User Interface controls

KD7MW

Re: User Interface controls

Post by KD7MW » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:10 am

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:32 am
Hi,
Except the SideKeys aren't modifiers only, they are also acting as buttons with short, long and extra long press events.
So Function and Shift are irrelevant.
SK acronym could also stand for Special Key in this regard.

Cheers
I don't think Function is irrelevant. The word "function" appears in the manual 50 times, referring to the "Function" key or "Function +" (some other key). :D So why shouldn't our cheat sheet call the key what our manual calls it?

It's easier to memorize that P1 is the function button, rather than that P1 is SK2, which is... what? (user fumbles for manual)... Oh, it's the function button.

I agree that SK could stand for "special key." Calling them Fn and Sh would remove a source of confusion where this key #1 is that key #2, and vice versa. And yes, these keys do have long press functions. But, the majority of the time, they are used as modifiers.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:53 am

KD7MW wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:10 am
F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:32 am
Hi,
Except the SideKeys aren't modifiers only, they are also acting as buttons with short, long and extra long press events.
So Function and Shift are irrelevant.
SK acronym could also stand for Special Key in this regard.

Cheers
I don't think Function is irrelevant. The word "function" appears in the manual 50 times
You mean like

Line 544: On the Baofeng DM-1801 / DM-860, this function is controlled using the A/B button.
Line 549: This function essentially reverses the TX and RX frequencies.
Line 567: This function is identical to the Filter described for Channel mode operation (above)
Line 874: When not actively scanning, pressing the Up or Down arrows performs the normal function in the VFO of increasing or decreasing the frequency.
Line 1186: The Auto Pwr-Off function does not work:
Line 1190: If Auto Pwr-Off function is enabled, the battery information (percentage or voltage) will be displayed in bold font.
Line 1192: Technically; the APO function uses the same low power functionality as Suspend mode, so the radio will continue to consume
Line 1278: The PTT latch function only works if a timeout has been defined for the Channel or VFO, to prevent constant accidental
Line 1522: This setting controls the DMR audio levelling function.
Line 1524: When this function is enabled, the firmware monitors the peak amplitude of
Line 1526: Setting this to 0dB (gain boost) enables this function. Increasing the AGC value, increases the additional audio gain which is
Line 1614: Controls whether Eco modes function on this channel. By default Eco modes are enabled on all channels, but Eco mode can be
Line 1900: In each mode, buttons SK1 and SK2 perform a different function, the operator cycles
Line 1902: The Control modes, and the function of buttons SK1 and SK2 in each mode is as follows:
Line 1910: Pressing SK1 toggles scanning to start or stop, in the same way that holding the Up and Down arrows controls the Zone scan function in the normal firmware.
etc

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:05 am

OK, 19 times-- the 17 instances below, plus twice more when it is first described in the 'Variations by radio' section. My point is that the word "function" is indeed already used to describe the key in question, the way I've indicated. Honestly, I'm not trying to be a pest here. I just think that as OpenGD77 supports more radios, it will get increasingly awkward to describe the keys as if the user were operating the original GD77. It may confuse new users. And I don't want them to be confused and give up. I want them to realize that OpenGD77 is the easiest and most sensible way for a ham to operate DMR, just as I have.

The 9600 brought the key-naming issue into focus for me because it is so different from its predecessors.
----
Dump of search for the string "function +" follows:

[379] Press Function + Green for quick access to the Channel details screen, which can also be accessed via the menu system.
[387] Press the Function + Star keys to toggle between FM and DMR mode, on either the VFO or Channel screens.
[411]To make a permanent change to a Channel custom power value, you must open the Channel Details screen, and then exit by pressing Function + Green.
[417] Press Function + Right to increase the power.
[418] Press Function + Left to decrease the power.
[426]To access this power setting, select the 5W power setting, then press and hold Function + Right
[465] Pressing Function + Up arrow or Function + Down arrow changes to the next or previous Zone, respectively.
[686] In Contact selection mode, press Function + Hash (#) key, and an alternative DMR ID can be entered for the radio (for test purposes) to temporarily override your normal DMR ID number which was loaded from the codeplug.
[692]To make the change permanent, so that itÆs written back to the codeplug Press Function + Green instead of Green to confirm the number.
[720]To make the squelch change permanent to a Channel, press Function + Green to enter the Channel Details screen, and then press Function + Green again to save the channel data to the codeplug.
[759]The step can be adjusted by pressing Function + Green to enter the Channel Details mode, and then adjusting the ôStepö setting
[781]To change the RX frequency again, press Function + Up arrow.
[910] Press Function + Left to backspace, and Function + Right to insert a space.
[1577] Pressing Function + Right or Function + Left skips to the end or beginning of the current CTCSS / DCS items.
[1623] Pressing Function + Green saves the settings to the codeplug, or in the case of the VFO the changes are saved to the non-volatile settings.
[1777] Press Function + Red menu key.
[1804]Once the Private Call is complete, you can return to the Talkgroup you were on prior to accepting the Private Call, by pressing Function + Red menu key. (or by any of the methods described in the section on making a Private Call).

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:10 am

So I'm trying to work out which approach to follow so I can finish the Cheatsheets for all 3 radios.
I don't think I'm attached to one idea or the other.

Looking at the manual I see:
  • 21 occurrences in 10 sections of "Function + somekey"
    These occur in older parts of the manual.
    Also in the Bright yellow GD77 cheatsheet, my previous DM1801, and the new RD5R cheatsheets.
  • 8 occurrences in 5 sections of "SK2 + somekey".
    These occur in newer sections of the manual.
    I.e. Satellite, Spectrum scan, Location, DTMF entry, Channel Detail editing.
If no one contradicts me I think I would like to go for the Function key option.
Because:
- less to change
- visually distinct which (IMHO) will mean less confusion as the two keys have quite different names.

That's my 2 cents.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:16 am

Looking in the .md file, there are 36 references to SK2

I don't think simply searching for "SK2 +" is really giving the full picture.

However it's your diagram, so you can do it whichever way you feel best