Programming Retevis RT82 CP for DMR

Post your OpenGD77 codeplugs here
N2BRG

Programming Retevis RT82 CP for DMR

Post by N2BRG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:31 pm

Hello
Want to thank all involved with the development of OpenGD77. Great firmware upgrade.

This firmware has saved a couple Retevis RT-82s from going back into the junk drawer.

The only issue I am having is setting the DMR up. I am encountering the same thing that I had with programming the DMR with the original software.
Thsi is probably my fault here. When I program the CP for a few talkgroups that seems to go fine. I am able to access them via my hotspot. But...
The issue seems that if lets say TalkGroup 91 WorldWide is active and I switch to another talkgroup (channel) I can stil hear TG 91 chatter. The talkgroup seems to follow to any channel I switch to that is programmed in. I have an Anytone 878 and do not have that issue. There must be some sort of follow switch that I am missing in the Retevis cp or I am just missing something alltogether. The radio is quite useless if I was chatting on TG 91 and go to lets say America TG xxxx channel and still here TG 91. I do not have this issue with the analog channals that are programmed in.
What am I missing when programming this radio cp that I do not encounter with my other radio?
Thanks in advance.
Gary, N2BRG

P.S. Is there anyone in the Tampa Bay area, FL that has a CP for the Retevis RT82?

SA0BUX

Re: Programming Retevis RT82 CP for DMR

Post by SA0BUX » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:40 pm

N2BRG wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:31 pm
Hello
Want to thank all involved with the development of OpenGD77. Great firmware upgrade.

This firmware has saved a couple Retevis RT-82s from going back into the junk drawer.

The only issue I am having is setting the DMR up. I am encountering the same thing that I had with programming the DMR with the original software.
Thsi is probably my fault here. When I program the CP for a few talkgroups that seems to go fine. I am able to access them via my hotspot. But...
The issue seems that if lets say TalkGroup 91 WorldWide is active and I switch to another talkgroup (channel) I can stil hear TG 91 chatter. The talkgroup seems to follow to any channel I switch to that is programmed in. I have an Anytone 878 and do not have that issue. There must be some sort of follow switch that I am missing in the Retevis cp or I am just missing something alltogether. The radio is quite useless if I was chatting on TG 91 and go to lets say America TG xxxx channel and still here TG 91. I do not have this issue with the analog channals that are programmed in.
What am I missing when programming this radio cp that I do not encounter with my other radio?
Thanks in advance.
Gary, N2BRG

P.S. Is there anyone in the Tampa Bay area, FL that has a CP for the Retevis RT82?
You should disconnect the dynamic TG (91), on Brandmeister you do that with TG4000, otherwise will the talkgroup continue to be active on the repeater or hotspot.

OpenGD77 is promiscuous for talkgroups by default, you need to activate a DMR filter to block other talkgroups on the channel.
https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... .md#filter

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:48 pm

Do you have any static TG / routes defined, or are you using dynamic routing

If you have any static routes defined, then the server will always send any traffic on any of the static TG / routes to your hotspot

Assuming you have a normal simplex hotspot, which can only transmit on one TS at a time, then you will receive whichever static TG the server decides to send to the hotspot

If you didn't setup any static TG routes, there is still a well known problem using TG91.Because the amount of traffic on the TG basically overloads the servers and causes them to ignore most transmissions you make on other TGs, i.e to change TG.

To force disconnect from 91, you can try transmitting repeatedly on TG4000 and wait for the 'disconnected' message, and even then, you should wait 15 secs to ensure you are really disconnected

This problem is not the firmware, codeplug or hotspot. , TG91 is a Brandmeister network problem

N2BRG

Post by N2BRG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I understand what your saying. It is not the slot being held up it is the audio that is following, will kind of a held slot, but the audio should not follow when changing to another DMR channel. Another example would be. I am on America TG and it has chatter and I go to lets say AMSAT TG that is usually quiet, when I change the channel to AMSAT the audio is following from America TG chatter as if I had the radio set for dual watch. If I go to an analog channel the active TG is gone. So it rules out having both A and B being monitored. I can go to TG 4000 and if I can get through due to a busy slot it will disconnect. It is as if any active DMR channel has audio priority over any other DMR channels that I have programmed in. Any TG I capture and is active the audio follows when I change channels. Doing a disconnect is fine, but you should not need to do that evertime switching to a different TG until you are ready to use it At least I do not have that issue on my Anytone. Yes of course I would need to disconnect from an active TG on the Anytone, but when I change the channel on the anytone the active TG audio does not follow, it just goes quiet on the new channel until I am ready to talk on that TG or have to disconnect to talk on the new TG. There is something in the Anytone that you can turn on and any active TG will follow with audio, but I can't remember wat it was called. That is why I am thinking there is a switch in this CP software that when checked or unchecked an active TG will go quiet when changing DNR channels I don't seem to see one. It has to be user error on my part.
Thanks

