New Win11 PC, can't load STM DFU driver for MD9600

KD7MW

New Win11 PC, can't load STM DFU driver for MD9600

Post by KD7MW » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:29 am

I just got a new Windows 11 PC. It works perfectly with my GD77 for both codeplug and firmware loading.

My MD-9600 is another matter. With the radio in firmware update mode, Device Manager shows an unconfigured "Digital Radio in USB Mode" in "Other Devices. I downloaded en.stsw-stm32080.zip from the STM Web site. This installs, but does not seem to add a driver. The application it adds does not "see" any devices with the radio connected. Device Manager still sees an unconfigured device with no driver. Update Driver finds nothing relevant on my PC or on Windows Update.

I also found a driver on another Web site called stm-device-in-dfu-mode-1498782.zip.
https://www.drvhub.net/devices/network/ ... n-dfu-mode
This contains a driver file STTub30.sys, dated 2015. However, Win11 will not load it. Even though I booted with Driver Signing requirement turned off. I get the error screens attached, and they point to this Microsoft page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a4a43b3dd5

Memory integrity sounds like a very good thing to have. :D So I am going to try turning it off to run the driver, but I'd appreciate any insights from others as to how to deal with all this long-term. I'll reply below and tell you if it worked. My instinct is to turn memory integrity back on after successfully loading the firmware, and only turning it off to load future firmware versions.
Attachments
STM-DFU-Err1.jpg
STM-DFU-Err1.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
STM-DFU-Err2.jpg
STM-DFU-Err2.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
Last edited by KD7MW on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KD7MW

Re: New Win11 PC, can't load STM DFU driver for MD9600

Post by KD7MW » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:59 am

Update: With Memory Integrity(*) turned off, the driver loaded, and it worked. I was able to update the MD-9600 firmware to the latest version. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the driver's presence, even unused, means that I can't turn Memory Integrity back on. I was hoping that with the radio disconnected, the driver would just sit dormant, and I'd only need to turn Memory Integrity off when I wanted to update the 9600's firmware. But that's not how it works. So I think I will uninstall the driver for now, and keep the install files sitting somewhere so I can reinstall the driver when needed.

If anyone has a better solution, like a driver that's fully compatible with Win11, please let me know. What I found on STM's site doesn't appear to have been updated since 2018, which is way too old for Win11.

(*) Memory Integrity is a security feature designed to foil what I call buffer-stuffer attacks, where malicious code is inserted into an area of memory usually meant for data, often overflowing it; then the malicious code is executed. So it's a good thing to have.

SP9TA

Post by SP9TA » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:24 am

I used to install the STM DFU driver under Windows 11 from the STM website and there was no problem you write about. It was a driver from the STSW-STM32080 package. You have to provide an email to download it. You must install this STSW-STM32080 software package, and the driver itself has to be installed manually. This is done by running: "c:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\DfuSe v3.0.6\Bin\Driver\Win10\dpinst_amd64.exe".
I did this about a month ago and it 100% worked under Windows 11 PRO 22H2. But first uninstall the driver you currently have and enable Memory Integrity. I used this Driver with Retevis RT3s.

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:25 am

Thank you! That worked perfectly.
Screenshot 2022-12-29 011914.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-29 011914.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 5687 times

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:17 am

Update: I just tried to do another firmware update for the first time in 7 months. I had the same problem. (Yes, I was in firmware update (DFU) mode with the radio's display blinking). The MD9600 again showed up in device manager as an unconfigured digital USB radio, and CPS could not communicate with it to do the firmware update. Reinstalling the driver appeared successful, but the end result was the same. To get things working again, I turned off Windows 11 memory integrity, completely uninstalled the digital USB radio device, rebooted, and then reinstalled the STM DFU driver via the path that SP9TA posted above. Only then I was able to connect the CPS to the radio and update the firmware.

I checked if I could reconnect to the radio in DFU mode later that evening. It worked. But I have a funny feeling that Windows 11 will put things back the the way it thinks things ought to be, and I'll have to do the above again next time.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:39 am

This is a problem as more users move over to Windows 11.

Could it be possible to use drivers from the newer STM32CubeProgrammer if the CPS is modified for those API's ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:54 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:39 am

Could it be possible to use drivers from the newer STM32CubeProgrammer if the CPS is modified for those API's ?
CPS does not install DFU drivers. Windows does this.

It seems sometimes Windows installs very old drivers that may not work.

We can't distribute STM32 DFU Drivers because AFIK the STM pacakage forbids this.

In that case people will need to download the DFU package from STM, which requires creating an account with STM and agreeing to the EULA etc

There is nothing we can do about the license on these drivers, and also which driver Windows installs.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:06 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:54 am
SA0BUX wrote:

We can't distribute STM32 DFU Drivers because AFIK the STM pacakage forbids this.

In that case people will need to download the DFU package from STM, which requires creating an account with STM and agreeing to the EULA etc

There is nothing we can do about the license on these drivers, and also which driver Windows installs.
But it seems that no proper DFU driver exist for Windows 11 ?

So even if users download driver from STM there is a problem as the driver isn't compatible with Windows 11 unless you disable security functions in the OS.
Dfuse seems to be obsolete and replaced by STM32CubeProgrammer so I don't think that STM will update the old driver.

This will of course affect the Chinese original software too but I doubt that they will address the problem.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:09 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:06 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:54 am
SA0BUX wrote:

But it seems that no proper DFU driver exist for Windows 11 ?

So even if users download driver from STM there is a problem as the driver isn't compatible with Windows 11 unless you disable security functions in the OS.
Dfuse seems to be obsolete and replaced by STM32CubeProgrammer so I don't think that STM will update the old driver.

This will of course affect the Chinese original software too but I doubt that they will address the problem.
OK.

But there is nothing we can do about this. The bootloader in the radio implements the DFU client, and its not possible to change the bootloader without dissassembling the radio and reflashing the MCU using a hardware programmer dongle.

If STM do not have a DFU driver that is compatibile with Windows 11, then people will need to use Windows 10 or Windows 7.

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:03 am

For what it's worth, I just updated to the 2023-08-18 firmware. This time, there were no issues. There has been at least one Windows (11) update since I last updated the firmware. Both Win11's Memory Integrity and the newer Kernel Mode Hardware-Enforced Stack Protection security features were enabled. So recently reinstalling the drivers using SP9TA's procedure and paths seems to have "held" this time. Who knows if it will continue, but I'm not arguing with success.