Just 2 wishes for VFO Mode

DL7DW

Just 2 wishes for VFO Mode

Post by DL7DW » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:00 am

Hello together and first of all a huge thank you to the developer team!! :geek:
You're doing such a great work which makes a lot of people happy. Including me :)

I might have a wish regarding switching FM<->DMR.
Right now it is necessary to push SK2 (P1) and the * on the microphone.
As P3 is not in use, could the mode switch be modified by simply pushing P3? Makes use a lot easier and safer while driving.

Do the developers see a chance to implement a directly accessible dynamic repeater offset while in VFO mode?
In Germany we have two offsets on UHF (-7,6MHz and -9,4MHz).
In VFO mode it would be appreciatable to have the ability, to set the offset or toggle it
by simply rotating the dial knob after f.e. pushing SK1 (P1) and P3.

Thanks again for your efforts.

73's
Andreas/DL7DW

G4EML

Re: Just 2 wishes for VFO Mode

Post by G4EML » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:58 am

I agree that using P1+ * is awkward when driving. However you can always use the 'Sticky SK2' key which can be done one handed with just the microphone.

Long press D until it double beeps. This simulates SK2 being pressed and held down.
Then press * to switch between DMR and FM.
After a short time there will be another double beep. This indicates SK2 has been released.

The use of the P1-P4 buttons is not yet really optimised as they were not available on the handheld radios. Ideally it would be nice to have these user programmable but that involves quite a lot of programming.

Regarding repeater offsets. Currently the Rx and Tx frequencies are always saved separately. We do maintain any offset that has been set by automatically adjusting the Tx frequency when the Rx frequency is changed but we don't actually save the offset.
So adding a pre-programmed offset is not a simple change. There are also many different 'standard' offsets around the world so it would either need a large list of offsets or a way for the user to program multiple values.

I agree it might be useful to have but the exact implementation would need some careful planning.

At the moment we don't really want to add any new features until we have finished fixing the few remaining bugs and have got a stable release.

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:51 pm

Why not set one VFO as Analogue and one as Digital, then use long press of the Red / ESC button to change VFO

I do not think it would be pracitabe to support country or region specific versions of the firmware, which have offsets specific to that country
It would multiply the number of firmware files many fold, and add another level of confusion when people download the files.

So we would need to have a list of all the possible offsets used everywhere in the world, which would possibly defeat its purpose of making it easy for you to use the VFO when driving.

I think the only front panel button which is unused is P3. It would be good to make this button programmable, but not easy, and because there are so many other higher priority changes needed in the firmware, I do not think that functionality will be written soon

BTW.

Under electronic device use laws in Australia, it would definitely be illegal to do the things you want to do, whilst driving.
Only use of as simple functions like changing the channel on a radio are allowed.

I am surprised that Germany does not have equivalent laws

DL7DW

Post by DL7DW » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:34 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:51 pm

... specific versions of the firmware, which have offsets specific to that country

I am surprised that Germany does not have equivalent laws
Thank you for your replies.

I thought about a fast entrance for adjusting offsets, which is actaully for all countries.
Just push a button, turn the channel selector for your desired offset and press enter.

And yes we have rules over here regarding use of electronics. Pushing a button is not forbidden.