Power Levels vs. Battery voltage vs. dif. Radios

Discussions related to the firmware code development
G4EML

Re: Power Levels vs. Battery voltage vs. dif. Radios

Post by G4EML » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 am

Interesting results, it looks like your radio does have a very high gain from the driver and PA stages. You could certainly run with a permanently reduced drive level. Looking at your graphs you could possibly go even lower than 8.

There is no separate adjustment for 4FSK power. Assuming your adjustment on FM hasn’t had any bad effects the 4FSK power will be adjusted by the same amount. It would be worth checking the RF burst envelope on a scope, reducing the drive level could possibly cause some distortion in the rise and fall times.

Colin.

OE5DMF

Post by OE5DMF » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:39 am

G4EML wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 am
Interesting results, it looks like your radio does have a very high gain from the driver and PA stages. You could certainly run with a permanently reduced drive level. Looking at your graphs you could possibly go even lower than 8.

There is no separate adjustment for 4FSK power. Assuming your adjustment on FM hasn’t had any bad effects the 4FSK power will be adjusted by the same amount. It would be worth checking the RF burst envelope on a scope, reducing the drive level could possibly cause some distortion in the rise and fall times.

Colin.
ok.Thought the FSK values in the calibration data are power values. But they are the FSK deviation. Thanks for the information.
I think i can not go lower than 0Ah. As i mentioned before this criteria has to be filled:
(1W DAC-Value) * 0.59 = (50mW DAC-Value)
If this is not met, the power is not correct calculated in the firmware.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:55 pm

Can you confirm whethe you attempted to calibrate the 1W and 5W using the Calibration screen in the CPS ??

e.g. Setting the "Low power" / 1W values to 0 ?

OE5DMF

Post by OE5DMF » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:42 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:55 pm
Can you confirm whethe you attempted to calibrate the 1W and 5W using the Calibration screen in the CPS ??

e.g. Setting the "Low power" / 1W values to 0 ?
Hi Roger,
i have not done any calibration so far since the padrv_ibit value change.
I do not realy understand your question. Can you explain it a bit further?

But it would be very handy to have the padrv_ibit value at the Calibration screen. ;)
(eliminates the use of a hex editor)

OE5DMF

Post by OE5DMF » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:46 pm

G4EML wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 am

Colin.
You are right.
I tested how low i can go. but at a certain point the dmr error rate rises and suddenly the dmr signal is not recognized anymore by the hotspot.

Even i have found a good spot where the power curve and the firmware power calculation match, i can not use it. The DMR signal is defect at this low chip output power.

So if the hardware can not be correct for the firmware now the firmware has to be correct for the hardware. ;) self compile...

Or even better how about an editable power factor table? VK3KYY?