TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Discussion related to the exprimental TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 version
iu7nlw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:36 pm

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by iu7nlw » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:47 pm

sera a tutti da iu7nlw vincenzo di trani sono possessore di una tyt md 9600 e vorrei installare il firmware come l'open gd 77 qualcuno sa dirmi dove posso effetuare il dawnload del cps e del firmware?
Last edited by iu7nlw on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iu7nlw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:36 pm

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by iu7nlw » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:13 am

Could any forum members own a MD9600 and would be willing to test an Alpha version of the firmware, please reply to this thread, and I will then contact you via email with more details about the current status of the firmware etc.

Please, VK3KYY, may you send me a copy of the firmware?

I would like to test it on my MD9600.

Many thanks.

Enzo

VK3KYY
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 am

iu7nlw wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:13 am

Could any forum members own a MD9600 and would be willing to test an Alpha version of the firmware, please reply to this thread, and I will then contact you via email with more details about the current status of the firmware etc.

Please, VK3KYY, may you send me a copy of the firmware?

I would like to test it on my MD9600.

Many thanks.

Enzo
We are currently fixing some bugs and will make the firmware more widely available next week.

Currently I can't make the firmware available for everyone download, because of potential legal problems.
These are the same legal problems which we had on the GD77 last year, and require me to write a loader / patcher application.
We can't simply use the GD77 patcher + loader system, becuase the bootloader in the MD9600 uses a completely different protocol.

ve7mdt
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:23 am
Location: CN89

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by ve7mdt » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 am

this is very exciting even though I don't own a MD-9600.

My friend owns an old version (forgot if it's 1 or 2) and he confirmed that in the highest 2 power settings the BER was so high he couldn't get it into his local DMR repeater properly (while his other radios could). At first it was thought to be only on one band but later it was thought to be on both.

It is rather strange that TYT didn't catch this before they released the older versions, and took 2 or 3 iterations to get it right. I think TYT sometimes rushed out their products and they had more bugs. This in comparison w/ Anytone, which often delayed their release of new products, but they seem to carry fewer serious bugs (while often have more features).

I own an RT-3s, so it'll be also exciting when Roger and team will get to that eventually.

Thanks Roger and the other devs on this! Congrats!
73,
David
VE7ET / VE7MDT
DMR radios: D878UV, D578UV-III (not arrived yet), XPR 5550, XPR 4550, XPR 7550, SL 7550, VXD-7200, CS-800D, RD-5R, GD-77, RT3s, MD-340 (not arrived yet)
DMR repeater: XPR 8400 UHF

VK3KYY
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 am

ve7mdt wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 am
this is very exciting even though I don't own a MD-9600.

My friend owns an old version (forgot if it's 1 or 2) and he confirmed that in the highest 2 power settings the BER was so high he couldn't get it into his local DMR repeater properly (while his other radios could). At first it was thought to be only on one band but later it was thought to be on both.

It is rather strange that TYT didn't catch this before they released the older versions, and took 2 or 3 iterations to get it right. I think TYT sometimes rushed out their products and they had more bugs. This in comparison w/ Anytone, which often delayed their release of new products, but they seem to carry fewer serious bugs (while often have more features).

I own an RT-3s, so it'll be also exciting when Roger and team will get to that eventually.

Thanks Roger and the other devs on this! Congrats!
I have been given a version 2.1 hardware radio, and it seems to work OK, so possibly its just some radios which have the hardware problems, e.g. depending on individual component tollerances

I thought the problem was that low power settings can't access repeaters, because the PA does not ramp up its power fast enought to transmit the beginning of each DMR timeslot pulse

EB1HYS
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:31 pm

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by EB1HYS » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:33 pm

Please, VK3KYY, may you send me a copy of the firmware?

I would like to test it on my MD9600 (no GPS)

Many thanks. My mail: eb1hys@gmail.com

Ruben / EB1HYS / DMR ID: 2144013

VK3KYY
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:41 pm

rusale wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:33 pm
Please, VK3KYY, may you send me a copy of the firmware?

I would like to test it on my MD9600 (no GPS)

Many thanks. My mail: eb1hys@gmail.com

Ruben / EB1HYS / DMR ID: 2144013
Hi Ruben

I think we will be able to open testing to more people, and not lock to DMR ID.

But I must still individually email the files becuase of possible legal problems.

And I also need to write a post that describes how to backup and then install the firmware

I will try to write the post today (Tuesday)

EB1HYS
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:31 pm

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by EB1HYS » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 am

Ok, I look forward to the files and your instructions as soon as you can. Greetings, and thank you very much for all the work !!! EB1HYS

VK3KYY
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:24 am

EB1HYS wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 am
Ok, I look forward to the files and your instructions as soon as you can. Greetings, and thank you very much for all the work !!! EB1HYS
I have changed your username to your callsign, because this is site policy.

EB1HYS
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:31 pm

Re: TYT MD-9600 / Retevis RT-90 : Experimental version

Post by EB1HYS » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 am

Ok perfect! Tnx

Post Reply