Power Calibration

KB0PCH

Power Calibration

Post by KB0PCH » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:34 pm

I figured I'd start a new thread on this. It was shared that power calibration is now available on all models:
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:46 am
The manual probably needs to be updated, because the calibration feature has been on all radios for about 6 months or more.

It is safe because it never actually changes the official calibration data. When the firmware is first run, after its first installed, it makes a copy of the official data and uses that. So any changes you make in the calibration screen change things in the copy

And the calibration screen has an option of "Factory reset" which re-reads from the official / master data.
So I went to give it a try on my 9600. Whoa boy, pack a snack cause you're gonna be hitting buttons for a while. Fourteen frequencies get tested at four different power levels. The 40 watt tests were a problem on UHF frequencies since the radio doesn't seem to be able to do that much power (I did upgrade to a 30 amp power supply, for those that recall my previous power issues). So when turning up the PA value didn't seem to actually increase power, I just tried to settle on a number that seemed to trigger the best the radio could do (about 20 watts). I recall seeing something somewhere here about not overdriving the PA and I certainly don't want to break anything.

The documentation doesn't cover the 9600 yet, so it took a bit of guessing to figure out how to go from "Calibration 1/4" to "Calibration 2/4" but SK2(P1) + Up/Down rotates through he screens. I couldn't figure out what screens 2 & 3 did, so I left them alone. A factory reset option is available on screen 4.

The calibration really improved the VHF side, the 5W setting used to be a little over a watt. Now each setting is pretty close to what the radio is putting out. UHF is less exciting but I attribute that to TYT.

I'm one of those amateur radio operators that knows just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be helpful, so I wanted to share my experiences for others that may be in the same boat as me.

VK3KYY

Re: Power Calibration

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:46 pm

The MD9600 was originally advertised as a 50W radio, but it isn't
I see Radioddity list it as 50/25W, which I presume means 50W on VHF and 25W on UHF, but I don't think the radio is capable of always producing 50W on VHF
Do not overdrive the PA on UHF trying to make it produce even 40W, increase the adjustment until you don't get a corresponding increase in power

Using a larger PSU is not going to help unless the voltage is dropping below 14V

KB0PCH

Post by KB0PCH » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:38 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:46 pm
Using a larger PSU is not going to help unless the voltage is dropping below 14V
Yeah, I was having issues with a power supply that had insufficient amperage and I was seeing big voltage drops on UHF (VHF was fine). Bigger power supply seems to have solved those problems.

ec2ut

Post by ec2ut » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:51 pm

Taking advantage of this thread regarding power calibration.

Is there any way to calibrate the power values of 1W, 750mW, 500mW... on the TYT MD-9600?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:15 am

ec2ut wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:51 pm
Taking advantage of this thread regarding power calibration.

Is there any way to calibrate the power values of 1W, 750mW, 500mW... on the TYT MD-9600?
No. The official calibration data table, which we also use, only contains 4 values per frequency band. 5W, 10W, 25W and 40W. Values below 5W are extrapolated from the 5W value.