MD-9600 - Settings lost and RSSI suggestion

F6EGK

MD-9600 - Settings lost and RSSI suggestion

Post by F6EGK » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:42 am

I have recently bought a MD-9600 which was probably on the shelf for a long time (batch from 2213). The main result is that the backup battery is no more reliable. Even after applying DC power supply to the MD-9600 more than 24 hours, the settings are lost after less than 30 minutes. I see also that this problem is encountered with the MD-UV380.

I hope that a fix could be found by the use of the Flash memory, instead of RAM storage. I understand that Roger VK3KYY is putting efforts on this issue, but has still side effects with the CPS. The RD-5R and its existing EEPROM is a better design, than what has been done by TYT for its equipment range !

I have a last suggestion about the RSSI feature. Could it be possible to put a setting entry about a dB (decibel) offset value ? I have done extensive measurements, and I have seen that relative variations are generally quite good, but absolute values can be far form the reality, e.g. my MD-9600 highlights absolute values around 10 dB less compared to true values.

I don't know how it is managed in the firmware, but I remember an old version which provided very accurate RSSI results, that I can't found since then. Of course I understand that it depends from one radio to the other. Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Thanks to Roger and all the team for providing time, efforts and support on this beautiful project.

73 - Jean-Roger F6EGK

VK3KYY

Re: MD-9600 - Settings lost and RSSI suggestion

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:29 am

F6EGK wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:42 am
I have recently bought a MD-9600 which was probably on the shelf for a long time (batch from 2213). The main result is that the backup battery is no more reliable. Even after applying DC power supply to the MD-9600 more than 24 hours, the settings are lost after less than 30 minutes. I see also that this problem is encountered with the MD-UV380.

I hope that a fix could be found by the use of the Flash memory, instead of RAM storage. I understand that Roger VK3KYY is putting efforts on this issue, but has still side effects with the CPS. The RD-5R and its existing EEPROM is a better design, than what has been done by TYT for its equipment range !

I have a last suggestion about the RSSI feature. Could it be possible to put a setting entry about a dB (decibel) offset value ? I have done extensive measurements, and I have seen that relative variations are generally quite good, but absolute values can be far form the reality, e.g. my MD-9600 highlights absolute values around 10 dB less compared to true values.

I don't know how it is managed in the firmware, but I remember an old version which provided very accurate RSSI results, that I can't found since then. Of course I understand that it depends from one radio to the other. Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Thanks to Roger and all the team for providing time, efforts and support on this beautiful project.

73 - Jean-Roger F6EGK

I will be changing the setting storage in the MD-9600 to match the UV380, so that it does not reply on the backup battery

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:34 am

The settings problem has been fixed in the latest Beta

F6EGK

Post by F6EGK » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:25 pm

Thank you very much for this good new, and for your investment. I have just pushed the last beta version, and it works perfectly. I am no more annoying by the lost of settings.

73 - Jean-Roger

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:17 pm

F6EGK wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:25 pm
Thank you very much for this good new, and for your investment. I have just pushed the last beta version, and it works perfectly. I am no more annoying by the lost of settings.

73 - Jean-Roger
Excellent