Is there a development plan?

Discussions related to the firmware code development
R1CBU

Is there a development plan?

Post by R1CBU » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:44 pm

Hello!

I am a programmer myself, so I am very glad that I found an open firmware for VHF radio. I can help with development. I worked a lot with STM32 (accompanied UHSDR) and know FreeRTOS well. I wonder if there is any development plan: what functions are being developed and with what priority.

For example, I found that when using GPS on RT3S, only coordinates are used. Time and date are not set.

A little more depressing UI in the MDUV380 version. It is clear that this is a legacy from the small and monochrome display of the GD77, but I think it would be good to use all the possibilities available. I can suggest using the LVGL library. I also know it well. It is just adapted for similar tasks - small and/or monochrome displays for embedded systems. But at the same time it provides a convenient and extensive UI.

VK3KYY

Re: Is there a development plan?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:36 pm

No

There is no plan

If you find a bug, post it to the forum

Someone may eventually have time to fix it

R1CBU

Post by R1CBU » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Those. you are not interested in helping and I can fork and develop it myself with a clear conscience?
Thank's!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 pm

R1CBU wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 pm
Those. you are not interested in helping and I can fork and develop it myself with a clear conscience?
Thank's!
No time available. My day job is over 40 hours per week, so I have very limited spare time, and many other things to do.

Re: LVGL library

Such a library is unlikely to fit in the limited ROM space on the GD77 series radios, and UI code is generally common to all radios.
GD77 now has < 1k available ROM space

Your version will only work for STM32 radios, so will be completely different, to the existing codebase.
You will probably also need to write your own user guide and also create and maintain your own voice prompts, as they are closely coupled to the UI strings table

OpenRTx has a much cleaner codebase, but is FM only, and you can't use OpenGD77 code in OpenRTx, because the licenses are different.