Having issues with the built firmware on macOS

Discussions related to the firmware code development
Arnie97

Having issues with the built firmware on macOS

Post by Arnie97 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:23 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to build the current development branch (commit e3b7357) for RD-5R. I can build the Debug_RD-5R sgl in MCUXpresso without any problems, but after flashing it into my radio, the radio doesn't work anymore (nothing shown on the screen and no USB serial port after power on).

The bootloader is still working, so I can flash back to the official binary release D2021.01.19.01, and everything works fine. However, the firmware info screen indicates this official binary was built from commit b7ed21e, which is not present in the Git repo. Did I miss something? I also tried with the master branch (commit 7bf8abf), but the result cannot work either, so I guess there might be something wrong with my build process. Could anyone please help me? The build results were too large for forum attachments so I've posted them to https://github.com/Arnie97/test/releases/tag/feb11.

Thank you and best regards.
Last edited by Arnie97 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Re: Having issues with the built firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Due to multiple breaches of the licence and copyright, the developers took the decision to suspend updating the public repo

The code is copyright of the developers, so they are legally allowed to do this.

I don't know for certain whether the code in the repo builds correctly for the RD5R, but you should check you are building for the correct platform and are not building for the GD77 and somehow deploying to the RD5R

BTW.

I think the public repo will get updated with some bug fixes soon, but not with new features in the latest version

Arnie97

Post by Arnie97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am

Okay, Thank you all for the awesome firmware anyway. I understand and respect the developer team's decision, though I feel sorry for the OpenGD77 project which had now become "ClosedGD77".

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 am

Not entirely closed

There was a update today to fix some legacy bugs

I expect there will be more bug fixes in the future

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 pm

Thread is unlocked.

The Open nature of the firmware is not up for discussion.

I spend literally hundreds if not thousands of hours a year on this firmware and the CPS, which everyone gets for free.
The same applies to other developers like Daniel F1RMB.

Plus a lot of personal expense buying multiple radios (5 x GD77, 1 x GD77S, 1 x DM1801, 1x RD5R), not all of which still work as they needed to be mechanically disassembled

If that's not good enough for people, then I'll simply stop publishing the binaries entirely.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:38 am

Arnie97 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am
Okay, Thank you all for the awesome firmware anyway. I understand and respect the developer team's decision, though I feel sorry for the OpenGD77 project which had now become "ClosedGD77".
Yeah? Really? So walk away. Go buy some Motorola. See what is closed source. Bye, bye...

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 pm
Thread is unlocked.

The Open nature of the firmware is not up for discussion.

I spend literally hundreds if not thousands of hours a year on this firmware and the CPS, which everyone gets for free.
The same applies to other developers like Daniel F1RMB.

Plus a lot of personal expense buying multiple radios (5 x GD77, 1 x GD77S, 1 x DM1801, 1x RD5R), not all of which still work as they needed to be mechanically disassembled

If that's not good enough for people, then I'll simply stop publishing the binaries entirely.
Roger, there will always be bad people frustrated with their insignificant lives. Don't let them annoy you. There are many of us highly appreciating your work, but we are not that loud. ;)

Cheers!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:44 am

YT5HOK wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 am
Roger, there will always be bad people frustrated with their insignificant lives. Don't let them annoy you. There are many of us highly appreciating your work, but we are not that loud. ;)
Cheers!
Thankyou.

I am constantly working on the firmware, and there are many boring and technical things I don't post about.

Currently I'm trying to find why 2 people of the 400 who downloaded the beta on 13th Feb, have some problems with Eco Levels
Also some people have problems with some update to Windows 10, breaking the CPS, which I did a work-around, but need to find a better solution.

At the weekend, all of Sunday was researching why my DM1801 would not connect to my duplex hotspot, and eventually after a email discussion with VK7ZJA and G4EML, and some research by G4EML, that there is a separate calibration parameter for DMR Tx freq.

So I did a bug fix for the CPS for Windows 10 and the calibration.

Also, someone reported the power level on the RD5R is very low on DMR, but when I researched this, I found the DMR power envelope has some problems, which I also need to investigate.

People think making this firmware is easy and does not take much time, but they are very wrong.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:36 pm

majonez wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 am
I appreciate your and your mates hard work - respect. Great job.
But what do you expect from us? A donation? If so i'll be the first who will make one.
A participation in the development? Well, i have some microcontroller related skills, but have no spare time.
Bug tracing? Applause?
Again, yes, this is great. Please don't stop publishing updates, even only compiled ones.
I think adding a small note in readme.md that the project is currently suspended (at least a source code) would be useful for those who wants to compile it from source.I spent some time to figure out why my compiled bin is that different from official bin.
I understand your frustration, but what can i say or do to calm you?
If you don't like his/theirs (developers') decisions, don't use the product. If you don't have time to test, then don't.

As I said to another whiner, just walk away. Bye...

P.S.
And if you ask what rights I have to comment, I earned my rights by doing a small part of beta testing for Roger since the beginning, even before this forum and before public testing.

Bye now...

oh1fss

Post by oh1fss » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 pm
I spend literally hundreds if not thousands of hours a year on this firmware and the CPS
Thanks, impressive work!

If you publish the source code, others can help finding bugs and even help developing new features. That's how Linux has become so great. Linus Torvalds has not done everything by himself, but he started it and now coordinates the development. He is a hero.