Sorry for the long example again. I did not see the reply about the static while typing the long winded example.. That sounds like that would do it. I am not used to this CP and probably did just that sticking the TGs in the static. I'll take a look, and that makes perfict sense.
Thank you...

N2BRG

Post by N2BRG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:36 pm

I just opened the CP software I feel quite stupid here. Where is the Static /dynamic routing? This is quite different from what I am used to. I am using a simplex hotspot with WPSD.

N2BRG

Post by N2BRG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:54 pm

I was just up on TG 91 World Wide and VK4MIC chimed in mentioning the Promiscuous Mode. He said that there is a Youtube video on turnning that on and off with this firmwre. I was drawing a blank on the name of that mode (switch) There is a switch for that in the Anytone CP. I am now looking for the video and or info on that.
Thanks all for the input.
Gary, N2BRG

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:06 pm

Static routes are setup in the Brandmeister "Self care" portal, or via the Brandmeister remote admin API system, which AFIK integrates into PiStar

So if you didn't set up any static routes through Self Care or API then you don't have any

I assume you have a simplex hotspot

Is a common missconception that the network sends all TG's to your hotspot and it transmits them and the radio chooses what it wants to receive.
This is not correct

The network decides what TG's it sends to you

If you are using Dynamic TG routing, then the network normally only sends the TG that you last transmitted on

However, for TG91 often the network gets confused and keeps sending you TG 91 and the new TG you transmitted on

Hence why you need to transmit on TG4000, which is a command to the network to DISCONNECT

Then transmit on another TG to select that as the TG you are connected to

By default the firmware will receive whatever TG is being transmitted, unless you change the default settings in the radio

So the problem you have is Network / Hotspot / User related

N2BRG

Post by N2BRG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 pm

Thanks Roger for explaining the difference of Static and dynamic when it comes to Brandmeister.
I am not used to having to go to TG 4000 everytime I change channels unless nessesary for me to talk on the new TG if my last tg is holding the slot. It is just confusing to here the last TG activ audio follow me to any othere digital channel. In the Anytone there is a switch that sets "Promiscuous Mode" (may not be the exact name) that the active channel follows you on what ever channel you select. As for Brandmeister self care I have never set anything there since I have been on DMR. And as for the hotspot, it is Simplex. The Anytone I have been using does not have the issue with audio following when changing channels. I apparently have the mode turned off. A couple more chimmed in on 91 about the same thing I am having and one of the two mentioned that mode has to be turned off. That is two that mentioned that mode. I have found the video by M0FXB " RT3S-OPENGD77 PROMISCOUS MODE AND DUAL WATCH (QUICK MENU ) " , but he went so fast in the explanation I could not follow it. Also, it is for a Retevis RT3S. So this probably dos not apply.
Before I forget, and not sure I mentioned this, but I am not running the original Pi-Star software on my simplex Zumspot I am running WPSD.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:10 am

On the Anytone you probably won't hear TG91 coming through but if you look on your PiStar dashboard, its highly likely to be coming through and this will screw up any conversations you try to have on other TGs

The OpenGD77 firmware is basically in promiscious mode all the time, unless you change it.

Its generally better not to enable TG filtering in the OpenGD77 QuickMenu settings, becuase it masks the fact that your hotspot is transmitting other TG's without you noticing.
Especially as you have a simplex hotspot, becuase anytime its transmitting on TG91 it can't transmit another other TGs

Its quite common with TG91 for people to start using another TG and for traffic on TG91 to suddenly start coming though again, and blocking the other TG as 91 is very active

N2BRG

Post by N2BRG » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:23 am

Thanks again Roger,
I guess we will have to get used to the way the Retevis and the new firmware works together. I'll get these programmed up and let my friend know it is not what we are used to with the Anytone. At least with this firmware the radio can be programmed, not like the original Retevis CPS which was a total buggy nightmare to work with. This CPS is pretty straightforward for programming the radio.
TC and thanks again
Gary, N2BRG
Last edited by N2BRG on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.