Experimental version with DMR Talk Permit tone

VK3KYY

Experimental version with DMR Talk Permit tone

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 am

I've been experimenting with playing a beep to the speaker (NOT to RF), when the DMR transmission has started.

This is most useful when waking a repeater, as you know when the repeater has woken up and the radio has actually started to transmit to the repeater.

However if the repeater is already awake you will get the tone even if the repeater is unable to hear you, as it simply signifies that main DMR transmission phase has started

I am investigating whether there is a system for checking when a repeater already transmitting that the radio is being heard by the repeater.

Currently the other thing, which we can't tell is whether the repeater has stopped transmitting, possibly because your signal is not reaching the repeater.

Originally I tried gettings the radio to receive on the alternate timeslot to the one it was transmitting on, but I was getting some strange effects on the DMR audio when I did this, which is a shame as it would have allowed us to monitor whether the repeater was still transmitting.

Anyway, have a play with this version, and see if this simple solution is worth including
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

DG3GSP

Re: Experimental version with DMR Talk Permit tone

Post by DG3GSP » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am

Many thanks for this feature! It´s very usefull with a speakermike :D

p.s. the name tx start beep is maybe slightly dimmish - this function is normaly labeled as talk permit tone

IK8JHL

Post by IK8JHL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 am

Originally I tried gettings the radio to receive on the alternate timeslot to the one it was transmitting on, but I was getting some strange effects on the DMR audio when I did this, which is a shame as it would have allowed us to monitor whether the repeater was still transmitting.

But even in that case there is no security that we are the ones to commit it, someone else could use the repeater on the other Time Slot, however always better than nothing :)

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 am

is it just me.... lol

cant see an option called 'tx start beep'

however the radio does bleep when i press the ptt

is that what is supposed to happen?

sorry if i'm just having a senior moment :D

IK8JHL

Post by IK8JHL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am

m1dyp wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 am
is it just me.... lol

cant see an option called 'tx start beep'

however the radio does bleep when i press the ptt

is that what is supposed to happen?

sorry if i'm just having a senior moment :D
There are no option in menu :D ,beep its enable all the time in this experimental version
Last edited by IK8JHL on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am

ok thank you very much

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm

not annoying and useful tone. Roger if you can also activate other tones (end audio, start audio etc. etc.) and always if you can, enable tones on request from the menu. thank you
Sal

n7rde

Post by n7rde » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:26 pm

tx tone is good - thanks

Ron N7RDE

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Does this need to be an option ?

It sounds like most people would always enable it.

So if I add an option, it would default ON.

BTW.

I had some feedback from Colin and it seems that the Talk Permit tone system is only available when waking the repeater, there does not seems to be an official DMR system for confirming whether a repeater which is already transmitting can hear your signal.

However, we already have a partial way to do this, because if you transmit and then release the PTT, you will see your own callsign in the echo from the repeater.

There are a few other things which I could try.

e.g.

If the other TS appears to be free, then occasionally transmit on TG9 on the other TS and listen for a response.

However, at the moment listening on the other TS causes Tx audio problems.

The other thing that could be done, is every few seconds, don't transmit on the current TS, but instead listen on that TS for your own echo.
But this would cause small drops in the audio which may or map not be noticable

I should probably try to debug why we can't switch Rx on alternate timeslots when communicating to a Motorola repeater. (as it works OK with a simplex and and I think duplex hotspot)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Ik0nwg wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm
not annoying and useful tone. Roger if you can also activate other tones (end audio, start audio etc. etc.) and always if you can, enable tones on request from the menu. thank you
Sal
This will take a lot more work, and I don't have time at the moment, as I have many other things I'm doing.

I think Permit tone is the most important.

Perhaps some other dev's can work out how to determine whether the other station has finished transmitting etc