Re: APRS beacon testers needed

Post by IU1JCT » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:10 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:46 pm
Hi,
IU1JCT wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:06 pm
Have a nice day.

I tested the modes I'm interested in, namely PTT and Auto, but I can't make them work as indicated.
Auto mode: does not work at all, does not transmit any packets, with Interval programmed
PTT mode: Transmit when PTT is released. but does not consider Interval scheduled, each release transmits.
It works like the previous release 2023-09-15
What did I do wrong?
May be a bad installation?
I use MD-UV390

Many Thanks
Corrado IU1JCT
This version starts to be outdated, few bugs got fixed.
Does you location is correctly set ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Where I have to set the position? I haven't found that.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:38 pm

It depends of your configuration, but at least you can check the one stored in "Menu" -> "Radio Info" -> down/down/down

Then, what is the setting of the APRS Options "Location" ?
Are you using GPS ?

IU1JCT

Post by IU1JCT » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:48 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:46 pm
Hi,
IU1JCT wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:06 pm
Have a nice day.

I tested the modes I'm interested in, namely PTT and Auto, but I can't make them work as indicated.
Auto mode: does not work at all, does not transmit any packets, with Interval programmed
PTT mode: Transmit when PTT is released. but does not consider Interval scheduled, each release transmits.
It works like the previous release 2023-09-15
What did I do wrong?
May be a bad installation?
I use MD-UV390

Many Thanks
Corrado IU1JCT
This version starts to be outdated, few bugs got fixed.
Does you location is correctly set ?

Maybe I understand, are you referring to the "Radio info" item in the menu?
IF Yes, it is set up correctly.
Regards
Corrado

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Where I have to set the position? I haven't found that.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:00 pm

See the User Guide for how to set the location

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... ion-screen

AA3RP

Post by AA3RP » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:45 pm

Just received a MD-390 with GPS which seems to work fine when I am out of the house. I get between 7 to 10 sats in 1 to 2 min from a cold start.

My query is, are the files from 5-6 Oct 2023 for the CPS and firmware the ones I need for getting APRS up and started testing ?

I have some GPS antennas and chips on the way for mods to a pair of my MD-9600s. One I want to the antenna internal, and the other I hope to set up for external antenna input.

Final question about the MD-9600. Does it have a +5V anywhere that is easily accessible internally. I would like to use +5V for the external antenna if possible rather than 3.3Vcc, but this is not a show stopper.

Looking forward to checking this APRS aspect out.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:22 pm

AA3RP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:45 pm
Just received a MD-390 with GPS which seems to work fine when I am out of the house. I get between 7 to 10 sats in 1 to 2 min from a cold start.

My query is, are the files from 5-6 Oct 2023 for the CPS and firmware the ones I need for getting APRS up and started testing ?

I have some GPS antennas and chips on the way for mods to a pair of my MD-9600s. One I want to the antenna internal, and the other I hope to set up for external antenna input.

Final question about the MD-9600. Does it have a +5V anywhere that is easily accessible internally. I would like to use +5V for the external antenna if possible rather than 3.3Vcc, but this is not a show stopper.

The files for APRS beacon are posted at the beginning of this thread.

On the MD9600, you'd need to poke around to see if you can find a 5V.
Howver, as the CPU chip in these radios is a 3.3V device, if your GPS is outputting 5V serial data, it could potentially damage the CPU.
i.e some CPU pins are "5V tollerant" but not all, and you would need to check is pins PA9 and PA10 are 5V tollerant.

If your GPS has its own internal regulator from 5V to 3.3V, often they will accept 3.3V , or failing that, just bypass the regulator

The GPS voltage is normally switched via a 2 transistors located inside the front panel of the radio, so the best way to power the GPS is to solder to the pads where the official GPS is located, on the front panel PCB, this also is where its best to feed the serial data from the GPS.

If you power the GPS from somewhere else in the radio, its likely to be drawing power all the time, because the MD-9600 does not actually have any master 12V power switching. Its On all the time.

When you appear to turn it off, all that's actually happening is that the display is cleared and the CPU is put into its sleep mode to save power consumption.

Possibly a few hundred mA of current doesn't matter to you, but if you leave that sort of load on a car battery for a few weeks, e.g. while in an airport parking lot, you may find that the battery won't have enough energy to crank the engine when you return.

AA3RP

Post by AA3RP » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:35 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:22 pm
AA3RP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:45 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
The files for APRS beacon are posted at the beginning of this thread.
Thank you for the clarification
VK3KYY wrote:

On the MD9600, you'd need to poke around to see if you can find a 5V.
Howver, as the CPU chip in these radios is a 3.3V device, if your GPS is outputting 5V serial data, it could potentially damage the CPU.
i.e some CPU pins are "5V tollerant" but not all, and you would need to check is pins PA9 and PA10 are 5V tollerant.

If your GPS has its own internal regulator from 5V to 3.3V, often they will accept 3.3V , or failing that, just bypass the regulator

The GPS voltage is normally switched via a 2 transistors located inside the front panel of the radio, so the best way to power the GPS is to solder to the pads where the official GPS is located, on the front panel PCB, this also is where its best to feed the serial data from the GPS.
I do plan on using the empty pads for where a factory supplied GPS module would be. I have found several external GPS that return TTL level at 3.3v apx. They are designed to use a 5V supply but will work at 3.3 as a minimum. In my research the gain and response of the active antenna system improves as you get closer to a 5V supply. It seems that you are giving up 6 to 8 db of sensitivity gain between 3.3 and 5 V of supply.

Regardless, I am sure running at 3.3V supply will still be better that the factory supplied GPS when using an active external GPS antenna & Module combo.
VK3KYY wrote:

If you power the GPS from somewhere else in the radio, its likely to be drawing power all the time, because the MD-9600 does not actually have any master 12V power switching. Its On all the time.

When you appear to turn it off, all that's actually happening is that the display is cleared and the CPU is put into its sleep mode to save power consumption.

Possibly a few hundred mA of current doesn't matter to you, but if you leave that sort of load on a car battery for a few weeks, e.g. while in an airport parking lot, you may find that the battery won't have enough energy to crank the engine when you return.
I run my MD-9600s that are in vehicles off the AUX supply that is unpowered when vehicle is shutdown. I know what most say about having a direct wire connection to the battery, but I would rather deal with any radio issue(s) before having a flat battery and not able to use the vehicle.
Thank you and looking forward to expanding my horizons with this APRS stuff

i5ekx

Post by i5ekx » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:14 am

I'm sorry, but I can't find the password to install the CPS, is it really that secret? :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:24 am

i5ekx wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:14 am
I'm sorry, but I can't find the password to install the CPS, is it really that secret? :D
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3495

i5ekx

Post by i5ekx » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:31 am

Grazie! Thanks!