TYT MD-UV380 / RT-3S Installation information

WM7C

Re: TYT MD-UV380 / RT-3S Installation information

Post by WM7C » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:50 pm
WM7C wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm
The first couple links from 2 years ago are dead. I'll be attempting install on an RT-3S and trying to gather what's needed. I'll edit later with what I find out.

dead https://www.tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfil ... 143046.zip

dead https://www.retevis.com/resources_cente ... 7bd2323ac3
Please can you give more details.

Are you saying a 2 year old post on this site now has dead links?

Its virtually impossible for us to constantly check for dead links in old posts, or even recent posts.
Yes, this installation information post from two years ago is outdated. Was there a new one for people who are just starting with Open GD-77 on an RT-3S? :lol: I guess I can read through the 25 pages.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:52 pm

WM7C wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
WM7C wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm
The first couple links from 2 years ago are dead. I'll be attempting install on an RT-3S and trying to gather what's needed. I'll edit later with what I find out.

dead https://www.tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfil ... 143046.zip

dead https://www.retevis.com/resources_cente ... 7bd2323ac3

Its virtually impossible for us to constantly check for dead links in old posts, or even recent posts.
Yes, this installation information post from two years ago is outdated. Was there a new one for people who are just starting with Open GD-77 on an RT-3S? :lol: I guess I can read through the 25 pages.
OK

I need to rewrite the installation texts for all radios and also produce youtube videos for all of them, not just the MD2017 one I did the other day.

But with now trying to get the MD-2017 version working on all hardware revisions, and also finding out why the new UV380/390 PLUS versions on the radios don't all work etc, I'm very time poor.

WM7C

Post by WM7C » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:57 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:52 pm
WM7C wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 pm
VK3KYY wrote:

OK

I need to rewrite the installation texts for all radios and also produce youtube videos for all of them, not just the MD2017 one I did the other day.

But with now trying to get the MD-2017 version working on all hardware revisions, and also finding out why the new UV380/390 PLUS versions on the radios don't all work etc, I'm very time poor.
Get on it man. Just kidding. Thank you so much for all you've done so far. I don't mind putting in the work to get the information I need.

WM7C

Post by WM7C » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:36 am

Well, I followed along with the video and got it installed on an RT3S without any issues. Very easy with your instruction. Thank you Roger! I look forward to your future endeavors when time permits.

KC3UEP

Post by KC3UEP » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:04 pm

Hello there, I didn't read all 25 pages of this thread so, what I'm posting my be already known. If it is, my apologies and please disregard this post.

It seems as if Retevis has two websites? There is retevis.com and there is retevissolutions.com
On retevissolutions.com is a easy to find download section that has all the needed software for the Retevis RT3S. Manual, USB driver, latest Firmware and CPS. https://www.retevissolutions.com/rt3s-dmr-radio#A9110F

Again, if that was already known please disregard.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 pm

KC3UEP wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:04 pm
Hello there, I didn't read all 25 pages of this thread so, what I'm posting my be already known. If it is, my apologies and please disregard this post.

It seems as if Retevis has two websites? There is retevis.com and there is retevissolutions.com
On retevissolutions.com is a easy to find download section that has all the needed software for the Retevis RT3S. Manual, USB driver, latest Firmware and CPS. https://www.retevissolutions.com/rt3s-dmr-radio#A9110F

Again, if that was already known please disregard.
You do not need anything from the Retevis website to install OpenGD77

You may need the generic STM DFU driver, becasue Windows 11 installs the wrong driver.
We now keep a copy on this website

downloads/drivers/

If you mean the original manufacturer's firmware for your radio to revert back to the original, then I can't help you, as the manufacturers never make it easy to find their own firmware.
Actually Retevis used to be OK, but Baofeng are terrible for this and it looks like Retevis are following Baofeng

PS.

I didn't make a video of installing onto the RT-3S, but the MD-2017 is a very similar radio, and I did a video and full instructions for that radio

See

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3717

When I get time, I'll do a definitive video for the RT-3S,but since the firmware supports about a dozen different radios, its hard to make a video for every single variant

KC3UEP

Post by KC3UEP » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:25 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 pm

You do not need anything from the Retevis website to install OpenGD77

You may need the generic STM DFU driver, becasue Windows 11 installs the wrong driver.
We now keep a copy on this website

downloads/drivers/

If you mean the original manufacturer's firmware for your radio to revert back to the original, then I can't help you, as the manufacturers never make it easy to find their own firmware.
Actually Retevis used to be OK, but Baofeng are terrible for this and it looks like Retevis are following Baofeng

PS.

I didn't make a video of installing onto the RT-3S, but the MD-2017 is a very similar radio, and I did a video and full instructions for that radio

See

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3717

When I get time, I'll do a definitive video for the RT-3S,but since the firmware supports about a dozen different radios, its hard to make a video for every single variant
Thank you for all the work you do and for posting that link to the video, I sure will watch it.
I just posted that RT-3S download link because in your very first post it said to have the original Firmware handy in case it is needed. That's all ;)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:27 pm

OK

Yes. It is handy in case you want to revert.

I'm sure if you can't download it, someone could send you a copy.

I think I have several old copies of RT-3S firmware kicking around, but I can't remember what version, as I've now downgraded any of my radios back to the official firmware for a while.

The only radio I recently downgraded was the MD-2017, just to see if the official firmware also has the annoying speaker click.... And it does.. So its a hardware 'feature' on the MD-2017 much like the speaker click is on the MD-9600. Fortunately the audio design in the UV380 / RT-3S fixed the speaker click

Edit.

I forgot I made a video about installing on the UV380 / RT3S a long time ago (over a year)

youtu.be/65SEEGfYz4M

I see I posted this at the start of this massive thread

I should probably do the same for the other radios, but the DM-1701 is basically the same as the UV380 etc

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:53 am

Are there instructions for upgrading from an older OpenGD77 to a newer one? I managed to upgrade properly by just putting it in DFU mode and upgrading, but I am missing settings I changed on the radio. Is there some step I missed?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 am

KB8YKF wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:53 am
Are there instructions for upgrading from an older OpenGD77 to a newer one? I managed to upgrade properly by just putting it in DFU mode and upgrading, but I am missing settings I changed on the radio. Is there some step I missed?
Original installation is the same as an update except if no new settings got added between your last installed version and the new version, then it will just run straight away

If there were new settings, needed for new fuctionality e.g the whole new APRS beaconing functionality, then the existing settings need to be reset, and you'll need to press to acknowledge the settings have been updated, and you'll need to reselect the language.

Its also possible after updating the firmware you may need to update the codeplug in the radio from the version in the PC / CPS, because when we add new functions, e.g. Lat/Long location of repeaters, the data in the codeplug in the radio may contain random values , in this case that would be random Lat/Lon locations

It kinda depends when you last updated and also whether you updated to the latest CPS