Licence change?

Discussions related to the firmware code development
VK3KYY

Re: Licence change?

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am

The repo has been updated with the commit from the last beta release.

I was incorrect in my ascertion that all code from KC7RBW had been rewritten.
Some code has and some has not.

I am no longer maintaining this firmware or making further releases.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:22 am

PR has been created to the orginal master at HamDV

https://github.com/hamdv/OpenGD77/pull/62

When the PR accepted I will delete my fork and the HamDV will become the master.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am
I am no longer maintaining this firmware or making further releases.
Thank you, and thanks to Daniel, for all the hours, days and months spent developing OpenGD77 in last couple of years.

I absolutely understand your reasons and support your decisions (as individual and as a team).

All good things come to an end, it's a part of life, and the reason to enjoy them while they last.

*taking my hat off and taking a bow, nothing else is left*

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:43 am

Following on from my previous post about pushing the changes up to Ham DV.

Kai has now deleted the upstream repo, in case there is any problems with the software license.

So as soon as all interested parties have taken a copy of the source code, I will also need to delete my repo, as I am not willing to have the responsibility of being the master repo, for something which has a badly drafted software license.

I also can't take the risk of any legal action for the CPS. So I will also be deleting that repo.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Thank you for posting the source code, Roger. I think there's a path forward from here.
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm
however I will need to remove some private code which is not released, for various new functions and enhancements.
Can we trust that that private code was not part of any of the releases you previously posted? I think the answer is yes, just checking.
When we build what you've posted, will it be identical to the last released build (modulo git commit ID)?

I've taken a copy of the code and plan to see if I can sanitize things so that there's nothing in the source code repo that can't comply with the license. That will take some time. If there are others who would like to collaborate on that, please reach out to me. I do not plan to become a maintainer of this project. Once we've cleaned up all the legal barriers I trust someone will want to adopt the project again.

(deleted reference to another project)
Last edited by KC7RBW on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm

KC7RBW wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Thank you for posting the source code, Roger. I think there's a path forward from here.
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm
however I will need to remove some private code which is not released, for various new functions and enhancements.
Can we trust that that private code was not part of any of the releases you previously posted? I think the answer is yes, just checking.
When we build what you've posted, will it be identical to the last released build (modulo git commit ID)?

I've taken a copy of the code and plan to see if I can sanitize things so that there's nothing in the source code repo that can't comply with the license. That will take some time. If there are others who would like to collaborate on that, please reach out to me. I do not plan to become a maintainer of this project. Once we've cleaned up all the legal barriers I trust someone will want to adopt the project again.

Folks should note that there's also another open source radio firmware project that runs on the GD-77 and similar radios over at https://openrtx.org
It's a young project (highly experimental), but it's coming along nicely and aims to support the new M17 protocol as well. I haven't started working with them, but they seem to understand and be committed to keeping the code open source.
Hey 0.7% (it seems you like numbers, that's yours), now you have killed the whole thing, go do your promotion elsewhere, you will be very nice.

F1CXG

Post by F1CXG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 pm

HEOUIYADESGROSCONSCELUIAENESTUNBEAUSPECIMEN....................... :cry:

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm
now you have killed the whole thing
Gosh, I hope not! I never asked anyone to take down the builds - never even suggested or implied it. I never asked anyone to stop working on the project. Releasing the source code doesn't force anyone to stop working on it - quite the opposite! As far as my own admittedly meager portion of the copyright is concerned I trust that the license terms are now satisfied by the latest pushes to the repository.

I understand that Roger's not interested in fixing the problem with the AMBE codec blob. I'm planning to spend time on that problem myself. I'll post my solution when it's done but I'm not in a big rush. If someone else gets it done before I do that's great! At that point it will be possible for you and Roger to release completely open source builds of the firmware, and for users to patch in the problematic codec before uploading it to their radios.

That takes that problem off of you and puts it on end users who are extremely unlikely to ever be contacted by DVSI, especially because they've all purchased radios, which means they've purchased a license to the codec.

There are even major corporations that do funny things like that. The most notable is NVIDIA, to avoid having to license their Linux drivers under GPL-2.0.

DL4LEX

Post by DL4LEX » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Even if I didn't contribute much in the last couple of month, I won't do something like OpenGD77 again. Lesson learned. Thank you.

g0hww

Post by g0hww » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 pm

DL4LEX wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:32 pm
Even if I didn't contribute much in the last couple of month, I won't do something like OpenGD77 again. Lesson learned. Thank you.
What is the lesson that you have learned?