Bigger (or better) DMR ID Database

Discussions related to the firmware code development
KD7MW

Bigger (or better) DMR ID Database

Post by KD7MW » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:25 am

Hi, Roger, Daniel and developers. I have an idea about how to give OpenGD77 a bigger DMR ID database. Forgive me if you have already thought of it or it's not feasible. I'm not a programmer myself, but maybe I know enough to be dangerous :-)

In CPS, create a list of all unique first names in the desired subset of the full DMR database, and assign each name an integer. A two-byte unsigned integer can define 65,536 names, more than enough. Then in the radio, store the appropriate integer in each DMR database record, rather than the name. Also store a name lookup table in the radio. That way, we store each unique first name only once. The lookup table could be an array of fixed-length names with the integer as a pointer to the appropriate name. Or the names could be variable length, and the integer could tell the radio how many end-of-record characters to count to find the appropriate name. Which method to use is probably a speed/size tradeoff.

Another idea: Is it possible to download, somewhere, a CSV file that has "last heard" information in it? If CPS could handle that, we could set it to only load IDs to the radio that have been heard in the past n days--n being user-specified. We could then adjust n so the resulting list would fit in the radio.

These ideas might help those of us who don't have the necessary skills and equipment to transplant larger-capacity surface mount chips into a handheld. Meanwhile, we all should be pestering the powers-that-be, particularly the MOTO-TRBO people, to implement talker alias as a general DMR ID to callsign/name standard. Or something else that everyone can live with. Memory is finite, the DMR list keeps growing, and nothing can grow indefinitely without eventually hitting the ceiling. Eventually, "the network," whichever one we're on, is going to have to handle ID to callsign translation.

--Peter, KD7MW

KD7MW

Re: Bigger (or better) DMR ID Database

Post by KD7MW » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:50 am

My second suggestion may have been a case of "oops, I missed that." Is the CPS' download from Ham-Digital.org usable? I read that the site is discontinued or orphaned. But CPS does download a list of IDs and callsigns only--no names. And they appear in order of how many days ago they were heard. So the question is, what network is the data coming from? And does CPS sort the data before writing it to the radio?

Since I use both Brandmeister and a regional MOTO-TRBO network, I can't just rely on Talker Alias data.

--Peter, KD7MW

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:42 am

I just wanted to say that second point of your first post (IDs by lastheard) already exists, but is currently broken (no names, only callsigns)... And then I saw your second post... :D

Considering MotoTRBO part, Talker Alias is already (or should I say finally) working good, since about a year ago. Now we need all Moto repeaters and all Moto transceivers updated... Have you watched Mission Impossible...? :lol:

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:39 am

I am NOT a MOTO-guy....but I slept last night at a national hotel chain....
Hi Hi

Um, I am told that the repeaters can be upgraded to not get confused with the TA from a local RF (incoming) decode. (Previous upgrades can/will pass TA info from Tier 3 but not from the Tier2 "connections".)

And I have observed the same with the local MOTO gear here. We have three different Tier 3 networks here in Albuquerque across 7 DMR repeaters, some of which ARE moto_based with a variety of controllers including at least one c-bridge.

As you know, specifics are only useful when they are believed. Good luck om.

es vy 73 de 'baab" w9ya