Maximum Power on TYT-MD-9600

W8RJB

Maximum Power on TYT-MD-9600

Post by W8RJB » Tue May 09, 2023 1:46 am

Hello,

I searched the forum and user guide and didn't find anything related, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's a repost or if I missed it.

It appears the CPS and radio (MD-9600) only show a maximum power output of 40 watts when the radio is capable of 50 watts. I tested it on a meter and it shows 40 watts maximum. Is there any way to make the MD-9600 utilize the full 50 watts it's capable of with the OpenGD77 firmware?

By the way, big thanks to the developers of this firmware. Once I figured everything out, I've come to realize how excellent this firmware really is. I wish I could show my appreciation somehow, but I've read that's not possible. Thanks for your hard work!!!

Regards,
W8RJB

VK3KYY

Re: Maximum Power on TYT-MD-9600

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 09, 2023 3:49 am

The "40W" setting means maximum power as determined by the factory calibration data, which is generally around 40W on UHF and between 40 and 50W on VHF. We just call it 40W because in reality most radios can't really produce 50W for the entire frequency range.

Try reloading the official firmware, and you'll find it produces the same power as the OpenGD77 for any given frequency.

If you set the radio to the User Defined power setting of -W+ (See the User Guide), this uses the User power level in the Options -> Radio

Which is initially set to the maximum possible PA drive level.

However, be aware you do this at your own risk, as you can give the PA more drive than defined in the factory calibration, and by default the User power setting is the maximum possible PA drive.

W8RJB

Post by W8RJB » Tue May 09, 2023 4:08 am

The "40W" setting means maximum power as determined by the factory calibration data, which is generally around 40W on UHF and between 40 and 50W on VHF. We just call it 40W because in reality most radios can't really produce 50W for the entire frequency range.

Try reloading the official firmware, and you'll find it produces the same power as the OpenGD77 for any given frequency.

If you set the radio to the User Defined power setting of -W+ (See the User Guide), this uses the User power level in the Options -> Radio

Which is initially set to the maximum possible PA drive level.

However, be aware you do this at your own risk, as you can give the PA more drive than defined in the factory calibration, and by default the User power setting is the maximum possible PA drive.
I see, thank you for the clarification! My meter, (which could be off as it's a cheap meter) shows 30 watts on UHF and 40 watts on VHF pretty much on most frequencies. It sounds like this is the fault of my meter and not the radio or firmware. (or just my lack of knowledge with how actual radio power output works :D )

Thanks again for everything, especially for creating this firmware. I am now purposely purchasing radio's that are compatible with this firmware because I'm so happy with it!

Ray
W8RJB

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Tue May 09, 2023 9:43 am

It's probably not your meter. The published output power of the radio is very optimistic and only some radios manage to achieve this. In practice 30W on UHF and 40W on VHF is fairly normal. This is down to the hardware design and is nothing to do with the firmware. The maximum output power is also very dependent on supply voltage and test cable losses.

As Roger says it is possible to increase the drive level to get the maximum possible power output, however this results in a large increase in current (and heat) with only a small increase in power and risks damaging the PA stage. Anyone doing this does so at their own risk.

Colin G4EML
Last edited by G4EML on Tue May 09, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W8RJB

Post by W8RJB » Tue May 09, 2023 7:21 pm

G4EML wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:43 am
It's probably not your meter. The published output power of the radio is very optimistic any only some radios manage to achieve this. In practice 30W on UHF and 40W on VHF is fairly normal. This is down to the hardware design and is nothing to do with the firmware. The maximum output power is also very dependent on supply voltage and test cable losses.

As Roger says it is possible to increase the drive level to get the maximum possible power output, however this results in a large increase in current (and heat) with only a small increase in power and risks damaging the PA stage. Anyone doing this does so at their own risk.

Colin G4EML
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the clarification from both of you. I am just returning to ham radio after a long break, and I totally forgot that advertised power levels will not match the output of the radio, especially in Chinese radios. It's a relief to know that everything is normal and my radio, meter and firmware are all acting as they should. 73 - W8RJB

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:45 am

It appears that you can't set the power to +W- on the radio itself, only on a channel via the CPS? If I then change the power on that channel on the radio (P1+up/dn) I can't set it back to +W- ?

BTW got 54W with +W- on VHF until I popped the 5A fuse on the cigar lighter cable I was using on my couch to connect it to my lithium jumper pack. I had it on my APRS channel so it was only transmitting for a second at a time into my 5W dummy load - popped the fuse on my 5th try LOL.

So, should I wrap the fuse in tin foil or just cut a bolt to the proper length?

Just kidding, ordered up some 15A fuses :mrgreen:

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:01 am

N1LSJ wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:45 am
It appears that you can't set the power to +W- on the radio itself, only on a channel via the CPS? If I then change the power on that channel on the radio (P1+up/dn) I can't set it back to +W- ?

BTW got 54W with +W- on VHF until I popped the 5A fuse on the cigar lighter cable I was using on my couch to connect it to my lithium jumper pack. I had it on my APRS channel so it was only transmitting for a second at a time into my 5W dummy load - popped the fuse on my 5th try LOL.

So, should I wrap the fuse in tin foil or just cut a bolt to the proper length?

Just kidding, ordered up some 15A fuses :mrgreen:
You can set user power using the radio, as stated in the user manual
https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... r-settings
But who read the manual... :D

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:01 am
You can set user power using the radio, as stated in the user manual
https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... r-settings
But who read the manual... :D
Manual FUBAR:
"Power can be set to 50mW, 250mW, 500mW, 750mW, 1W, 2W, 3W, 4W, 5W and +W-. The MD-9600 has higher power output and the power settings are different."
Heck to the no, on my radio I get:
"100mW, 250mW, 500mW, 750mW, 1W, 5W, 10W, 25W, 40W"
No "+W-". Also if I program a channel to "+W-" in the CPS it does display and do that. But if I change the power on that channel on the radio I can't change it back to "+W-" :(

LY1RF

Post by LY1RF » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:40 pm

Try long press

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:31 pm

Re-read the manual section.
Also, are you running a recently beta release of the firmware?