New Beta version 2023 02 28

SA0BUX

Re: New Beta version 2023 02 28

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm

I guess you have lots of reflected RF going back into to the radio/power supply/feed which is upsetting the display/cpu.

Where is your antenna positioned in relation to the radio ?

A dummy load/swr meter or tests with some others working antenna installation seems necessary.

W8SCL

Post by W8SCL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:33 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm
I guess you have lots of reflected RF going back into to the radio/power supply/feed which is upsetting the display/cpu.

A dummy load/swr meter or tests with some others working antenna installation seems necessary.
OK, overlook the idiot newbie over here who just got his ticket a few weeks ago lol.

I have the antenna outside of my house at the end of 4M of RG58. I'll test from my vehicle here shortly. I'm doing simplex tests with a HT in another area. On further testing it only seems to be reflecting it when on VHF (both digital and analog) - UHF analog and digital works just fine.

What's odd to me is that it isn't overloading it in UHF with the antenna positioned where it is. I would think that if it were reflecting RF it would apply to both bands, but I don't claim to be an expert at all (considering I just got my technician license a few weeks ago lol) so correct me if I'm completely off base there. It's also odd to me that the stock firmware doesn't experience the same issue.

Thanks for the assist on this, and apologies for being a little too much of an "idiot newbie" lol.

KE8WPJ

W8SCL

Post by W8SCL » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:00 pm

KE8WPJ wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:33 pm
SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm

OK, overlook the idiot newbie over here who just got his ticket a few weeks ago lol.

I have the antenna outside of my house at the end of 4M of RG58. I'll test from my vehicle here shortly. I'm doing simplex tests with a HT in another area. On further testing it only seems to be reflecting it when on VHF (both digital and analog) - UHF analog and digital works just fine.

What's odd to me is that it isn't overloading it in UHF with the antenna positioned where it is. I would think that if it were reflecting RF it would apply to both bands, but I don't claim to be an expert at all (considering I just got my technician license a few weeks ago lol) so correct me if I'm completely off base there. It's also odd to me that the stock firmware doesn't experience the same issue.

Thanks for the assist on this, and apologies for being a little too much of an "idiot newbie" lol.

KE8WPJ
You were absolutely right. The ground plane for the antenna when outside my window was completely insufficient. Total red herring on my part, my apologies. Once I moved the antenna to my vehicle and gave it the nice strong ground plane on the metal of my truck's roof that it wanted the radio performed absolutely flawlessly with this firmware.

In short, please disregard this newbie and thank you for the assist (and learning opportunity lol)! No problems to report now that I don't have a bad antenna setup lol.

Thanks again, and mea culpa to all for my newbie-ness!

KE8WPJ

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:02 pm

KE8WPJ wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:00 pm

You were absolutely right. The ground plane for the antenna when outside my window was completely insufficient. Total red herring on my part, my apologies. Once I moved the antenna to my vehicle and gave it the nice strong ground plane on the metal of my truck's roof that it wanted the radio performed absolutely flawlessly with this firmware.

In short, please disregard this newbie and thank you for the assist (and learning opportunity lol)! No problems to report now that I don't have a bad antenna setup lol.

Thanks again, and mea culpa to all for my newbie-ness!

KE8WPJ
No problem, Getting back RF into the shack is very common if the antenna system is misbehaving.
Before all electronics we have today you maybe only noticed a hot mike or key or that your neighbours got RFI/TVI.