Display options Brightness and Min bright

DL1GG

Display options Brightness and Min bright

Post by DL1GG » Sun May 07, 2023 8:22 pm

Hey there,

I like the DIM feature, if there's no activity.

My observation is, that my Retevis RT-90 (v2) behaves somewhat erratic on adjusting those two brightness levels. If you go up and down the actual DIM is not following all the times and the final (experienced) DIM level is different different from the setup I once did and what I've expected. There's nothing wrong with the encoder, since adjusting other options works flawlessly. The workaround for now was to switch the unit off and on to see what brightness level actually took place and to re-adjust, if necessary.

Any thoughts on this one?

Manuel

G4EML

Re: Display options Brightness and Min bright

Post by G4EML » Sun May 07, 2023 9:09 pm

Have you tried the MD9600 V1 firmware? If your radio is a very early model it may need to use this. (All early radios had V2.1 marked on the PCB so that is no clue). The V1 version was created to fix a problem with dimming on the very early radios.
The only change is the method of dimming. Everything else is exactly the same as the V2 firmware.

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 pm

It should be pointed out, that the display backlight hardware was not designed to allow effective dimming.

We work around the hardware limitations, but ultimately the dimming will never work perfectly on any model of the MD9600/RT90 because of these hardware design mistakes

DL1GG

Post by DL1GG » Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 pm

G4EML wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:09 pm
Have you tried the MD9600 V1 firmware?
Hey Colin,

thank you for the information!

When flashing the firmware I worked the version numbers downwards, as suggested somewhere. Since v2 was working I haven't tried v1 yet.

I'll try v1 then.

Manuel

DL1GG

Post by DL1GG » Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 pm
It should be pointed out, that the display backlight hardware was not designed to allow effective dimming.

We work around the hardware limitations, but ultimately the dimming will never work perfectly on any model of the MD9600/RT90 because of these hardware design mistakes
Allright, thank you Roger!