be helpful. Trying different ECO settings and an exact description of what you see on the display when it happens would be helpful. Also instead of fixing it by changing channels please leave it and see if it recovers on its own given time.

Colin.

DG1GMY

Post by DG1GMY » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:42 pm

Sure Colin! I already monitored quite a number of transmissions that "went mute" for OM#1 and where the audio recovered right at the start of the following transmission (OM#2). Will come back on this with some additional insights as they occur...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:32 pm

DG1GMY wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:42 pm
Sure Colin! I already monitored quite a number of transmissions that "went mute" for OM#1 and where the audio recovered right at the start of the following transmission (OM#2). Will come back on this with some additional insights as they occur...
How old is your UV380?

I remember a problem with the first GD77 manufactured, where the beeps failed. There seems to be a bug in the early C6000 chips with the beep and sometimes the DMR audio, which does not occur in the newer radios.

We presume that the manufacturer of the C6000 fixed some bug in the chip

Probably the C6000 chip is not a dedicated hardware IC, but is a small MCU with a dedicated firmware.
So the manufacturer is able to fix small bugs by modifying the internal firmware