Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

W7ML

Re: Experimental Baofeng RD-5R version

Post by W7ML » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:58 pm

While I read the User Guide (thank you), let me ask:

It seems to me that the RD-5R is missing two important features of the GD-77, so as to not bastardize sales of the GD-77:

1) An ability to program a new DMR repeater from the keyboard (requiring use of a computer even "on the road"); and

2) A very limited memory to hold Digital Contacts, such as the hundreds of thousands of worldwide Digital IDs.

Does the Open version of the firmware fix these two deficiencies?

Also, what do you mean by "grapped?"

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 am

MichaelLAX wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:58 pm
While I read the User Guide (thank you), let me ask:

It seems to me that the RD-5R is missing two important features of the GD-77, so as to not bastardize sales of the GD-77:

1) An ability to program a new DMR repeater from the keyboard (requiring use of a computer even "on the road"); and

2) A very limited memory to hold Digital Contacts, such as the hundreds of thousands of worldwide Digital IDs.

Does the Open version of the firmware fix these two deficiencies?

The OpenGD77 firmware is completely different to the official firmware on any of these radios.
The OpenGD77/DM1801/RD5R does not have a lot of the features that are in the official firmware.
SMS is not supported, nor is DCDM and various other things.

Your guess is as good as mine to why various features are not in the official RD5R firmware, but ultimately the firmware for all these radios is written by the same secretive organistion, whose name we can't determine.

The OpenRD5R is most of the features of the OpenGD77/ OpenDM108, except for Hotspot mode, and some features in the future can't be supported on the RD-5R due to hardware limitations.

EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 am

MichaelLAX wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:58 pm

Sorry, mispelling.
I mixed to words.

Wrapped, grabbed, hostage, captured, held, limited, restricted...

As The Police song;
"Wrapped arround your fingers..."

Note:
As I've previously mentioned English is my 3rd language and from time to time I do this kind of mistakes... :roll:

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:13 pm

PY2GPS wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 pm
Hello all...

I´m using DM-5R with OpenRD5R Built 07:25:41 Aug 29 2020 and my radio keeps the display always on. Has anyone here noticed this same problem?

Thanks
PY2GPS
Rafael
Your username has been changed to your callsign, becuase its site policy for people to use their callsign as their user name if they have a callsign