MD-9600 Microphone Number Entry - Mixed

NZ2O

MD-9600 Microphone Number Entry - Mixed

Post by NZ2O » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:25 am

I did a little searching, and I can't seem to find anyone who has the same issue with the MD-9600. It seems that on each version of the firmware, the numeric keys on my mic seems to enter the incorrect numbers.

For example.... Press 4, 5 displays on screen. Press 5, 5 also displays. It is a bit odd.

Am I missing something, or potentially could this be a known issue?

Running the latest 7/2/2023 FW on the V1 HW.

VK3KYY

Re: MD-9600 Microphone Number Entry - Mixed

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:01 am

NZ2O wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:25 am
I did a little searching, and I can't seem to find anyone who has the same issue with the MD-9600. It seems that on each version of the firmware, the numeric keys on my mic seems to enter the incorrect numbers.

For example.... Press 4, 5 displays on screen. Press 5, 5 also displays. It is a bit odd.

Am I missing something, or potentially could this be a known issue?

Running the latest 7/2/2023 FW on the V1 HW.
Sounds like a problem with the way the microphone buttons work.

Unfortunately the mic buttons use an analogue matrix consisting of resistors, so that there is a different voltage depending on which button is pressed.

Can you try cleaning and re-seating the mic connector.

BTW.

Does the mic work OK when using the official firmware.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:57 am

Found this drawing on the net, maybe it may help finding the problem.

https://rclubvic.files.wordpress.com/20 ... md9600.pdf

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:57 am

I have seen a similar problem in the past. It turned out to be a badly crimped microphone connector which had high resistance on one of the button signals. Wiggling the cable and connector would change the fault.

As Roger said the microphone switches different resistors to ground to indicate the row and column of the button. Any small change in the cable or connector resistance can cause errors in decoding.

Colin G4EML

NZ2O

Post by NZ2O » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:33 am

Thank you for the responses, everyone. Yes, it did work with official.

However, I did have two radios at one point, and one of them was a bad batch radio, so that may explain it.
I do need to get an extra mic (I always buy extras, because UV/in vehicle use in 90F weather tends to destroy mics over time).

Outside of that, the mic and radio is quite usable. Previously, I had put this thing on a shelf and didn't touch it for at least a year, and... I'll admit I haven't had a radio in my office in 2 years until now. :lol: Kudos to all involved with that, and thank you!

KN4FYR

Post by KN4FYR » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:27 pm

Good morning!

I just discovered that I had the same issue with buttons producing the wrong number. A good cleaning of the RJ-45 connector with a fine, stiff, wire brush solved the problem. My first choice after reading this was to re-crimp the connector. However, the black plastic cover on the connector kept the RJ-45 from seating in the crimp tool all the way. Glad the wire brush did the trick.

Thanks much!

Dan
KN4FYR