Alpha version available for download

OZ1MAX

Re: Alpha version available for download

Post by OZ1MAX » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am

What can be used for the V1 ?? or is it only for V2 and up !

nice work by the way ;)

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:12 am

The V2 firmware should work on all early radios. The V1 hardware was never released as far as we know, the first radios we have seen had the V2.1 PCB fitted.

Version numbers were never used publicly by TYT, they were just made up by users in the various online forums. So there is some confusion over the naming. What are generally referred to as V1 V2 and V3 all use the same firmware which we are calling V2.

V4 is needed because TYT changed to a new type of synthesiser chips which require different programming.

V5 is needed because they changed to a third type of synthesiser chips and a new type of IF chips.

If anyone is unsure which radio they have then it is safe to try each of the firmware versions until the Tx and Rx works.

Colin G4EML

OZ1MAX

Post by OZ1MAX » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:11 pm

Thanks Colin...

I´ll trry working with the V2 on my 9600, tryed to load it earlier, but with no luck, but i´ll give it a try again .. thank again for info ..

All the best
Hardy

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Post here if you are having problems, with an exact description of what you are doing and what is happening.

I am sure we can help.

Colin.

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:57 pm

Heya, nice work wonderfull! have this working, done also youtube video but anyways there is one issue,

The speaker is doing buzz sound, it will get a lot louder when put screen brightness to lower setting, it is related to screen backlight power switch, as I turn off background light the sound will go away. On screen background light setting 1-10% is loudest and 100% it still can be heard.
It get most noticeable when turning volume all down to min. and there is traffic or squelch full open. Also using external speaker will do the same.
Hardware version is V2.06 and firmware used 2. radio is not GPS version.

Riku, OH1E

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:47 pm

Yes, we know about this. It is barely audible on most radios but some, like yours, seem to be worse than others. Probably due to bad grounding through the front panel cable.

It might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting both ends of the front panel cable to see if that improves it.

We have tried raising the PWM frequency so that it is less noticeable but the LED circuits do not dim correctly at a higher frequency.

This may be the reason why the original firmware did not have dimming.

Colin G4EML.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:19 pm

This is a problem with the hardware design, using the ribbon cable to supply the high currents needed by the LEDs on the front panel

We did not realise the noise can still be heard on some radios even when the display is set to 100%.

This is strange, because the PWM duty cycle should be 100% , hence just DC to the LEDs.

We may need to override the PWM and set the pin as GPIO if the brightness is set to 100%, but we would need to check that the noise is actually caused by the backlight PWM, and not some other PWM in the firmware

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:46 am

the noise is coming also at 100% setting, but it is not so loud as is on lower setting.
Factory firmware there is no noise on level 1, 2 or 3 as the factory firmware has also dimmer settings. maybe if probe the frequency somehow? :D

OZ1MAX

Post by OZ1MAX » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 am

Hi again

Just wondering anyone got it loaded in a V1 ?? im trying but no luck yet ;) should i use the new firmware loader ? with my version the latest org. ver is 06.24 i guess ! just a little stuck here, maybe i dont get it quite yet :lol:

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:07 am

OZ1MAX wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 am
Hi again

Just wondering anyone got it loaded in a V1 ?? im trying but no luck yet ;) should i use the new firmware loader ? with my version the latest org. ver is 06.24 i guess ! just a little stuck here, maybe i dont get it quite yet :lol:
What version is written on the top of the main PCB in the radio. The version reported by the CPS and the official firmware is not accurate and basically useless.